Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My thread for making 3D models

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Looks good but sigh isn't this nothing we haven't seen a hundred times before?

RPK

Scholar

That's not an unfair criticism. This being the first full game I've ever made, I went with what I knew, I guess. Since I was a kid playing the gold box games, I always wanted to make those kinds of games. So, my first go-round is pretty similar to those that came before it.

Vic

Savant
That's not an unfair criticism. This being the first full game I've ever made, I went with what I knew, I guess. Since I was a kid playing the gold box games, I always wanted to make those kinds of games. So, my first go-round is pretty similar to those that came before it.
curiosity is a big driver in human behavior. try adding some twist or gimmick to your game maybe.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
curiosity is a big driver in human behavior. try adding some twist or gimmick to your game maybe.
Nah, just move on to the next game. What matters is how much time you spend, how much experience you gain, how many mistakes you run into and then learn to overcome, etc.

And you won't spend much time if you force yourself to do one thing or another thing.

Instead, do whatever is motivating because then you'll be spending more time then you ever wanted to spend.

Vic

Savant
Nah, just move on to the next game. What matters is how much time you spend, how much experience you gain, how many mistakes you run into and then learn to overcome, etc.
I guess I meant adding some kind of twist or gimmick to his game to make it interesting for people looking into the game. Maybe it's just me but when I checked the game out I didn't really care much for it because it looked like any other CRPG of its type. And we have seen a fair share of "revival CRPGs" over the years. There's nothing that really grabs me and makes me want to discover more. Putting a twist on the old formula might do wonders.... or not. Just trying to give some feedback in my own way.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I guess I meant adding some kind of twist or gimmick to his game to make it interesting for people looking into the game. Maybe it's just me but when I checked the game out I didn't really care much for it because it looked like any other CRPG of its type. And we have seen a fair share of "revival CRPGs" over the years. There's nothing that really grabs me and makes me want to discover more. Putting a twist on the old formula might do wonders.... or not. Just trying to give some feedback in my own way.
The only way to be successful is to keep losing in the beginning until you learn enough to succeed.

Because, as anything you haven't done before, you're a noob. You're a newbie. And one of the worst things to do as a noob is to be impatient.

RPK

Scholar
I'd like to think I've got some things that are unique to the type. Monsters that can swallow you whole, pit traps/climbing and grappling.

None of this stuff is in that video because it's not a trailer - I haven't made one yet. My hope is that that will be able to highlight some of the interesting aspects of my game that aren't necessarily in every isometric RPG.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'd like to think I've got some things that are unique to the type. Monsters that can swallow you whole, pit traps/climbing and grappling.

None of this stuff is in that video because it's not a trailer - I haven't made one yet. My hope is that that will be able to highlight some of the interesting aspects of my game that aren't necessarily in every isometric RPG.
I'm personally just saying that if (not when) this attempt gets frustrating, it's better to make the attempt when... it's not as frustrating... like when you have the motivation of a fresh idea. That being said it does actually help to attempt and fail in this first project because that is still improvement (if you can learn lessons from it).

I don't mean to force you either way. But I philosophize upon the concept of learning understanding and not mere regurgitation of knowledge, so I'm proponing the bigger picture.

RPK

Scholar

I'm personally just saying that if (not when) this attempt gets frustrating, it's better to make the attempt when... it's not as frustrating... like when you have the motivation of a fresh idea. That being said it does actually help to attempt and fail in this first project because that is still improvement (if you can learn lessons from it).

I don't mean to force you either way. But I philosophize upon the concept of learning understanding and not mere regurgitation of knowledge, so I'm proponing the bigger picture.
I'm maybe not quite picking up what you're getting at, but moving on to something new, or even taking a break, when it gets frustrating, is a recipe for never finishing anything. Working on a game has a lot of exhilarating moments when things come together, but it has just as many extremely frustrating moments too, and you have to push through those to complete going.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

I'm maybe not quite picking up what you're getting at, but moving on to something new, or even taking a break, when it gets frustrating, is a recipe for never finishing anything.
No, I mean that as someone new, expect to fail. When when you finished, move on. It's very easy to over-do things. There's "frustrating but you can sleep on it and work on it tomorrow" vs "frustrated and banging your head against the wall and not learning anything because you are not trying something new."

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, waiting for motivation is a recipe for disaster. It never comes.
I have motivation to spare because I'll jump around to different projects as I get tired/bored/stuck with one, then maybe start something new that I just thought of, then dick around playing with X or Y...

Unless you are getting paid, to key to motivation is to stop taking it seriously and have fun with it.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I'm curious if you have ever considered porting some of your models into NWN, if such a thing is even possible.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I'm curious if you have ever considered porting some of your models into NWN, if such a thing is even possible.
I have thought about it. My main thought was: with the computers of today, there's no longer such a strict limit on polycount and textures, so people can add high quality models via the Aurora toolset. I haven't actually seen much of that though.
I can't add any of the former models because they're exclusive (paid for) by RPK for his game, but I have other models from before that could be added, as well as other stuff off the asset store, etc.
As for whether it's possible I don't actually know since I've only dabbled a tiny bit in the toolset, but surely?... :D the main problem is not how but why. Not sure if there's any considerable demand for this kind of thing.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

A normal game in a market full of pastel-colored titles about mental illnesses, ugly negresses, and men kissing each other is like finding a mint condition Action Comics number 1 in the attic.

Vic

Savant
A normal game in a market full of pastel-colored titles about mental illnesses, ugly negresses, and men kissing each other is like finding a mint condition Action Comics number 1 in the attic.
That's on you for playing these kinds of games. But I get what you're saying. For me personally, that's not enough to get me interested though. There are many other games and modules that aren't infested by that.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Made a concept art of Korgan from BG2, the way he could look when you first meet him in Copper Coronet. This is in preparation for a bigger project - a full 3D rendition and animation of the character.

FmbW41d.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom