Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My belated review of arcanum

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
His mod introduced an another way of getting past the bandits at the bridge, but the other features were not too interesting unfortunately.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I installed it for kicks, since a 'polished' version came out last year.

It's better but there still some stupid shit.

I walked over to a pile of money next to the crash and got hit with a poison trap and a trap that drained my fatigue, so I layed there dying, with the poison getting continually worse.

Virgil then walks over and takes the other pile of money and get sthe same thing, then we both just layed there until we died.

Also there was like 7 wolves attacking each other next to us

Lomer

Liturgist
bryce777 said:
Unfortunately there are no permanent NPCs that have any skill in lockpicking. The one guy you can't get til 15th level and he betrays you later on, and the other guy only joins you temporarily and he is far less powerful than your party and generally just sort of sucks.

Well, I think that Sebastian (the guy you can recruit during the Willoughsby's quest in the Boil in Tarant) has tolerable lock picking skills. The problem is that he will join you only after returning from Quintarra.

As to the other lock picking guy, who betrays you later on, you could actually avoid the betrayal, if you have followed Elder Joachim's instructions and have obtained certain journal (you should talk about it with the traitor's boss, when he personally confronts you later in the game).

LlamaGod

Cipher
Car arcanum lets you assign classes to your follwers and pick their ability stuff, which is one thing I liked.

bryce777

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Car arcanum lets you assign classes to your follwers and pick their ability stuff, which is one thing I liked.

Really? Well damn - I would have gotten that one first thing if I realized it. I will definitely check it out.

It especially irks me that everyone is a melee character when the pathfinding is too stupid to deal with melee.

LlamaGod

Cipher
It has some nice class-designing options and some good schematics and balances to the game system.

It's alright, I guess, just the first area is alot alot less cool then it used to be.

chuft

Augur
CarArcanum

The mods in CarArcanum are so extensive and complex that I really wonder where Chris got his information on how to mod the game so extensively. I have never run across anywhere near the kind and volume of information on the Net that would allow me to make a mod like that.

For that matter I wonder where Drog gets his info. Did someone inherit lots of technical specs from a Troika employee?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Re: CarArcanum

chuft said:
The mods in CarArcanum are so extensive and complex that I really wonder where Chris got his information on how to mod the game so extensively.
Perhaps he read the WorldEd manual?

Arcanum is one of the most easily moddable games, btw. Even with out the manual, everything is pretty much self explanatory.

He's right. Most of the important things are done via notepad/wordpad with the mes files anyways.

fake edit: grave digger lawl
real edit: and the troika team left a bunch of notes all over the codes with info and tips and w/e.

chuft

Augur
I've done quite a bit of Arcanum modding and have not found it to be easy. I was not aware of the WorldEd manual, didn't come with WorldEd for some reason, but I never paid much attention to WorldEd anyway because I am more interested in tweaking things in the main module than making new ones.

I have managed to do some hex editing of proto files thanks to Otto Krupp's proto docs (and more recently, some Russian translated proto doc) but it has been a challenge, for sure.

Most of the work I am doing on my mod is new quests, visitable Cattan, and whatnot. I have not delved deeply enough into the technical side of things to make an opinion.

Talon Tremor

Novice
Shota Shernokavich said:
Most of the work I am doing on my mod is new quests, visitable Cattan, and whatnot. I have not delved deeply enough into the technical side of things to make an opinion.
All talk no action Jooo!11!! L0locaust!

Talon Tremor said:
Shota Shernokavich said:
All talk no action Jooo!11!! L0locaust!

I know I shouldn't answer this seriously, but here: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

details and screenshots on nearly every page. Chinknigger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom