Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter nights epic wizards

deama

Prophet
So I started playing through neverwinter nights, through the swordflight module, and decided to go for a pure wizard. It's actually kinda annoying, but regardless, I've reached level 21 but am a bit confused, I think. So I get tier 10 spells, but you have to burn an entire feat for it, in addition to there only being a handful of them, so is this it? There's pretty much no way to improve at this point? I've been using delayed fireball and issac's greater magic missles spells as my main damage, I've had them empowered for a while now and the enemies are starting to get pretty spongy, I've tried mixing it up with some other damagy spells like "weird" that insta kills them if they fail a saving throw, or some lava spell, but what will happen in the next chapter? When the enemies get really tanky? What will I do then? Is there a way to increase damage more by taking some special feats or are there some special wizard items?

Poseidon00

Arcane
At the higher levels of DnD you probably want to go for disabling or insta killing spells rather than direct damage if at all possible. I almost always specialize into Necromancy and one other school to maximize effectiveness.

If i'm really desperate and out of spells I will use Improved Power Attack alongside True Strike and whack em with a magic weapon for decent damage. Sometimes I will do this if they are already disabled anyway if I need to be really conservative about spell usage. I almost always have a method of scribing scrolls if possible ingame or backup scrolls as well.

You did take improved power attack on your wizard didn't you?

deama

Prophet
You did take improved power attack on your wizard didn't you?
Ofcourse not!

At the higher levels of DnD you probably want to go for disabling or insta killing spells rather than direct damage if at all possible. I almost always specialize into Necromancy and one other school to maximize effectiveness.
I was thinking about that, but don't the saving throws improve along with their hp pools as the enemies get stronger? Or are there aoe spells to reduce their saving throws?
Cause I specialized in illusion school from beginning.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Ofcourse not!

I was thinking about that, but don't the saving throws improve along with their hp pools as the enemies get stronger? Or are there aoe spells to reduce their saving throws?

If I recall correctly there is a spell that adds a -10 modifier to will saves under the enchantment school and a few other spells that also add negative modifiers. Most enemies in DnD are not built with high saves all around and will have at least one weakness.

waken

Educated
Ofcourse not!

If I recall correctly there is a spell that adds a -10 modifier to will saves under the enchantment school and a few other spells that also add negative modifiers. Most enemies in DnD are not built with high saves all around and will have at least one weakness.

Yep, Mind fog. A Maximized Enervation is also very useful for lowering saves.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
There are still lots of ways for casters to power up, past level 20. With a pure or near-pure wizard, the main thing you want to do in epic levels is boost your Intelligence as much as possible, both with the regular ability increases and by taking Great Intelligence feats as often as possible. Higher INT gives you both more spell slots, allowing you to cast a lot more spells even if spell for spell they are relatively less powerful, and also increases the DC of your spells, making it much harder for mobs to save against them. Choosing the right spell for the situation is also helpful. IGMS is best against single targets, Firebrand is good against hordes (assuming no Fire Resistance/Immunity), Necromantic or Enchantment spells, with DC boosts from INT, Spell Focus feats, etc., can be very powerful against foes who are not immune (but many are), etc.

High INT also means a lot of skill points. You might want to consider saving them up and then taking a dip in a skill-heavy class to take advantage of that. In particular, taking at least one level in a class with Tumble as a class skill and maxing that skill out can significantly increase your AC. Taking Expertise/Improved Expertise can also be a good way to increase a caster's AC (since you can cast spells in Expertise mode, and the AB penalty is meaningless to a dedicated caster).

In Swordflight in particular, you can get a big boost to the power of your Familiar in Ch. 3, and to elemental summons in Ch. 4, making the employment of summoned allies a viable strategy (if going that way, you need to remember to further buff your summons with appropriate spells, as well as to feed them healing potions in combat as needed).

The so-called "epic spells" unfortunately are indeed rather underwhelming. As a general rule, they are not good enough to justify spending a feat on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom