Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New X-Com incoming

MetalCraze

Arcane
You are right. All turn-based strategy audience that existed 10 years ago died out of old age.

Actually, from what I've read on other sites, it seems that the original X-com games are fairly popular and well known even among rather mainstream PC gamers, and a lot of people are dismayed at this pile of shit. We probably have Steam's $5 sales to thank for this.

Of course, this won't get developer's to admit there is a market for anything other then FPS's.

Silellak

Cipher
original.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
KurtH said:
Honestly though, is there even an audience for turn-based strategy games any more outside of masochists who like to play Jagged Alliance 2 mods? You can't really blame them for this decision to change the genre. They couldn't have turned it into a RTT game either because that genre is fail with a gamepad.
How would anyone know if there's an audience for turn based strategy games, when there are no games being released?
There definitely is an audience for dumbed-down console shooters though, so I guess this is a safe decision.

Silellak

Cipher
Morgoth said:
There's still a chance Firaxis is secretly working a a XCOM startegy game.

I hope so, so that the Codex finally shuts up.
Yes, because the backlash against this terrible idea is limited to only the Codex.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
KurtH said:
Honestly though, is there even an audience for turn-based strategy games any more outside of masochists who like to play Jagged Alliance 2 mods? You can't really blame them for this decision to change the genre. They couldn't have turned it into a RTT game either because that genre is fail with a gamepad.
There are at least four major publishers that publish turn-based strategy games that make X-Com look like a POPAMOLE DUMBED DOWN NEXT GEN BULLSHIT.

There's an audience. The problem is that all they get is UFO1 clones that somehow fail to be as good as the original game because the developers change wrong things.

Destroid

Arcane
The new game will cast players as an FBI agent attempting to thwart the invasion.

You better get recruited into X-Com during the course of the game...

Wish wasn't vapour, it had a very cool aesthetic.

I sure am sick of opera labeling British spelling as incorrect.

gromit

Arcane
Dammit, I can see how this game would work, and completely kick ass. SWAT4-style control and view splitting, and detail-drenched levels to complement a slow moody pace is what I was expecting from Irrational. Thankfully no market worries these days re: "scary" shooters, multiple-unit control from first/third-person, and indirect story-telling... in fact those are all in vogue. I'd play it. (Especially if it was while waiting for my sequel from Firaxis? Please?)

In my dream world, I'd have a major extension of the team/load-out screens where you specify equipment orders and dictate research priorities - all to apply no sooner than upon return from the next mission, MAYBE a "hurry" option with an inhibiting price.

That said... no offense or presumption intended here, literal question: who are these 2k Marin people, and what have they done besides a port and a sequel?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
First person turn based combat.

I think that could be novel.
Unfortunately...

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Morgoth said:
There's still a chance Firaxis is secretly working a a XCOM startegy game.

That's just an unfounded rumor, most probably with no basis in reality.

By the way, it is certain that most Codexers posting in this thread will still buy the game, bah! - try to argue that it "captures the spirit of the original well", "is good for what it is". They loved Fallshit 3, they'll love this.

Hory

Erudite
It is becoming apparent to me that the sole goal of the games industry is to taint each and every pleasant memory that may I have.
Haba said:
Who the fuck loved failout?
Vault Seller.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What's not to like? It had vaults, and super mutants, and SPECIAL, and even the pip-boy. It's hard to imagine a sequel more faithful to the spirit of the original.

Twinkle

Liturgist
I wonder why the industry is so persistent in raping old franchises. It's hard to imagine average consoletard next-gen customer giving a shit about X-COM anyway.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
KurtH said:

There is on handhelds.... as long as it has anime graphics.

:(

Castanova

Prophet
If the game lets you stack crates to solve puzzles and lets you drive a cool vehicle while shooting stuff with its turret then I'm totally sold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom