Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
While Andromeda was a bomb Inquisition reviewed and sold very well. It will be interesting to see what lessons they take from such different reactions to relatively similar games.

It's too facile to claim DAI and MEA are "relatively similar" to the degree they should have been reviewed the same. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny and those two games were made by very distinct teams.

They have a very different feel and difference in design priorities. MEA put its main emphasis on gameplay not companion characters, while DAI put its main emphasis on genderqueer characters and atheism.

MEA was inspired by ME1, while DAI was inspired by DA2.

One is a better game than the other, by a country mile.

You have closed 3/7 rifts.
You have visited 9/12 star map shrine thingies.
You have completed 83% of this region.
You have 80/120 influence required to unlock the next mission.
You are having 9/100 fun.

Last edited:
It seems more like ME:A was inspired by a bunch of stuff they talked about doing in DA:I, but never found their way into the game. The thing where you send party members off to do stuff on their own from a hub area is something you can see in an old demo for Jade Empire.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
It seems more like ME:A was inspired by a bunch of stuff they talked about doing in DA:I, but never found their way into the game.

Such as what? Making a coherently designed game? I believe that was a promise not kept with DAI.

The thing where you send party members off to do stuff on their own from a hub area is something you can see in an old demo for Jade Empire.

Flight Simulator 2020 finally looks like the cover art of Flight Simulator X from 2006. Devs constantly over promise and under-deliver. It take years and sometimes a decade or more to see some of those promises fulfilled.

In other words, what exactly is your point?

Theldaran

Liturgist
reminder that Inquisition is the best selling Bioware game :lol:

We'd already be talking about Bioware's demise if it came out the same year as Twitcher 3.

That it came out a year before is true luck. Proof that God (or maybe Satan) always favours the fuckers.

Turuko

Learned

We'd already be talking about Bioware's demise if it came out the same year as Twitcher 3.

That it came out a year before is true luck. Proof that God (or maybe Satan) always favours the fuckers.
they nailed the cross-gen window yeah

reminder that Inquisition is the best selling Bioware game
best selling Bioware game doesn't necessarily equal to codex's darling.
well yeah, but the audience is there

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's too facile to claim DAI and MEA are "relatively similar" to the degree they should have been reviewed the same. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny and those two games were made by very distinct teams.

They have a very different feel and difference in design priorities.

You can find a ton of ways to differentiate them story and setting wise, but have you played them as actual video games? They're extremely similar. A selection of big open zones with mostly MMO style quests and a handful of real main story missions. They have very similar core design philosophies, and it will be interesting to see if they shoot for the same core design with this or change it up again.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron

According to what? The weaselly worded Mark Darrah claim on Twitter or the weaselly worded EA press release:

"Dragon Age: Inquisition is now the "most successful launch in BioWare history," publisher Electronic Arts announced on Tuesday as part of the company's latest earnings report."

... but we will not release the actual numbers sold.
thinking.png
thinking.png
thinking.png

Most successful launch

You can find a ton of ways to differentiate them story and setting wise, but have you played them as actual video games?

Both, yes - twice over.

They're extremely similar.

No, they've very distinct. Four wheels and an engine in the front doesn't make all cars "extremely similar". That's what you're claiming.

It's very dumb way to analyze games.

A selection of big open zones with mostly MMO style quests and a handful of real main story missions.

Are you talking about the Witcher 3? That's equally facile and disingenuous, you could also say the Witcher 3 is "extremely similar" to DAI.

Both have a selection of big open zones with mostly MMO style quests and a handful of real main story missions.

Breaking games down to such banalities is meaningless.

They have very similar core design philosophies

Well, no - not even close.

and it will be interesting to see if they shoot for the same core design with this or change it up again.

What the hell are you talking about. You just claim shit and pretend your opinions are facts.

Bizarre.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Audience of lispy queer half-jewish gays, soy boys, furries, trannies, antifa, otherkins, middle aged cucks and lesbian feminists

That's literally Dragon Age's main audience now. Just check youtube/twitter. And they will make game for their audience

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
We should search for new Bioware instead of jerking to old corpse. Plenty of indie/AA candidates

But let's be honest with ourselves: we are suckers for name brand and production quality. If brand has been tarnished and production values are none, then why do we care and waste OUR time? Out of habit? Nostalgy? Drama? I don't know

Turuko

Learned
Audience of lispy queer half-jewish gays, soy boys, furries, trannies, antifa, otherkins, middle aged cucks and lesbian feminists

That's literally Dragon Age's main audience now. Just check youtube/twitter. And they will make game for their audience
i know, make no mistake i was not presenting it as a good thing man :lol:

Padzi

Arbiter

Precisely. Let me tell you a short story. I have an acquaintance, a feminist girl. Several years ago she was finishing her master’s degree. She wrote a master's thesis about sexism in video games. She wrote about Miranda from Mass Effect and Morrigan from Dragon Age (and few other titles of course). I was kinda shocked when she told me that she never even played those games. She wrote an entire thesis basing it on something she heard somewhere and jumped to conclusions how disgusting those game must be.

This is the audience they are trying to gain. People who don't even play video games. No wonder they are failing.

Falksi

Arcane
What's so fucking wank is that there is a place for wokey types in fantasy games. After all, it's fantasy. In fact off the wall, unusual characters can keep things fresh.

But where Biowank are useless though is shoving it in your face like a homo's nob. DA:I's woke types didn't bother me half as much as the shit game itself. What bothered me was the way said wokeness was absolutely smeared at you constantly from every angle. You couldn't breath for some woke related thing happening.

The characters didn't feel like characters, or companions on a mission to save the world. They felt like folk on a SJW crusade, with SJW rights first, preventing world destruction way further down the list.

That's just cunts writing people in games to be cunts like they are. When I watched Top Gun as a kid I fucking thrived on it, totally oblivious to all the bummer-ness it contained, because the story, action, and focus were great. There's no need to make everything so in your face, just play it out naturally.

But Biowank are just shit at what they do now and won't have any clue about that, and it will take an utter miracle for DA:4 to be even half good.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
First saw that concept art ages ago, and I only just now noticed Sera is making a fisting gesture.

Tytus

Arcane
I wouldn't put too much stock in using early artwork as indicator of what the game might look like, though. Bioware's been known to use inconsistent art styles.

d7ek7o4-dbbecbef-bef0-4dff-81e1-ca407d599d28.jpg

If Padzi is correct (and I think so) this was "art" work was later referenced in the game itself. It is a story about how the blond troll Die Antwood reject was fisting some poor lesbian.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
As much as I hate this shit franchise, honestly I hope this is a critical and commercial success so that way Bioware doesn't break up and these people don't infect the few remaining studios I actually like or split off a hundred different ways and create a hundred times the
decline.png
Bioware is dead already.
Bioware is a 95% decomposed corpse animated via talmudic sorcery

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom