Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My first encounter with STEAM...

Deakul

Augur
It's a horrible thing, people being so complacent as to say they have no issues with Steam anymore as if the constant DRM and general fuckery meant nothing.

It's pretty unobtrusive DRM though, even the offline service works fine now.
For me anyways.

And if you're going to bring up "You don't technically own the games and what happens when Steam goes down?"
Shit man, I'll probably be fucking DEAD when Steam goes down, if it ever does.

Cadmus

Arcane
It's pretty unobtrusive DRM though, even the offline service works fine now.
For me anyways.

And if you're going to bring up "You don't technically own the games and what happens when Steam goes down?"
Shit man, I'll probably be fucking DEAD when Steam goes down, if it ever does.
Just you wait.
We'll talk again in a few years when STEAM finally starts cashing in on its monopoly.

Besides, I like to own functional game disks not empty CDs with STEAM code, lolol. But I'm the idiot who can't get with the times I guess.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I remember back in the day that if you purchased a game, you'd sit through a 5-15 minute installation, and then you'd be good to go.

Which led to less than 25% of the customer base to download often crucial updates off the developer's website.

I have dreadful memories of not knowing that for VTMB.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just you wait.
We'll talk again in a few years when STEAM finally starts cashing in on its monopoly.
exactly. now that people have so much invested in steam valve can start raping their buttholes any time they want and everyone will just grab their ankles because they have you all over a barrel

Last edited:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
It was because I had to restart it two times due to crippling quest stuck. There was also the dreadful canalization bug I still get PTSD when I see canalization today.

lefthandblack

Arcane
exactly. now that people have so much invested in steam valve can start raping their buttholes any time they want and everyone will just grab their ankles because they have you all over a barrel

Oh yes. I can't wait. The butthurt is going to be glorious. The thing is, all it would take is steam going public or Gabe Newell's death to usher in the steamacalypse.
I never drank the kool aid, as a result I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and LAUGH and LAUGH and LAUGH!
fuck%20steam.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Been here since 2006 and still waiting for Steam to go under? Nearly a decade so far. Say it takes another decade to go under... at that point are you going to say, "HAHA SEE?!?! ALL IT TOOK WAS TWENTY YEARS NOW YOU CAN'T PLAY THAT GAME YOU BOUGHT FIFTEEN YEARS AGO!" I can't even find shit I bought retail from the mid 90's.

lefthandblack

Arcane
^ Been here since 2006 and still waiting for Steam to go under? Nearly a decade so far. Say it takes another decade to go under... at that point are you going to say, "HAHA SEE?!?! ALL IT TOOK WAS TWENTY YEARS NOW YOU CAN'T PLAY THAT GAME YOU BOUGHT FIFTEEN YEARS AGO!" I can't even find shit I bought retail from the mid 90's.

Oh no, I don't expect them to go under, far from it. What is going to happen is that Gabe or his heirs are going to sell out at some point. It will probably be either EA or Microsoft who buys Steam and then you can really rent your games with a monthly subscription and probably mods too for that matter as they just recently tipped their hand in regard to that. I'll be cobbling together palladium free computers from old parts to install games from my gog library or the cd/dvd's I still have to play them for the 24th time, an infinitely better prospect to me than pondering the thousands of dollars I would have had stolen from me had I drank the kool-aid. Hell, I just recently hooked up my SEGA SATURN for the lulz, it still works and I still have all the games I bought for it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm pretty sure Gabe owns around 70% or so of the company if not more. Why would his heirs sell out when they'd probably make tens of millions a year in profit alone without bothering to manage it?

lefthandblack

Arcane
I'm pretty sure Gabe owns around 70% or so of the company if not more. Why would his heirs sell out when they'd probably make tens of millions a year in profit alone without bothering to manage it?

Enough money to buy a small country, for one. There might be an appeal to have more money than God and not have to worry about anything else but how to spend it.

Of course, I'm speculating, lots of things could happen. I have just made a habit of not putting myself in a position where someone has that much power over me, even if that power is just potential power, as the best cure is not to get sick in the first place.

Since GOG has become successful I am able to ignore Steam for the most part, but still feel compelled to respond in posts like this if for no other reason than to show solidarity with poeple who feel the same way. Monopolies are never a good thing and GOG is the only signifigant thing stopping Steam from being a monopoly.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Haha what a retarded post.Fitting name too.Keep paying for scene releases goy.In revenue Steam is not even leading player,monopoly hahah retard.

Turjan

Arcane
Perhaps not right on the front but... who buys retail in 2015?
Germans or Austrians I would guess. At least, here you can still go into an electronics store and find rows and rows of boxed PC games, and I'm not talking used ones.

Turjan

Arcane
Now go buy The Witcher 3 and have fun downloading 10 GB patches.
If only. I think last time I started the client it was 23 GB or something ridiculous like that. Which should be the whole game, if I think of it.

Telengard

Arcane
Enough money to buy a small country, for one. There might be an appeal to have more money than God and not have to worry about anything else but how to spend it.

Of course, I'm speculating, lots of things could happen. I have just made a habit of not putting myself in a position where someone has that much power over me, even if that power is just potential power, as the best cure is not to get sick in the first place.

Since GOG has become successful I am able to ignore Steam for the most part, but still feel compelled to respond in posts like this if for no other reason than to show solidarity with poeple who feel the same way. Monopolies are never a good thing and GOG is the only signifigant thing stopping Steam from being a monopoly.
You're completely missing the far more likely course of events, copied upteen thousand times in history.
  • Owner retires and divests himself of most of his stock in the process.
  • Idiot son takes over the company, immediately running it into the ground, forcing him to sell stock.
  • Investment buys up the stock and makes a bid for control of the company, gaining it due to low confidence in the current leadership.
  • Investment ownership begins asset mining the company.
  • Everyone who is not an investor gets royally fucked.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
GOG is shit because it supports the production of more Witcher games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ciri will be the protagonist of the next one. Bank on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom