Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind As Above So Below

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've seen some really good content and story mods, actually.

But yeah, the first things that meet the eye when browsing mod sites are huge tit mods, furry races, cocks and überswords. But hey, that's the case with most games that have easy-to-use mod tools.

Luzur

Good Sir
to bad that both those Imperial City reborn mods died, those had promise to actually make the IC into its lore counterpart.

but theres still that Elsweyr world mod and maybe Tamriel Rebuilt will be finished when i turn 65.

DraQ

Arcane
hakuroshi said:
On the other hand, the location of Boethian destroyed shrine can be guessed from some specific rumor (accompanied by some BS).
And the Nord burial site is told by some pub patron after bying him a drink.
And the
burial site of Mordrin Hanin
can be inferred from a book found in a
literally roadside cavern

JarlFrank said:
hakuroshi said:
Yes, maps... precious...
I wonder if an "unmarked shipwreck" is on them as well.

No, its not. I just checked.

Damn, Morrowind's map was awesome.
Well, it's unmarked. :smug:

JarlFrank said:
I'd say they were too spread out, actually. The world seemed horribly empty. Probably also because there were almost no smaller towns and every place just existed in order to be a quest location.
If I was expected to make OB work with the worldspace it had, I would make all of it the Imperial City island plus some nearby islands with some token wilderness, etc. on them, surround everything with infinitely generated water cells of Rumare and throw distant shores in the skybox.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
DraQ said:
hakuroshi said:
On the other hand, the location of Boethian destroyed shrine can be guessed from some specific rumor (accompanied by some BS).
And the

So, where is that
burial site of Mordrin Hanin?
I never found it and didn't find anything about it in the wiki either.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
DraQ said:
hakuroshi said:
And the

So, where is that
burial site of Mordrin Hanin?
I never found it and didn't find anything about it in the wiki either.
You probably were there - it's Ibar-Dad. The point is you can infer, or at least approximate it's location to an area that can be reasonably searched on foot simply by reading a seemingly random book find in a seemingly random roadside bandit hideout cave Palansour.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ah yes, I remember that place. I found it by random exploration, actually. And then found the archaeologists in there. One of the more awesome dungeons in Morrowind.

Also, another awesome but obscure thing: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_Lucky_Coin

Stuff like that is what I missed in Oblivion. There was exactly one dungeon in OB that had some awesome backstory buried within, being a cave that led deeper into an Ayleid ruin. I forgot which cave that was, though. Not far away from the Imperial City's island.

You run into another one of the Divines during the Imperial Cult quests. If you don't say anything about it when you return to Pelegiad, everything ends normally. Mention the weird guy who chatted with you, and then gave you a token of appreciation, and your quest-giver freaks out.

roll-a-die

Magister
JarlFrank said:
Ah yes, I remember that place. I found it by random exploration, actually. And then found the archaeologists in there. One of the more awesome dungeons in Morrowind.

Also, another awesome but obscure thing: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_Lucky_Coin

Stuff like that is what I missed in Oblivion. There was exactly one dungeon in OB that had some awesome backstory buried within, being a cave that led deeper into an Ayleid ruin. I forgot which cave that was, though. Not far away from the Imperial City's island.

Sideways Cave... Ehm there's a few aylied ruins like that as well. Uhm maybe fanasquel or another of the ruins on the red ring road. Basically you enter and it's just another bandit ruin. But you find notes around the ruin about noises coming from the lower part. Turns out there's a Necromancer in the area below whos been killing and resurrecting allot of bandits.

I actually killed him the first game I saw him. Thought he was some random Mudcrab slumming near a Dwemer ruin.

Bit of a surprise when I heard about him, and got directions. Whoops.

roll-a-die

Magister
I think everyone kills him the first time they see him without having looked at spoilers.

Luzur

Good Sir
roll-a-die said:
JarlFrank said:

Sideways Cave... Ehm there's a few aylied ruins like that as well. Uhm maybe fanasquel or another of the ruins on the red ring road. Basically you enter and it's just another bandit ruin. But you find notes around the ruin about noises coming from the lower part. Turns out there's a Necromancer in the area below whos been killing and resurrecting allot of bandits.

its the first ruin you encounter after fleeing the sewers. some khajiit have disappeared from the bandit group and you find her dead behind a secret door.

Monocause

Arcane
I found a mod that pretty much fixed the game for me:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=5380

The most important thigs it does (all are optional, so if you don't like some of these, you don't have to use it):

- Remove the scamp and mudcrab merchants
- Boost the mercantile skills of merchants
- Multiplies training costs by x5
- Hugely increases the bounties for breaking the law, as well as reduces the Thieves' guild 'discount'.
- Sets the price of player-made potions to 0.

What are the implications?

- You no longer can get filthy rich in an hour, even if going gung-ho thief right from the start. You don't get filthy rich at all (at least for a long time) since
- You now really have to carefully decide which skill training do you want to purchase. Training a skill from lvl 5 to 10 used to cost ~250-300 gp, now it costs about 1500. Without Scamp and Mudcrab you'll be really hard pressed to gather that kind of money and you'll want to spend it wisely.
- Mercantile skill is now really, really useful, as are personality and personality-boosting items and spells.

I recommend this mod to everyone, makes the game much better. Coupled with Galsiah's CD mod and some self-restraint (ie. not frenzying someone to get his ebony stuff) it makes the game mechanics almost bearable and powergaming an almost feasible option.

.Sigurd

Educated
snowskadi-morrowind_days.jpg

Creeper just wants to bang on his drum, that poor mage is *still* falling thanks to the Scrolls of Icarian Flight, and Jiub can't seem to leave the prisoner ship in the background.

roll-a-die said:
JarlFrank said:

Sideways Cave is the one partially destroyed by giant roots? That one had a cool story, with diary fragments all over the place. The archeologist was trying to translate what the writings on the walls meant, but the transcripts are incomplete and he needs to guess meanings and words. Apparently a daedra destroyed the place after they stopped worshipping her (iirc). I was thinking the roots were naturally occurring until then.

roll-a-die

Magister
Clockwork Knight said:
roll-a-die said:
JarlFrank said:

Sideways Cave is the one partially destroyed by giant roots? That one had a cool story, with diary fragments all over the place. The archeologist was trying to translate what the writings on the walls meant, but the transcripts are incomplete and he needs to guess meanings and words. Apparently a daedra destroyed the place after they stopped worshipping her (iirc). I was thinking the roots were naturally occurring until then.

Twas Meridia if I recall correctly.

DraQ

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
that poor mage is *still* falling thanks to the Scrolls of Icarian Flight
I prefer "dumb", rather than "poor".

Later in game I often make myself similar spell (but based on different effects) or amulet for quick travel - except mine comes with integrated airbrake. :smug:

I have no clue. I like the various references, though. It even has the Bull Netch you were expected to kill with a fork in order to get a Daedric artifact. Apparently a couple folks failed at it.

And a missing texture icon...like anyone who's ever modded Morrowind isn't familiar with that.

roll-a-die

Magister
There was a race mod that was popular for a while the included Orjiit(Orc khajit cross breeds) I thinks thats what that is.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
A friend I had years ago told me while I was playing Morrowind that he loved the main theme but it always summoned in his mind the image of two armies of naked warriors, facing each other on opposite sides of a valley, and each and every one of those warrior was firmly holding his own cock, huge and fully erect, like a spear, ready to run to battle at any moment.

To this day I also can't shake that image when I listen to the Morrowind theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom