Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Neverwinter Nights 2 review at RPG Watch

elander_

Arbiter
That doesn't mean all party games suck however or that a party-based game let's you do everything. The key point here is AI. When party members start acting more realistic and have some autonomy and an personal agenda influencing their decisions this will work better. This is where your skill as a leader and diplomatic can be put to a good use.

Oh and what is the obsession with stories in rpgs the guys from rpgwatch are always babbling about. First was this obsession with cinematic rpgs, now is all about the story.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Lumpy said:
That's why Party-based RPGs suck. They dilute role-playing by allowing you all options.
Yes, if you choose to play ,for example, as fighter in solo RPG than you will fully expirience all consequences for choosing fighter. It would have been great if not one small problem: in modern RPG player should expirience all aspect of the game in one playthrought(join all guilds, etc). Because of this all areas and quests in the game will be made possible to solve for any charachter, which means that ,for example, mages who will oppose you won't be able to demonstrate their full power(In party based BG2 mages were able to kill charachter with one spell) so that charachters without magic skills could defeat them, etc...

Suicidal

Arcane
Hamster said:
Too difficult for modern RPG developers, i'm afraid...

Agreed.

But a less complicated thing, like being able to ask an NPC with better speach skills to speak on your behalf here and there is possible and it could be a good start to developing a better, more complicated system.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Suicidal said:
Hamster said:
Too difficult for modern RPG developers, i'm afraid...

Agreed.

But a less complicated thing, like being able to ask an NPC with better speach skills to speak on your behalf here and there is possible and it could be a good start to developing a better, more complicated system.
Yeah, but unfortunately developments in RPG dialogue are moving in another direction:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/718/718963/img_3956803.html

Thrym

Novice
Someone made a good point about party games being fun if the idea of the game is command. Telling 6 fuckers what to do is way more entertaining than 1. That's sorta what dwarf fortress is all about, though it's really not an "rpg". Party members have gotten sorta fucking ridiculous though, I'm expected to believe that Poopsy Pants is gunna follow me everywhere I go, even when she has to take a shit? She needs to have some semblance of a brain that says, "I have to poo, I'm gunna go find a nice hotel to poo in, you have fun Mr. main character, maybe we'll meet once I'm done shitting." Maybe Poopsy will never join my party again, but she goddamn better not be tied to me every step of the way, cause I don't wanna sit in that bathroom while she takes a stinky shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom