Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth 2 Soulblighter 1.60 Released!

sheek

Arbiter
http://thetain.net/TheTain.net.html

Loads of new changes. Most obviously up to 1024*768 resolution and can run as a Window. In Single player mode seems to run much better and there are lots of neat interface customizations I haven't had the time to experiment with. There's also some kind of 'dialog editor' and an 'inventory' key - which I haven't been been able to use yet... Is Myth going to become an RPG?

Also new versions of Fear and Loathing.

AZ

Liturgist
What about Myth III? Any mods? I used to like it, but had a game stopping crash at midgame.

sheek

Arbiter
AZ said:
What about Myth III? Any mods? I used to like it, but had a game stopping crash at midgame.

Don't think so. 95% of the hard-kore Myth community disliked the game from the start and there's only one major map maker who made an effort to mod it.

Having played it and the fan-made M2 updates I don't see the point.

Dmitron

Arbiter
I have never played Myth. Never even seen the game running. What's makes it special enough to be updated years later?

almondblight

Arcane
What they said. Best RTS ever, great modding, one of the best campaigns ever (thought the first games was better than the seconds, though), one of the best non-traditional fantasy worlds ever (hell, probably my favorite fantasy setting - beats the hell out of D&D's).

Myth is one of the best games ever made.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Myth 2 was absolutely fucking fantastic. Not only is it the best RTS I've ever played, but some of the most oppressive ambiance and narrative I've experienced. M2 was fucking bleak!

While it's been years since I played, it remains to this day one of the high points of my gaming life.

What M2 mods are there?

sheek

Arbiter
aweigh said:
Myth 2 was absolutely fucking fantastic. Not only is it the best RTS I've ever played, but some of the most oppressive ambiance and narrative I've experienced. M2 was fucking bleak!

While it's been years since I played, it remains to this day one of the high points of my gaming life.

What M2 mods are there?

The ones I've played:

Solo:
The Seventh God - a massive alternate fantasy world TC, very well done
The Fallen Lord Levels - play Myth 1 Solo campaign on M2
Blue & Gray - US Civil War theme, mostly multiplayer but there is a good solo mission
Bushido - full Solo campaign set in medieval Japan
Legend of Gor-Ash - play the Bre'unor in a Solo campaign - just got this, can't finish level 1.
Grave Tidings - play M2 campaign battles from the Dark side
Under Myrkridian Standards - Heron Guard campaign of the fall of Cath Bruig (Age of Reason)

MPlayer:
Mazzarin's Demise VI - most awesome coop multiplayer level I've played (90+ minutes long!)
Ultimate Team Battles - dwarf/ghol riot, blunderbuss-wielding peasants, exploding critters etc

Throne of the Lich King and others by the same author are meant to be more puzzle based, want to try it out. Also Alien Carnage, WW2, Lego etc.

edit:
http://www.mything.org/index.php?a=map-welcome
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/%20Myt ... lblighter/
http://mythaddict.atvcowboy.com/

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I haven't tried Myth II in years, but I remember hating it because the dwarves would keep fire bombing my own troops.

Fez

Erudite
There was a skill to using them. If you knew what you were doing you could set up chain reactions and do all sorts of nasty things. It really is worth playing through.

sheek

Arbiter
I think it's pretty unique in that you need manual dexterity but also experience (ability to learn from mistakes) and some kind of tactical intellect (use of terrain, units the enemy has, at what distance, pre-set groups etc) to be succesful which is how it overcame the problems of a real-time system. Especially in multiplayer where you have to adjust your gameplay each time to different types of players.

In fact it is probably more demanding than a game like X-Com because you have to think fast as well as tactically and have to prioritize your attention on what matters the most at any given moment. (Of course you can also play like a Dumbfuck, in any game)

Coop or large team multiplayer games are another thing again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom