Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Fallout 3 impressions.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mr. Teatime said:
Wasn't keen on meeting the Brotherhood and killing supermutants at this stage, either.
go meet the outcasts then. they are essentially the old brotherhood, only evil, stupid, and running around in black'n red armor.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Okay, corrected on the repair issue. But you have still listed a bunch of gripes, most of them minor (like that repair one), yet omitted all the stuff the game does well. I won't bother listing them, read some of Chefe's posts for most of them. Your major gripe about the dialogue etc is just a sweeping generalisation which does not capture how the game actually plays.

The fact is, you are over-reacting in the negative, simply because of the title of the game.

raziel014

Novice
I'm actually a bit surprised you guys seem to like this game, even though it's made by Bethesda. I remeber reading these forums alot just before Oblivion was launched and by that time, Bethesda had just confirmed that they were working on Fallout 3. And you guys thought the world was going to end. Turns out, Fallout 3 isn't Oblivion with guns huh? Neato.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
raziel014 said:
I'm actually a bit surprised you guys seem to like this game, even though it's made by Bethesda. I remeber reading these forums alot just before Oblivion was launched and by that time, Bethesda had just confirmed that they were working on Fallout 3. And you guys thought the world was going to end. Turns out, Fallout 3 isn't Oblivion with guns huh? Neato.

It actually is some kind of Oblivion with guns, only a lot better. Especially in the beginning it feels a lot like Oblivion: same engine, similar game mechanics, melee combat feels exactly like in Oblivion etc... but it's a much better game than Oblivion. This is a huge step in the right direction for Bethesda. It even uses lots of skill checks, which surprised me quite a bit.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Someone said bethsoft know how to tell a great story via dungeons. Dungeons appear to be something they do well - currently I'm scavenging and exploring the Tepid Sewers, and it's a lot of fun. Living off mole rat meat.

Cuther

Novice
I do not agree on "very" good. I could agree with the good game part, but it has too many flaws, clunkiness, lack of polish, abismal quality of dialogues and voice acting, "controversial" combat, various bethesda branded stupidity to be considered a "very" good game

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Twinfalls said:
yet omitted all the stuff the game does well.
SuicideBunny said:
the game is moronic, but the fact that most quests have multiple ways to solve them is a huge fucking step-up from oblivion.
which is pretty much the only well done thing in the game, imo.
the rest is nothing special

Your major gripe about the dialogue etc is just a sweeping generalisation which does not capture how the game actually plays.
it's not my major gripe. i have no major gripe, other than the game crashing like an abomination once you accumulate enough ingame hours. the reason why it's not a good but only ok game is the incredible amount of otherwise small things that add up.

and as far as the validity of said point goes..
nearly every perk/stat/skill related option omits your actual display of said knowledge, instead reducing it to a generic answer, with the [blah] being the actual but otherwise omitted display of said knowledge, effectively making it a just a small step-up from topical conversation.
"[master trader]" vs "[master trader] let me run the caravan, i'm quite good at those things." doesn't really make that much of a difference, especially considering that most games with checks in dialogues actually incorporate the display of said knowledge into the text for flavor and atmosphere, something entirely lacking in this game, and said thing is most evident in per dialogue options that require a completely different relationship between the player character and npc, like the black widow perk. seeing black widow options between normal ones is almost comical, but it might be just me, since i took all the dialogue affecting perks like black widow, child at heart, master trader, and some others i forgot.

the other dialogue options are again very short, even when it doesn't make any sense for them to be so, which i guess is to allow fast skipping over multiple choices without spending lots of time reading through walls of text.

all in all the dialogue feels very topical because of the short options, and really fails to convey atmosphere, rather seeming to be a hasty cover for the underlying stat-checks.

don't get me wrong, i do appreciate the fact that as a black widow you can convince burke to leave megaton alone, but the actual way you do so is pretty stupid.

The fact is, you are over-reacting in the negative, simply because of the title of the game.
i couldn't care less what it's called, it still is not a very good but ok game, and the fact that it says fallout somewhere on the cover doesn't affect that.
if i do compare it to fallout, i do so because it's appropriate, for example both being post-apocalyptic games allows for comparisons as to how differently they present the world, or the fact that both have a crashed ufo encounter makes the comparison of those pretty valid as well... which i guess is a good way to describe why fallout 3 is not a very good game.
so let's compare the crashed ufos. in fallout, the crashed ufo is a standard flying saucer with two dead out of the book greys, a plague marking it as property of area 51, a very good unique weapon, and a photo of elvis.
it's both classy, and absolutely over the top, which, together with the fact that it's a special random encounter and pretty hard to come across, even with the required perks, makes it instantly recognizable as an easter egg, something disconnected from the game world at large.

in contrast, fallout 3 has the crashed ufo as a permanent part of the game world, with you picking up the radio signal between two locations not far from each other, and when zeroing on it (forgot: the radio signal as a radar is nice too. they should have used it more often, skipping the radio stations alltogether), you find a crashed somewhat but not quite saucer-like ufo with a dead green alien in a rad armor, who seems to have crashed through the windshield, the single best non-unique weapon in the game (nearly every shot crits, instantly killing whatever you shot at, there are more blasters in the game, and there's a random encounter that simply drops a unique version of it from the sky, which does an absolutely unneeded 20% more damage with max skill), and that's it.
no fluff or over the top humor playing on various conspiracy theories to make the encounter seem like an easter egg, instead making it appear to be an actual part of the world, especially when considered together with the fact that you can find multiple alien blasters, while the alien stuff is not referenced in any other way in the game (none that i found, at least), or a homage to fallout, but without understanding that the specific designs of the craft or aliens in fallout were absolutely intentional, and quite effective, trying to make this one more unique by changing them, achieving the exact opposite.

one encounter makes you at least smirk, the other is just a flavorless power-up.

the only atmospheric encounter i had so far in the game was picking up a signal after restoring a radio tower from someone calling for help for his sick child, then finding the location and the remains of the occupants, and that was only atmospheric because it happened to be my first (exact same thing happens at every other tower, only the messages are different).

other good examples of why fallout 3 fails in the "very good" category are the birthday party in v101 (or the rest of v101, for that matter), or the "super-hero" conflict.
you have no influence on the events that lead up to the party, in fact, those are left entirely in the gray, but your only option to comment on them is to be genuinely surprised or lie. there's no "[perception|intelligence] blah <truth>" option, even though it would make sense, and it wouldn't be more work since it could lead to the same outcome as the lie. i cannot but wonder if the reason why it's not there is that said dialogue is not included in order to actually present multiple ways to approach a problem, or set a proper mood for the game and allow you to actually roleplay your character, but simply to show off that they now have skill checks in dialogues.

then we have the conflict, where the bartender mentions that he heard from one of the caravan traders that the antagonizer was a girl living on a nearby farm that was overrun by ants. common sense told me to question the traders for the location, and search said farm for clues into the girls past, possibly usable in the dialogue with her, but no, neither do the traders offer any information at all, nor is there a farm with usable clues (there are some farms, not related to the antagonizer though). another perfect opportunity for atmosphere wasted.

then we have the rest of vault 101, which while being ok in terms of dialogue miserably fails in many other regards, especially the inaccessible/100 lockpicking doors, the pure mockery that is your father's safe (requiring 50 lockpicking, 45 is the max you can reach, i think), or in terms of environment responding to your actions, like whateverhernamewas freaking out when you kill her father, but not at all reacting when you choose to give your weapons to him, and are slaughtered in front of her very eyes, and other such things. the only things of any consequence in the vault is whether you kill the overseer or let him live, which is pretty meh too.

the exploring is kinda meh as welll, since there's hardly anything unique in most of the locations. if you are lucky you'll find a bobblehead (which are pretty stupid on their own) or a unique weapon, but most locations don't have that, or anything in terms of flavor text, and even look the same, which just makes them spots for ammo/money/xp farming, and nothing more.

tl;dr version: lots of wasted potential, still a step-up from oblivion, but no fucking way a very good game.
raziel014 said:
Turns out, Fallout 3 isn't Oblivion with guns huh? Neato.
it's oblivion 2 with guns.

spectre

Arcane
I'm actually a bit surprised you guys seem to like this game, even though it's made by Bethesda.

Surprise, no? We can actually praise bethesduh if they do something right. Emphasis on IF.

For example, I really liked the idea behind the quest attached to Vault 112.

Unfortunately when I thought what an ABOVE AVERAGE writer could do with that made me rather sad.

nearly every perk/stat/skill related option omits your actual display of said knowledge, instead reducing it to a generic answer, with the [blah] being the actual but otherwise omitted display of said knowledge, effectively making it a just a small step-up from topical conversation.

Good call. What is more moronic, some of the things make no impact on the dialogue whatsoever. I remember having an option tied to Gun Nut, which contributed absolutely nothing to the dialogue, along the lines: Heard you guys pack some serious firepower. Yes, in fact we do.
And of course the thank-you-captain-obvious [Intelligence] responses. Swear to dawg I felt ashamed anytime i clicked one.

the other dialogue options are again very short, even when it doesn't make any sense for them to be so, which i guess is to allow fast skipping over multiple choices without spending lots of time reading through walls of text.

Well, the sense behind this is that you have to VO all of them, so thay had to be kept short. Also, imagine some of the longer exchanges from fallout (those separated usually by [more] fitting into that tiny xbawks window. No can do. With the font size mod that might have been posible, but not in vanilla.

all in all the dialogue feels very topical because of the short options, and really fails to convey atmosphere, rather seeming to be a hasty cover for the underlying stat-checks.

don't get me wrong, i do appreciate the fact that as a black widow you can convince burke to leave megaton alone, but the actual way you do so is pretty stupid.

That's the roblem you see, just shows how good writer Fallout had. With no VO and no face animation they could convey the character's accent, quirks, pauses, hesitation... hell, all sorts of stuff that made these dialogues fun to read.
The problem with stuff such as black widow is that the response choice is so goddamn generic, anyone could have said that. No emphasis indcated, etc. etc. Again, look at previous fallouts to see how it's done.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Drakron said:
Balor said:
What are you arguing about, anyway?
I am arguing that Fallout 3 is as much as a sequel to Fallout 2 as Fallout 2 is a sequel to Fallout 1.
And where are the arguments?

Take the Fat Man and VD excuse at saying "just because it was for the 50's does not mean it fits on Fallout", that is not logic because NOTHING says portable nuclear weapons could not exist in Fallout.
I see... So, I suppose since NOTHING says that lightsabers (we can call them plasma swords) couldn't exist in Fallout, they would fit right in. Before you start furiously typing "DAVIE CROCKETTTT!!!", let's not forget what it actually was - a 3-man crew operated stationary launcher with a 2-4 km (for rather obvious reasons) range. Nuclear catapult with a 50 meters range it aint.

Then comes with the excuse Fat Man does little damage....
Excuse? We have a nuclear weapon - in a world that was almost completely destroyed by nuclear weapons - that's as powerful as a grenade and won't even knock people off their feet.

... how many people can survive multiple shoots to their FACE? its pulling realism on a game that NEVER had that type of realism in the first place as a argument.
Weak argument. I guess that's all you have left.

Fallout 3 handles it badly, what with being FP and all, but in isometric a headshot doesn't automatically mean a hole between the eyes, does it? It can graze you, hit the bone, cheek, ear, etc. A lot of people were shot in the head but survived. Here is what Google says about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html

"Marc Cohn was shot in the head above his right temple. The bullet was lodged in his head but has since been taken out. ... Cohn has been treated and released from Denver Health Medical Center, his manager, Karen Malluk, said in a written statement."

Two more:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=337_1208706985
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/225479

There is a LOT more where it came from.

Also I tired of people ignoring the good and jump into flaws or perceived flaws ... you want a example?
Did you miss the part where I said it's a good game?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
spectre said:
Well, the sense behind this is that you have to VO all of them, so thay had to be kept short.
i'm talking about choices you make, which aren'T voiced over, as your character doesn't talk.
That's the roblem you see, just shows how good writer Fallout had.
it isn't just fallout. i don't recall a single game that incorporated stat/skill checks in dialogues and failed to do have atmospheric writing (granted, it doesn't mean there were none).
even lionheart had that, and it was made by reflexive, dammit.
Vault Dweller said:
Excuse? We have a nuclear weapon - in a world that was almost completely destroyed by nuclear weapons - that's as powerful as a grenade and won't even knock people off their feet.
nuclear doesn't mean squat. inertial confinement fusion based nuclear payloads are theoretically freely scalable, which is why the us is researching it as weapons tech.

fits in fallout, since they actually do use fusion.

Vault Dweller

Developer
fizzelopeguss said:
Fallout 3 is a more worthy sequel to fallout 1 and 2 than gothic 3 was to the originals, yet that POS is treated with kid gloves by VD.
My review explains what I liked. Disagree? Argue.

Anyway, when did Gothic 3 rape your dog? I seem to recall very favorable impressions:

"But anyway, i'm sure i've said it before, but if you love the look of the game now, wait until you reach montera, i'm amazed at the place, very post war/apoc, a real shithole, and i love that sort of thing."

"i wish i could of got the Gothic 3 CE [after playing the game already] , but nobody sells it over here."

"Man, this game just keeps getting better and better, after spending a little time in sildern (i think) and speaking to my old buddy thorus, i headed up to gotha...jesus that's another gorgeous zone, great music plays as you go up there, teamed up with the venerable gorn and world stood still as we put the undead to rest.

There's just so much stuff to do, i'm quite lost (in a good way) i wen't to the capital, but now i'm thinking do i visit the other towns in myrtana(about 3 i haven't visited)...do i head to nordmarr? or should i go crusading down in the desert.
"

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
That leaves your accusation of overlooking other games' huge flaws. I don't agree with that either. Then again, I'm not sure which flaws of Gothic and TW were so huge.
3 games that get a lot of love at the Codex:

Bloodlines, Gothic 2, The Witcher

Bloodlines - turns into a bad shooter on rails in the second half of the game, making all speech skills useless. Melee combat is poorly designed.

Gothic 2 - primitive character system, no speech skills, no dialogue trees, once you decide what camp to join, it's a linear trip to "let's kill a bunch of dragons!" endgame, logical inconsistencies (a castle full of paladins is under siege by an orc army, yet you can kill the entire army all by yourself), etc

The Witcher - clickfest combat, shitty character system, no speech skills, linear as fuck.

None of these games are bad, of course, and there are very good reasons to like them (atmosphere would probably be #1), but they are very, very far from being perfect.

vrok

Liturgist
I'm sorry Twinfalls and whoever else is claiming this shit is terrific "as an action game" but Fallout 3 is a downright terrible action game/shooter. Your standards when it comes to these games and the actual action/shooting part apparently suck ass and can in no way be justified by "blabla recent games". While there are plenty of examples to refute that kind of statement Crysis is the only one that's needed.

In an action game railroading, choices etc means shit if the actual gameplay, the shooting, the action, whatever, is boring/lame/stiff as shit (hint: animations are a big deal in action games) and of lower standards than pretty much any free mod available for any big FPS, not to mention the base games themselves. Oh, and the AI in this game is even worse than the shooting. Until they fix that, it will always be terrible.

Yes, Fallout 3 can compete for best Bethesda game so far. That doesn't make Fallout 3 a "terrific" shooter/action game and has nothing to do at all with expectations. Frankly it doesn't even make the game good at all.

PS. This entire post pretends VATS doesn't exist, because with VATS it's even worse and I'd have to question your sanity.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Twinfalls said:
Monocause said:
Twinfalls said:
'Redguard' was a terrific, highly enjoyable little action adventure. Great atmosphere, some stat-checking, some dialogue trees. Had it been called 'TES 3', would that have made any fucking difference to its merits?

Of course it would, albeit in a subjective, not objective way. I imagine that a lot of TES fans would be pissed off outright. They'd expect a sequel to Arena and Daggerfall, a continuation of principles of the previous TES games.

This is like smacking one's head against a wall of facepalm. At what point were you still expecting FO3 to be a 'continuation of principles' of the previous instalments?

Twinfalls said:
For the last time. It's a very good game. It is not a good Fallout game. It's not really a Fallout game at all.

Which of the above have you not been expecting?
Completely agree with both sentiments.

Vault Dweller

Developer
SuicideBunny said:
Vault Dweller said:
nuclear doesn't mean squat. inertial confinement fusion based nuclear payloads are theoretically freely scalable, which is why the us is researching it as weapons tech.

fits in fallout, since they actually do use fusion.
Researching now fits into the 50's retro future? If you say so.

there's an edit button, y'know.
Use it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Vault Dweller said:
which would be a good argument if there were no portable laser or plasma weapons in fallout, let alone fusion reactors.

i know you are, but what am i? :roll:

spectre

Arcane
I'm sorry Twinfalls and whoever else is claiming this shit is terrific but Fallout 3 is a downright terrible action game/shooter. Your standards when it comes to these games and the actual action/shooting part apparently suck ass and can in no way be justified by "blabla recent games". While there are plenty of examples to refute that kind of statement Crysis is the only one that's needed.

Hm, if you'd have fallout competing in the FPS league, I'd say it falls even lower than when compared to rpgs. Rather poor AI, you miss obvious shots (and I am talking having 100 small guns) poor variety of enemies, weapon design is rather meh (general design and 'staples' like alternative fire mode for example).

Vault Dweller

Developer
SuicideBunny said:
Vault Dweller said:
which would be a good argument if there were no portable laser or plasma weapons in fallout, let alone fusion reactors.
"Research into fusion for military purposes began in the early 1940s, as part of the Manhattan Project, but was not successful until 1952. Research into controlled fusion for civilian purposes began in the 1950s..."

"In 1958, Charles Townes and Arthur Schawlow theorized and published papers about a visible laser, an invention that would use infrared and/or visible spectrum light..."

Vault Dweller

Developer
vrok said:
I'm sorry Twinfalls and whoever else is claiming this shit is terrific but Fallout 3 is a downright terrible action game/shooter.
Shitty shooter? Sure. That's all the game is?

Your standards when it comes to these games and the actual action/shooting part apparently suck ass...
Thanks for letting us know.

In an action game railroading, choices etc means shit if the actual gameplay, the shooting, the action, whatever, is boring/lame/stiff as shit (hint: animations are a big deal in action games) and of lower standards than pretty much any free mod available for any big FPS, not to mention the base games themselves. Oh, and the AI in this game is even worse than the shooting. Until they fix that, it will always be terrible.
It is not a shooter. I'd love to discuss with you one day how important animations are" for any big FPS", but now we are talking about FO3, so try to stay focused.

vrok

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
It is not a shooter. I'd love to discuss with you one day how important animations are" for any big FPS", but now we are talking about FO3, so try to stay focused.
Twinfalls said:
It's a very, very good action game
The action in this game happens to be shooting as melee is a joke and even that fails compared to melee in a *shooter*. If you have a problem with Fallout 3 being compared with real action games/shooters then your beef is with Twinfalls and not me.

In the mean time I'll just go ahead and fix this line as we agreed on the subject, on behalf of the people reading this thread.
Twinfalls said:
It's a very, very bad action game, and a pretty **** RPG
Done. Feel free to replace **** with either good or shit. I don't care.

Mech

Cipher
For those of you who think Fallout 3 sucks, but The Witcher is the shit:

Do you get someone to tie you down and whip you at night for pleasure? Cause honestly, what is that about?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Vault Dweller said:
"Research into fusion for military purposes began in the early 1940s, as part of the Manhattan Project, but was not successful until 1952. Research into controlled fusion for civilian purposes began in the 1950s..."

"In 1958, Charles Townes and Arthur Schawlow theorized and published papers about a visible laser, an invention that would use infrared and/or visible spectrum light..."
i must have missed the memo about icf not being part of controlled fusion research anymore, or the earliest icf experiments not being conducted as soon as lasers became available.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mech said:
For those of you who think Fallout 3 sucks, but The Witcher is the shit:

Do you get someone to tie you down and whip you at night for pleasure? Cause honestly, what is that about?
I'm afraid to ask what this is about, but I'll do it anyway. What are you trying to communicate to us, Mech my man?

The Witcher is a better game and a better RPG. The sex scenes were hilariously cute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom