Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My belated review of arcanum

bryce777

Erudite
Ok, I have just replayed it (well most of it) for about the 6th time and I find I have the urge to write a mini review.

The good:
Amazing in the sense that it is the only game I have played where all of the stats are just as useful as any other stat. The only exception is beauty, really. For the right kind of character, all the others are of great use. You can make a successful character build on nearly any premise imaginable, including magic versus technology.

You can get really far in the game as a conversationalist, and the options are very satisfying. You also do not automatically know what the 'good' response is so even if you have the right skills you have to use your brain a little. I don't think any other game does as well on this front. A persuasive character can't really entirely avoid combat (except by running from wild animals a lot), but he can get together a group that can handle it for him. He could also use nonlethal combat if he chose. It is the only game I have played where all the noncombat options actually made sense and were actually more satisfying a lot of times than the other options available. You can also solve a lot of quests in ways that are not entirely obvious, as well. Such as building a big stone fence to solve a particular quest.

Technological stuff is just immensely fun. Digging through garbage and turning it into useful stuff is a great experience. The descriptions are great, it's fun to hunt for stuff - pretty much everything is great...until you realize most of the things you can make are totally worthless.

The bad:

Technology:
The technology is really fun, but it does not take much digging to realize that it is extremely unbalanced. For example you can make a balanced sword as a first level character, and it is the second best melee weapon in the game! Once you have this one, nothing you find comes CLOSE til near the end of the game and only one melee weapon is clearly superior. The reason that it is so strong is because it has a ludicrously unbalanced attack speed - you can get in 7-8 attacks per round, and when you have a high strength that lets you drop just about anything in the game in one round. Firearms are also broken because you can get a looking glass rifle only having about have the skills in the smithy tech. Worse than that, you can have an npc make them for you, and you can also obtain an elephant gun in several places which is slightly stronger than a looking glas rifle.

The only tech tree that is clearly worth it is explosives. Again, though, there is an ULIMATE WEAPON halfway down the tech tree; if you have stun grenades you can win any battle whatsoever with ease...especially if you have the balanced sword or looking glass rifle. The explosive grenades are really just useless in comparison though they sell for a ton of money. Dynamite is useful to blow up doors and such, though, I suppose. When throwing grenades, you can keep throwing til you run out, and then attack normally. It is severely broken.

Even worse, half the disciplines have no practial use whatsoever. The items you can build are so weak that it is pointless, especially since to get to the doctoral level in one you have to spend 7 character points...which means gaining seven levels then throwing the result out the window. Not to mention that you need to max your int before going to doctorate level in anything. All the venomed, charged, etc weapons are just totally worthless, and yet extremely difficult to build.

The game has a great character system...and you are not allowed to choose how your followers level. The leveling schemes, at best, can be referred to as "really fucking stupid". Want to use guns? Tough shit! There are only two characters who use guns and one does not join you til you have pretty much won the game, and the other betrays you later in the game. Don't want to pick locks yourself? Tough shit! Lots of locks have to be picked and there is only one npc who can help with that, and he is hard to get and will only stay if your party is evil (and unless you indiscriminantly slaughter every person alive it is hard to be evil in the game).

The realtime combat is unplayable. The turnbased combat would be ok, except it basically freezes for no reason every once in a while, especially if you have a bunch of followers, forcing you into realtime mode for a bit to clear it. The AI is REALLY bad for melee characters, who will run in really inefficient ways to the wrong enemy, and of course almost all of the npcs you can get ARE melee characters. The enemy ALWAYS seems to attack the main character, too, even when this makes zero sense. So forget about having a character who doesn't have dodge skills and wear armor.

Your idiot followers also decide what weapons and armor they want to use, and they choose this extremely idiotically so it is hard to have them carry around loot for you. They will start shooting a bow even though they have no skill in bows whatsoever. They also tend to pick up garbage from the floor too. For the longest time, virgil had zero stamina all the time. I had no idea why. I went to his inventory at some point, and he had picked up a 4000 stone monolith from a field somewhere. I got a good laugh, but that is pretty stupid.

It's not as nonlinear as people claim. Actually, it is not any more nonlinear than PST. The only difference is that the area you have access to at any one time is larger than in PST. You always go to this area, then that, then the next, etc. etc.

The interface is also pretty bad. You get used to a lot of its goofiness, but the fact you can have an area map OR a world map from a certain location, and not both, is annoying...especially since a lot of times it's totally unclear where you are supposed to go, but then you hit the map and it goes to the useless world map. It also gets annoying having to run to the edge of the city maps to get to the world map.

Also, a lot of times people attack you for no reason. Often this happens in conversations where you choose an option not realizing it will lead to combat, but other times people just attack out of the blue and then your idiot followers complain about assaulting an innocent.

Overall, I liked it a lot, but the problems it has keep it from being a game where I can't believe how awesome it is.

To be honest, I was trying to get this to run on my computer recently, and it not being a copy I personally bought myself, I came upon the snag that there are no no-cd cracks for the latest version, 1074. All the sites I usually depend on for that sort of thing provided me with trojan backdoors instead of the actual exe...almost made me want to buy the damn game........almost...

LlamaGod

Cipher
It's not as nonlinear as people claim. Actually, it is not any more nonlinear than PST. The only difference is that the area you have access to at any one time is larger than in PST. You always go to this area, then that, then the next, etc. etc.

It's non-linear in the sense you have multiple ways to accomplish things. THere is a difference between non-linearity and freeform.

Overall, the good outweighs the bad in Arcanum.

You forgot to mention the great storyline and just how unique the characters you can make can be.

Not to mention the great roleplaying the game provides by responding to your specific character design.

bryce777

Erudite
The definition of nonlinear would be that you do not go in a line, ie that you can do things in more than one order, not more than one way. Multiple solutions are also good. I also mentioned you could play about any character imaginable - and more importantly actually have that character be useful. You are not ridiculously gimped if you don't spend 4 hours figuring out what combo to make.

On the other hand, it really surprises me nobody bitches about the brigands at the exit to the town. That really pissed me off and was annoying. There are multiple ways to get past them, but if you are roleplaying as a gunslinger you will not have much money, you won't have sogg mead mugg to help you kick their ass, and you won't have lockpicking or pickpocket skills, and you would not want to destroy sabotage the construction of the other bridge if you are good. So much more inconvenient and contrived than the temple in fallout 2, yet for some reason no one bitches about it.

Now, obviously I like the game a lot or I would not have replayed it several times. The reason I feel the need to vent is that it is very frustrating to see something so innovative and amazing as the system for the tech stuff completely botched due to very obvious balance problems that would be extremely easy to fix. It also was not overhyped like every minuscule feature of most games, which then turn out to be totally idiotic. It was like buying a house, finding a mazerati int he garage, jumping in and almost having an orgasm...then you get out on the road and gun it, only to realize that it has a governor that keeps it from going over 35 miles an hour.

damaged_drone

Novice
its the best character system ive ever seen (i havent seen all that many to be fair) and once youve seen the crafting system all the other games either fucking it up or not even trying seem ridiculous. (bar MW alchemy which is for the most part identical). i never got past caladon because a certain go to an island and look around quest left me utterly unresolved and confused and the elite plate i had recently made for myself looked retarded. :roll:

LlamaGod

Cipher
4h.jpg

Relien

Scholar
bryce777 said:
Even worse, half the disciplines have no practial use whatsoever. The items you can build are so weak that it is pointless, especially since to get to the doctoral level in one you have to spend 7 character points...which means gaining seven levels then throwing the result out the window. Not to mention that you need to max your int before going to doctorate level in anything.

Yeah, that's true. I used potions of intelligence when increasing my tech skills, then I had to use tech manuals when actually building an item. It's quite acceptable that way.

EDIT: and about lockpicking - wasn't there a bug that prevented npcs from picking locks for you?

bryce777

Erudite
Relien said:
bryce777 said:
Even worse, half the disciplines have no practial use whatsoever. The items you can build are so weak that it is pointless, especially since to get to the doctoral level in one you have to spend 7 character points...which means gaining seven levels then throwing the result out the window. Not to mention that you need to max your int before going to doctorate level in anything.

Yeah, that's true. I used potions of intelligence when increasing my tech skills, then I had to use tech manuals when actually building an item. It's quite acceptable that way.

EDIT: and about lockpicking - wasn't there a bug that prevented npcs from picking locks for you?

I think they fixed that. Unfortunately there are no permanent NPCs that have any skill in lockpicking. The one guy you can't get til 15th level and he betrays you later on, and the other guy only joins you temporarily and he is far less powerful than your party and generally just sort of sucks.

The manuals are useful, but I need to find some way to store those stupid things somewhere without losing them; they are not only expensive but incredibly heavy.

If there were only 5 levels of each and you could skip over some schematics, the tech stuff would be about ten times less sucky.

Even just making the speed on the balanced sword 10 instead of 18 would make things make much more sense. That and make it so throwing stuff takes some time during combat and it would be much, much better.

Relien

Scholar
bryce777 said:
The manuals are useful, but I need to find some way to store those stupid things somewhere without losing them; they are not only expensive but incredibly heavy.

Hmm, I never tried any other containers, but those chests in the sewers beneath Tarant work well. I put all of my "maybe-I-will-need-it-later" stuff there.

Even just making the speed on the balanced sword 10 instead of 18 would make things make much more sense.

Yeah, I was a technologist and I was dissapointed with (nearly) every weapon after the balanced sword. Magnus with his strength was unstoppable when wielding that. And I used the looking glass rifle till the end, IIRC it had the best (DAMAGE*RATE_OF_FIRE*ACCURACY/AMMO_COST), it's only disadvantage was that it was two handed.

Jora

Arcane
Arcanum's greatest wonder is that even with all its terrible, terrible faults (horrible interface and controls, bugginess [many of the quests are broken], unbalance and other mistakes) it's still maybe the best game ever made. The world captures my imagination in a way no other game does, the character system makes it possible to play many different roles, the story is intriguing and cleverly tied to the history of the world. There are also some really great quests, such as the peace negotiations and the gnome conspiracy

bryce777

Erudite
Relien said:
bryce777 said:

Hmm, I never tried any other containers, but those chests in the sewers beneath Tarant work well. I put all of my "maybe-I-will-need-it-later" stuff there.

Even just making the speed on the balanced sword 10 instead of 18 would make things make much more sense.

Yeah, I was a technologist and I was dissapointed with (nearly) every weapon after the balanced sword. Magnus with his strength was unstoppable when wielding that. And I used the looking glass rifle till the end, IIRC it had the best (DAMAGE*RATE_OF_FIRE*ACCURACY/AMMO_COST), it's only disadvantage was that it was two handed.

Well, the big problem with the other weapons is that they eat bullets FAR too quickly. It's just fucking insane.

Bullets are far, far too expensive to buy in quantity until later in the game, and simply not available int he quantities you would need if you were to use something like the mechanized gun.

What irks me is that these problems are the sorts of things that you should play the game once through and go "Oh shit! Let's spend some time tweaking the game. Hmm, we'll make bullets much cheaper and available in greater quantities so that guns besides the looking glass rifle are useable. Looks like there was a typo on the balanced sword's speed - better cut it in half. We'll lower the cross-skill requirements for found schematics by 50% or so. Let's change the order of some of these schematics or rebalance them a tad because the higher level ones are often weaker than the lower level ones. Ok, do you guys think you can have this done by lunch tomorrow?"

If it were something painfully difficult to do, I could understand it. I guess that is the story of troika, though; a couple more WEEKS patching toee and it could have been a much, much better game.

I hate modding because I am impatient, but I get so frustrated by this and like the game so much that in this case I am seriously tempted to look into what it takes to mod the game - not for anyone else, but just for myself.

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
I really need to try this game again. I played it a couple years ago and gave up almost immediately when I found myself in some gave fighting rats (or something equally idiotic) and dumpster diving. If I wanted to live the life of a homeless man, I could just quit my job.

I also found the exposition somewhat tedious in the small portion of the game I played, but I'll take your guys' word that it picks up. [EDIT: Why hasn't there been a fan patch? I thought Arcanum was highly moddable?]

Of course, I also found Vampire TM: Redemption unbearably tedious, so maybe I just have different tastes.

bryce777

Erudite
WouldBeCreator said:
I really need to try this game again. I played it a couple years ago and gave up almost immediately when I found myself in some gave fighting rats (or something equally idiotic) and dumpster diving. If I wanted to live the life of a homeless man, I could just quit my job.

I also found the exposition somewhat tedious in the small portion of the game I played, but I'll take your guys' word that it picks up. [EDIT: Why hasn't there been a fan patch? I thought Arcanum was highly moddable?]

Of course, I also found Vampire TM: Redemption unbearably tedious, so maybe I just have different tastes.

Well, there may be a fan patch - I know there are a lot of mods, but I am not sure of the details of them. The problem is that until you actually play, it is hard to tell what a mod does and I find almost invariably that fan patches/mods do an extremely poor job when it comes to balancing a game...usually they just add stupid things in, or else make the difficulty level ridiculously high, or else make changes for no good reason that obviously go against the intended design - ala the bloodlines fan 'patch' changing the gun names to real world names.

Redemption is a dungeon crawler with a good storyline. It is the only action rpg I can think of that I actually enjoyed. Arcanum is a far different beast. It has its quirks, but I think it is a very good game in spite of them.

LaDoushe

Scholar
To address something mentioned earlier, the dresser in your hotel room has always proved adequate storage for my needs.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nope, as far as I know. I love that game, and while tech is weak, it's kinda fun playing a tech character, because if you're halfway decent in bartering and trading, you'll be rich as all hell.

Seven

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Nope, as far as I know. I love that game, and while tech is weak, it's kinda fun playing a tech character, because if you're halfway decent in bartering and trading, you'll be rich as all hell.

If you want money then be thief; it's fun to rob shop keepers while they sleep: gold, weapons, scolls, items--you name it and I stole it. This is the one game where I actually enjoyed playing as a thief and all you really need is a mediocre sneak skill and about 3 points in lockpick, then BAM.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm playing right now as a wandering Paladin, adept in swordplay and healing magicks. In terms of setting, writing and breadth it's one of the greatest games I've ever played. I heart Arcanum, even with its countless flaws.

LlamaGod

Cipher
The closest thing to a fan-patch would be Chris Beddoe's CARArcanum mod, he used to hang around here but disappeared awhile ago.

It was a pretty cool mod, but he added some really retarded shit. He wanted to make the game harder so there is like level 80 creatures and death traps all over the fucking place around the Zephyr crash.

Also, he writes english horribly. So all the dialog he's added reads like ass.

But he balances out the magic/tech/whatever stuff really well, adds more options to the game and they're pretty cool.

Theres also a car you can get to ride, but he fucked up and made it look like a 1920s car instead of an 1880s car.

bryce777

Erudite
Yeah, I could go the rest of my life without disarming a fucking trap again,t hat's for damn sure. That is what I hate about fan mods/patches - they tend to fix one then and then just fuck the living hell out of something else.

The changes I want honestly aren't so dramatic - perhaps I will make a fix that only changes the tech items around a bit and makes them reasonably balanced....

Jason

chasing a bee
"Also, he writes english horribly. So all the dialog he's added reads like ass."

His posts here are the reason I never tried his mods. A mod for a game like Arcanum needs to have sharp writing, and he didn't really seem up to the task.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That, and his conspiracy theories really blew chunks. FUnny to read, but really stupid and farfetched. Hell, mine about the Mafia and Castro partnering up to kill kennedy through Russian gun traffickers makes more sense than some of his.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom