Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Alpha Protocol Interview

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/a ... tocol1.php

Some highlights:

GB: Can you give us a few examples of weapons and other spy-related gear that we'll be able to get our hands on in AP? Will we typically be purchasing these items from some sort of arms dealer or will they automatically become available (as mission rewards or loot) as the story progresses?

Your inventory can also give you options to help overcome areas of the game you find challenging but would like to attempt nonetheless. If you're having a hard time being stealthy, bring along gadgets that will disable cameras or send in false 'all clear' communiqués if an alarm is raised. If you're good at sneaking but far less capable of holding your own when discovered, pack some medical supplies to last longer in a fight, or maybe some incendiary ordnance to lay down a smoke screen against snipers while simultaneously crisping nearby assailants.

GB: How are the game's missions structured? Will we be able to choose which mission we'd like to tackle each time or are they all set up in a linear progression?

Ryan: The game starts off pretty linear. This is where we introduce the player the use of their abilities, equipment, and the dialogue system However, after the first few missions when the story begins to really unfold we start to unlock missions in different hubs.

The player then can choose whatever mission they want to in any location that has been unlocked. Some of the missions are completely optional but if the player finishes the story related missions, then certain other missions become available sometimes in new areas of the world.

GB: Will NPC dialogue change as the game progresses and certain events have occurred? For example, will some of our previous actions - as honorable or unscrupulous as they may be - be referenced during conversations with NPCs?

Ryan: They will absolutely respond to your actions. Some of the characters you communicate with prefer certain actions over others so if you went to the local orphanage and decided to blow it up, you can definitely expect the NPCs to mention it.

GB: Tell us more about Mr. Thorton's love interests in Alpha Protocol. Are the game's romances entirely optional? Will there be any game- or story-related benefits to pursuing or rejecting any such romances?

Chris: They are entirely optional, but as with all things romantic, they will convey gameplay benefits in the form of reputation, reactivity, and in some cases, gameplay bonuses known as "perks". Love is a gift, and Alpha Protocol will prove it.

Help me Obsidian-kenobi. You're our only hope!

MetalCraze

Arcane
What I like about Obsidian is that they totally don't know how to hype their games. No dumb buzzwords and drooling all over some stupid shit.

I'm still having some concerns about the game though. Unlimited ammo certainly kills what I know for me, I don't want a yet another "console shooter" if you know what I mean

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
No dumb buzzwords and drooling all over some stupid shit.
"Badass." "Badass." "When I was a teenager I always wondered how badass it would be to be a super spy." "Michael Throton is a badass." "There are all kinds of badass abilities you can learn in this game, like Bullet Storm or Chain Shot." "Badass." "Badass."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
skyway said:
What I like about Obsidian is that they totally don't know how to hype their games. No dumb buzzwords and drooling all over some stupid shit.

Agreed.

skyway said:
I'm still having some concerns about the game though. Unlimited ammo certainly kills what I know for me, I don't want a yet another "console shooter" if you know what I mean

This really bothered me at first, but since there are consequences to your actions, this then became a non issue for me. Not having a conserve ammo mechanic is not really a game breaker for me, since the rest of the offerings mentioned so far seem...ok.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
skyway said:
Real men only use their fists and their wits anyway. :D

Anyway, to me all the things said about mission structure, CnC and dialogue far outweight the disappointing unlimited ammo... Though Davis did give a good solid argument for it a while back.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still have mixed feelings on this game, but I don't get all the pessimism. I'll be disappointed if it sucks, but it certainly won't make me hate Obsidian or anything. All in all, I'm impressed they're working on different types of RPGs, rather than just rehashing the same story and game style over and over (see Bioware).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xor said:
I still have mixed feelings on this game, but I don't get all the pessimism. I'll be disappointed if it sucks, but it certainly won't make me hate Obsidian or anything. All in all, I'm impressed they're working on different types of RPGs, rather than just rehashing the same story and game style and characters over and over (see Bioware).

fixed. Hi Carth.

fastpunk

Arbiter
This game sounds good, specially when it comes to gadgets and stealth... and gadgets. I can't wait to ninja my way through it. :cool: Here's hoping Obsidian can balance and polish up this game properly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
fastpunk said:
This game sounds good, specially when it comes to gadgets and stealth... and gadgets. I can't wait to ninja my way through it. :cool: Here's hoping Obsidian can balance and polish up this game properly.

That's my hope too. That and the subtle hints of a Deus Ex like game.... mmm.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
This really bothered me at first, but since there are consequences to your actions, this then became a non issue for me. Not having a conserve ammo mechanic is not really a game breaker for me, since the rest of the offerings mentioned so far seem...ok.

I hope so. But I would've wanted a real stealth game. Having an unlimited ammo doesn't help that. What I liked about Ubisoft Canada's made Splinter Cells is that they never let you to even think about going on a killing spree.
I have much more hopes in writing though. When it comes to writing and characters MCA haven't disappointed a single time. So just like with PS:T and KotOR2 (with TSLRP ofc) I will be able to bear through the sucky combat if everything else will be great.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jaesun said:
fastpunk said:

That's my hope too. That and the subtle hints of a Deus Ex like game.... mmm.

Looking at the past Bio games, there's a big chance combat will be too easy.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
That and the subtle hints of a Deus Ex like game.... mmm.

I hear that! I always got a small Deus Ex vibe from this project, even a little Vampire Bloodlines vibe. It's a type of game that hasn't been done nearly enough to get old.

Dark Individual said:
Looking at the past Bio games, there's a big chance combat will be too easy.

Wut?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
skyway said:
I hope so. But I would've wanted a real stealth game. Having an unlimited ammo doesn't help that.

You do realise that you don't have unlimited ammo all the friggin time?

fastpunk

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
skyway said:
I hope so. But I would've wanted a real stealth game. Having an unlimited ammo doesn't help that.

You do realise that you don't have unlimited ammo all the friggin time?

Really? It's unlimited only when Bullet Storm is activated or what? I'm a bit fuzzy about this aspect.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, to be fair, MCA is also guilty of openly reusing plots and characters - PS:T -> Kotor2.
However, it's really hard to blame him for that :).

MetalCraze

Arcane
Oh not this dumb shit again.
Obviously KotOR2 was about an immortal man that lost all his memories and
eventually hunts down his very soul
And all those characters are 1:1 copies from PS:T
But guess what? NO. You're wrong. And Nomad knows no shit when it comes to RPGs, so stop repeating his retardation. The only character you can tie to PS:T is Kreia and only remotely as Chris stated himself that he wanted Kreia to be what he wanted Ravel to be.

notnats

Novice
skyway said:
I hope so. But I would've wanted a real stealth game. Having an unlimited ammo doesn't help that. .

And this is related to unlimited ammo how? You either avoid combat, or (hopefully) sneak kill in stealth. No point bitching about unlimited ammo in that case.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"No dumb buzzwords and drooling all over some stupid shit."

Kiddin' right? What a tool.

This game seems like it'll be fun.

That's all that matters.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
existencebz9.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
chrisglitterxvbq0.gif

*Pic was not made by me. I forget who.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom