Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most annoying non-obvious things in modern gaming

Iucounu

Educated
Hints and secrets on loading screens.
Agreed. If it was important advice, maybe it should be put in a manual or tutorial instead? Otherwise it's nothing but spoilers for gameplay mechanics that the player would perhaps like to find out by himself.

Iucounu

Educated
Nonskippable logos or safety advisories before reaching the main menu.
I've played The Long Dark less than a year, but in that short time it seems the number of new screens increase with almost every update. Currently there's one saying the developers "do not condone the destruction of wildlife" (as if the players will go mass-murdering rabbits after playing the game); another one that it's a studio that "cares about its players" (yet forces updates incompatible with previous saves); and most recently an unskippable epilepsy warning. I suppose lawyers are to blame for all this?

rubinstein

Educated
-Music/soundtracks have become extremely subdued to not scare away those with narrow tastes. again not a very subtle decline but I seem to be the only one that ever complains about this, which is shocking.
:negative:

Retards whining about the System Shock 2 soundtrack was the beginning of this.
:obviously: I like you. "Retards" would be my desired word choice in this context too, regardless of the high degree of subjectivity involved with music taste. Even if you dislike the 4 astounding and diverse yet entirely fitting Drum n Bass tracks because you got beat with the sissy stick and obviously chugged too much soy, the majority of the remaining music (8 tracks?) is indivisive, subtle, horror, tension-building masterpieces, and the game's soundtrack is, like many greats of the 90s, absolutely as important to the experience as the gameplay, visuals, story and whatever else. Fucking retards is right!

I love the SS2 soundtrack. I really don't understand the people who mute it.

Always felt the pounding tracks lent urgency rather than taking away from the atmosphere.
i absolutely agree with everything said here. i also love weird soundtracks in games, i dont care if it scares the hoes - me included. if its weird and i dont like it, then thats fair, maybe others can appreciate it. unless its poorly mixed or low quality, then i dont mind. anything that adds some personality to the game is welcome.

there is this mod called "fire the drummer" or something like this, that removes the soundtrack (or at least the "dreaded" dnb tracks) from the the game. it is one of the most popular SS2 nexus mods. this is genuinely sad. a reminder that you can sweat and produce something amazing and people still wont be able to appreciate it.

Iucounu

Educated
Japanese game developers feel like they have to include a main menu trailer but most of the times these are montages of cinematics from various points in the story since they don't want to spend extra money making them and can be extremely spoilerific like badly made modern movie trailers that spoil the entire plot of a film. Always have to skip them in Yakuzas and I think Nier Replicant had one as well but I always skipped so can't say for certain it was full of spoilers.
I remember that from Crysis 2, that game too started by spoiling almost every cinematic cutscene, making them even less interesting when you finally got to play the game. Perhaps the assumption is that stupid players have already forgotten about the intro when seeing them again?

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
-Music/soundtracks have become extremely subdued to not scare away those with narrow tastes. again not a very subtle decline but I seem to be the only one that ever complains about this, which is shocking.
I don't understand, can't you change that in the game options? Perhaps people need/want different levels depending on if you use speakers or headphones.

Ash

Arcane
I agree, but I think the feeling against music comes from the MMO period. Any music will grate after you've heard it enough times, and in MMOs you'd be hearing it a lot, so eventually you would turn it off. I think that gradually transformed into the meme "Oh I automatically switch off the music in games," so developers probably put less emphasis on it. A lot of the single player RPGs we like here do have good music though - everything from the Shadowrun games to the Owlcat games, the Larian games, etc.

True, the modern cRPG is a genre that doesn't seem too impacted by the musical decline. But they are lower budget games often made with Kickstarter money, so it can be justified. Almost any other genre it's serious decline.

Also MMOs are retarded so it's no wonder that they spawned retard decline faggots.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I don't understand, can't you change that in the game options? Perhaps people need/want different levels depending on if you use speakers or headphones.

What I mean is presence and style. Many 90s games the music was often so important, it was by my standards as important as the story if not more so. To me, a story is optional, a good soundtrack is not. Done right it enhances adrenaline, atmosphere and mood, emotion during plot scenes, adds identity to a location, even identity to a character and more. It just elevates gaming to another plane of enjoyment and depth.

What I specifically mean is, games these days do not barely even have music anymore, but very subtle ambient droning. You will definitely not find anything that could exclude certain people based on taste - no drum & bass, hard house or metal for example. Music follows the sellout standard of everything else modern vidja - appeal to all, very few exceptions. And it does this by making music largely ambient and often not even present at all.

Elthosian

Arcane
:negative:

Retards whining about the System Shock 2 soundtrack was the beginning of this.

Don't remind me of how they butchered SS1's soundtrack in the remake :/ Fuck. Executive was 10/10.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom