Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Deus Ex 3 gameplay trailer

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Azrael the cat said:
ArcturusXIV said:
DX is gonna be awesome.

Any company that doesn't dumb down games in our modern world of 50 WWII clones and Dragon Age SEQUALS is fine by me.

Grabbing through walls? Meh. Rather see it than play it. But it still looks fun!

Stellar implants, btw.

I'm gonna wait and see, though I have to say, after Invisible War, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think Warren Spector deserves his own property. You lose ALL license to make good games once you make one bad one, in the name of "dumbing down." This is why I like Lovecraft. Prose doesn't moron-pander.

Emo haircut does not appeal to me. Depth and satisfaction too. This may be the first game I buy in YEARS (besides Witcher, which I still felt lacked innovative elements).

Combat incline is supposed to be VERY small... If we're lucky, that is.

(a) Warren Spector had an amazing run: U7: Serpent Isle, Ultima Underworld, System Shock 2, Deus Ex. That more than balances out a flop.

(b) Spector did not develop IW.

(c) Spector did take responsibility for IW's failings, and ended up saying he was genuinely sorry for the way it turned out, with the request that people give him credit that he wasn't trying to 'dumb down' things. The idea, from what I gather, was that whilst combat/ammo were dumbed down, the world interaction was supposed to be beefed up to never-seen-before levels. They failed. As in, they had some absurdly over-ambitious idea of a game with complete freeform combined with a story, which could never have worked, poured all their time into it, and IW was the predictable result.

(d) Spector did not develop IW (bears repeating)

(e) Spector has no involvement in the upcoming Deus Ex game.

(a) See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Neurath

(b) But he marketed the Hell out of it.

(c) Who "would" take credit for their own idiocy?

(d) See b. Dyslexics need not apply.

(e) Thank God!!!

genci88

Educated
deusexdifficulty.jpg

I'm not exactly keeping my hopes up. I will be surprised if this third iteration is half as good as Invisible War, let alone the original Deus Ex...

bhlaab

Erudite
Azrael the cat said:
(a) Warren Spector had an amazing run: U7: Serpent Isle, Ultima Underworld, System Shock 2, Deus Ex. That more than balances out a flop.

What about this:

“They say it takes two to tango, and I couldn’t be happier to have Kyle Massey on board to celebrate the launch of Disney Epic Mickey with us,” said Warren Spector, general manager and creative director, Disney Interactive Studios’ Junction Point. “Kyle exemplifies the youth of the world that have grown up with Disney. He’s the perfect addition to this event that will allow adults and kids to experience the joy of Disney Epic Mickey together.”

fyi the kyle massey warren spector is sucking up to:
kftt0.jpg

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I don't think the retard gene applies to DXIII yet, though I'm concerned about the spyware. After all, they didn't mention any famous industry buzzwords, like "streamlining."

Streamlining would have been a wonderful concept if it only applied to allowing the interface to do in one button what it could do in two. Instead, due to *BETHESDA* it has come to mean "let's cut functionality and call it a 'gameplay option!'"

News to fanboys: Appealing to the lowest common denominator does not make you a genius. Water sinks to its own level.

DraQ

Arcane
ArcturusXIV said:
Streamlining would have been a wonderful concept if it only applied to allowing the interface to do in one button what it could do in two. Instead, due to *BETHESDA* it has come to mean "let's cut functionality and call it a 'gameplay option!'"
Could you please either stop being reasonable in this thread or a dumbfuck in the others? It confuses the hell out of me.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ArcturusXIV said:
After all, they didn't mention any famous industry buzzwords, like "streamlining."
IGN: Well, this is what surprised me seeing Human Revolution at GamesCom. You guys are absolutely bringing Deus Ex back, right down to the grid inventory. And then there's the new hacking minigame - this is complex stuff!

JJB: But playable. Our game actually used to be more complex.

Complex games are unplayable. This stuff also makes me really really annoyed:
Will I be able to pick all pieces of junk and different stuff just like in DX1 and use them to distract enemies or do something else with it?

You’ll be able to use different types of boxes to distract NPCs indeed. If you’re referring to things like a pencil or a glass the answer is no. We have a very detailed and rich world to discover so we had to make some tradeoffs in terms of the scope of interactive objects in order to keep a smooth framerate..
I don't mind their cutting out atms, lockpicks, and multitools since they used the time excuse. On the upside, the inventory and augmentation trees look nice.

zeitgeist

Magister
Roguey said:
On the upside, the inventory and augmentation trees look nice.
To me, the inventory appears to be purposely designed to evoke some vague feeling of nostalgia for the times of tetris inventories (most likely in players who haven't been around to actually experience those times), but just on a superficial level, without much substance behind it. Whereas such inventories in games it tries to remind us of weren't built just for show, they made sense due to specific game mechanics related to item management, the variety of items, their possible uses in the gameworld etc.
If you’re referring to things like a pencil or a glass the answer is no. We have a very detailed and rich world to discover so we had to make some tradeoffs in terms of the scope of interactive objects in order to keep a smooth framerate..
And according to the above, most of the item-related concepts from DX are probably out of the picture, so the look of the inventory isn't very relevant anyway. Except on a cosmetic level of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom