Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New PS3 feature: Rootkit inside

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
There were already a few rumours around that stated that Sony’s latest firmware update 3.56 contains a rootkit that gives sony certain remote access. The Hacker Mathieulh just confirmed that. The rootkit grants Sony access to your Playstation 3 when you log into the PSN. Afterwards they scan for homebrew apps and unpleseant content that Sony does not approve. Sony can therefore delete homebrew apps and disable jailbreaks without the owner’s knowledge.

Originally Posted by N.A:
For those who are curious about the new PS3 security, it seems Sony has implemented something in 3.56 I mentioned here a few weeks ago that is the same as Microsoft uses to detect and ban 360′s.

Mathieulh just posted about it on IRC.

Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies.

Whilst it is possible to patch or remove this code from the firmware this will likely mean the end of playing CFW online (as PSN can just check before login that this is active) or at the very least mean it will be even easier for Sony to detect and ban users.

Judging from the fact that people can still connect using the proxy method it seems Sony hasn’t activated any of this yet but the functions are there in the new firmware.

http://leakerz.net/wp/2011/02/02/new-ps ... it-inside/

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would think that the new "pirate" (or "free") firmware would ban upgrades until they were cracked. In order for the new upgrades to run, they have to use the old keys or go in the clear. Disabling those functions after the fact will not be impossible (though server side sniffing for hacked firmware is likely to happen).

Since online gaming sucks diseased ass though, who gives a shit?

KalosKagathos

Learned
Welp, no more PSN for me. I don't have any pirated software or pr0n on my PS3 to feel guilty or embarrassed about, but the thought of Sony having this kind of access to my property bothers me. Coincidentally, PSN was the only thing that kept me from playing around with homebrew. Splendid job there, Sony.

Arem

Scholar
:rage:
I said on irc that I saw small hints of possible remote execution code in 3.56, not the code itself, people should stop miss-interpreting.
I am tired of seeing sentences I write on irc being somewhat modified and then newsed all over way out of proportion...
:rage:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MetalCraze said:
Suddenly as a PC gamer I feel myself a superior ubermensch.

Again.

4828418836_a019ce57d4_b.jpg

KalosKagathos

Learned
Furious Flaming Faggot said:
There are times when you don't feel like a superior ubermensch?
Every time he realizes that ARMA 2 is the only PC game that isn't a console port suffering from poorly implemented K&M controls and restrictive DRM in years. Then he remembers all the quality DLC ARMA 2 has been getting and feels :smug: again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Since I don't pirate games or mod my PS3 I don't really give a shit. I mainly use it to play classic PS games and watch Netflix on it.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
KalosKagathos said:
Welp, no more PSN for me. I don't have any pirated software or pr0n on my PS3 to feel guilty or embarrassed about, but the thought of Sony having this kind of access to my property bothers me.

Google Sony is watching you
Meanwhile at Microsoft:
Kinect_xbox360.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom