Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Must Play" / Favorite Games

Longshanks

Augur
TripJack said:
Emotional Vampire said:
What makes a game "must play"? Or is this just list your fav vidya thred?

No we should all list games that we hate as 'must-play,' clearly. Or maybe we should just list the 4-5 games the codex deems worthy of anyone enjoying before it beats off daily to their greatness. You're an ass.
There is a difference between must play and favourite. Emo Vamp's correct; in one you're trying to be a little objective as you are recommending to others what they should play, in the other you're free to be as subjective as you like. A list of must play games is usually an attempt at gathering together the standouts across genres.

Unlike Emo Vamp, I do not think games should be listed as must play simply for historical purposes. I'd include these in a list of "most important" games. Must play, for me are those at the peak of their genre, not the originators.

My list contains some games I may have had fun with, but are not amongst my favourites (AOE 2 for instance). I recognise these games as peerless within their genre, or in a particular aspect, attempting to put aside my personal preference.

Not that I have a problem with this being a list of favourites, just not what I expected from a must play list.

laclongquan

Arcane
'dated' is just an euphemism for "look ugly as sin in today cheap graphic cards". I dont really want to say that straight out.

And I hold to what I said. Cross is just plainly better than Trigger. Trigger's graphic art go the direction of Dragon Quest the manga, Disnay's cartoon and plain boringness. Also dont forget the SNES art quality.

Like I stated in another thread, Codexians a bunch of anti-Japanese fanboys. nough said.

PS: As to Final Fantasy 7, the less said the better. It was pretty good the time it's introduced, but RPG has gone to higher peaks after it pretty much repeatedly. Anything it can do, other games can do it better. Minigames? FF8 is better?Characters? ditto. About the only thing going for it is the post apocalyptic feelings (not game reality) you get from going through it.

Phelot

Arcane
Marathon
Pathways into Darkness
Maniac Mansion
Blade of Darkness
Syndicate
Dongs: The Quest
Wing Commander
Need for Speed 2

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm currently playing Tachyon: The Fringe. It isn't any kind of masterpiece by far (and lacks FreeSpace 2 level of combat) but so far I think it's the best NovaLogic's arcade. NovaLogic even managed to pull that non-linearity part off (you are forced to choose between two sides not too long into the game and then you have a totally different set of missions and encounters with both of them - not like in those other games that do the same 15 minutes before the credits start rolling).

So I'd say you should give it a spin if you feel like playing one of them space arcades.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory
The Guild 2 - Pirates of the European Seas

laclongquan said:
And I hold to what I said. Cross is just plainly better than Trigger. Trigger's graphic art go the direction of Dragon Quest the manga, Disnay's cartoon and plain boringness. Also dont forget the SNES art quality.

So Cross is better because it's more... KAWAII

Like I stated in another thread, Codexians a bunch of anti-Japanese fanboys. nough said.

I don't think you know what "fanboy" means.

PS: Get the fuck off my Codex japtard.

Silent Hill 1-3
Fallout 1/2
Psychonauts
Mafia
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
GTA Vice City/San Andreas
System Shock 2
Hitman Series (especially 4)
Super Mario World
Max Payne 1/2
Resident Evil 4
Serious Sam First Encounter/Second Encounter

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know... pretty hard list to make, and lists suck anyway.

Hard not to pick favorites either though it's bound to happen.

Guess I'll give it a shot.

Nethack (if you're a geek)
Ikaruga, Hellsinker (if you're a geek)
Super Mario Bros / World I guess
Street Fighter 2? Who didn't play SF 2! Hadouken, Hadouken, Hadouken!
Fallout probably.

Can't think of any must play dungeoncrawler... they're more of a niche genre by nerds for nerds.

Oooh right:

Turrican 2
The Last Ninja 2

Those were pretty big when they came out... still great. But must play? I'd definitely say at least of the two is.

Oh that's right:

Doom

^^^^

That's probably the only "must play". It started it all. I remember that ER episode where suddenly the entire staff is playing Doom. Or at least Dr. Green.

Else? Eh... can't think of any "must play" other than that. Shadow of the Colossus? It's at least worth a shot. You'll either think it's pretentious, eye-hurting or boring; but if you're one of the broken 10% you might find it really beautiful. Kinda like PST? Though that's not a must play.

Luzur

Good Sir
Jasede said:
Can't think of any must play dungeoncrawler... they're more of a niche genre by nerds for nerds.

for starters, to put some hair on your chest and man you up, Bards Tale series.

also, Wizardry (as mentioned earlier), Dragon Wars, Legacy of the Ancients, Magic Candle series and Dungeon Master.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
But a must play? It's a terrible game IMO. Pretty hardcore though. I thought I was the shit for playing Wizardry 1 to the end with no save scumming (party dead? fuck you, you can't reload! go make some level 1's and rescue them, from dungeon level 11 ...)

And I thought Bard's Tale was unplayable.... random encounters while standing still? Fuck you, seriously...

But a must play? More of a dusty relic for nostalgic peeps that grew up with it, kinda like Lands of Lore is for me (that's my, younger generation).

Phelot

Arcane
Dongs: The Quest
91.jpg

Maniac Mansion
26908-126996-ManiacMansion1png-620x.jpg

Blade of Darkness
blade-of-darkness-pc.1529768.jpg

J1M

Arcane
Since it is Xmas time and my gaming rig has trouble making it through the airport's weight restrictions, this thread is now about Nintendo DS games that are must play.

Let's hear the suggestions.

larpingdude18

Educated
J1M said:
Since it is Xmas time and my gaming rig has trouble making it through the airport's weight restrictions, this thread is now about Nintendo DS games that are must play.

Let's hear the suggestions.

The World Ends With You (!!!)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Phoenix Wright 1-3
Dragon Quest IV-V
Chrono Trigger
Elite Beat Agents

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That new might & magic game is the only game for the DS I'd consider playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom