Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New to this Fallout thing

Soulforged

Scholar
Hi, I've been trying to survive in the wasteland for sometime now, however I cannot seem to explore any form of quest log progress for my deeds. I mean, I've just entered that room on the third level of Vault 15 and I could not tell you if I've actually realized that there's no water chip or not. Is there a way to find more details about a quest status beyond the name shown on the "Status" Pip Boy option?

Redshirt #42

Augur
Once you get to the end of the third level in Vault 15, you should see a message saying that the room containing the water chip has caved in and gain some XP. According to GameFAQs you also need to make some kind of Perception, Intelligence, or Science roll to realize this and get the XP.

dragonfk

Erudite
Yeah, go to NMA. Before more morons like Redshirt#42 and Trash flame you like they did. :roll:

Secretninja

Cipher
Never said he wouldn't be able to get help here, but it stands to reason that a community devoted to the game in question would be a good place to ask future questions about a game.
And if you think nonsensical flaming is not commonplace around here then :facepalm: indeed.

Soulforged

Scholar
@Redshirt#42: Thanks for the advice but I already did that. I reached the level and I probably got the message the problem is that I cannot see any feedback at the point I'm right now (now in Junktown, after completing Shady Sands) about that previous deed and I cannot tell with certainty if I actually progressed on that quest or not.

@Trash: About returning to the Overseer, I also tried that but I don't get any telling dialog options, just some option telling him I'm still trying to find the chip and another suggesting him the practicallity of taking everyone outside of the Vault.

What I need is something that can show me the actual progress I do in a quest besides the simple binary states that exist in Fallout. I can't see nothing of that form so I get lost easily.

Thanks.

Divinity: Original Sin
I played fallout for the first time in 2002, when I had finally found it. I had already bought a fallout 2 at the time, but never played it because I wanted to have the 1st one.

And in that first playthrough, my game broke, and aways crashed when I reached the military base.

With all this hype around Fallout 3, I came to this place, and thought: time to wipe the dust on my old CDs.

So, june 2008 I finally played through Fallout 1. Had a good ending, but then, I saw that there was a "better" ending, at least a more complete one.

I'm considering playing it again to get this full ending, but I heard there is a time limit, of about 88 days.

I saw in one guide that you have to make shortcuts and go to military base ASAP in order to finish before the time limit.

My question: is it possible to get the so called "best" ending playing the game "normally"? Like, doing the quests in the order you are told, and even some side quests?

Because going to the military base without ever hearding of it, although possible and OK, it feels like cheating.

If it's possible only if you hush, it kinda sucks.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Is there a way to take out random encounters. I can't travel 10 feet without being interrupted in Fallout 2.

I am using the unofficial patch and I am thinking that might have something to do with it.

Double Ogre

Scholar
vazquez595654 said:
I am using the unofficial patch and I am thinking that might have something to do with it.
Indeed, for whatever reason killap increased the encounter rates. Find "data/data/worldmap.txt" file and replace the existing values with the following, vanilla ones:
Code:
; Encounter frequency percentages:
Forced=100%        ; This shouldn't change
Frequent=38%       ; Was 9/3d6
Common=22%         ; Was 8/3d6
Uncommon=12%       ; Was 6/3d6
Rare=4%            ; Was 5/3d6
None=0%            ; This shouldn't change
P.S. The frequency rates were presumably increased because of the map travel speed issue on the modern computers, but that's still a retarded way to handle the problem. Anyhow, the latest sfall fixes the travel speed problem, so the increased rates are no longer needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom