Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Next magic tournament, time and format

Since sealed appears to have majority backing, imma send a PM and try to edit in a poll between sealed deck/everything else.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Seems you can't add in polls after thread creation. At least it's not among the options I get. Sorry bro.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't care as long as we use Arabian Nights. I need my army of allah and camels :flamesaw:

Regarding the format... I too think that some kind of block constructed w/rarity restrictions would be coolest.
Why not RtR block constructed without any restrictions? This way we can play with all the sweet, sweet rares, and since the format is so fresh, netdecking won't be an issue.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
still think sealed would be pretty neat, if everyone committed.

Regarding the format... I too think that some kind of block constructed w/rarity restrictions would be coolest.
Why not RtR block constructed without any restrictions? This way we can play with all the sweet, sweet rares, and since the format is so fresh, netdecking won't be an issue.
That's not a bad idea. This would put the tournament somewhere at the beginning of October.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't really care about what cards we're playing with too much, but the matches are taking way too long, usually because of a series of waits on single people. Same shit happened in BB tourney. I propose the following:

After winning your current match (or once the decks are in at the start) each player has 3 days to make a post in the tourney thread saying who they're ready to fight and when they're available. If they're not available any time within the next week, they forfeit. If their opponent doesn't reply within 3 days of being eligible for the match (i.e. within the same timeframe the first guy had to post in), they win on walkover. In the event that the opponent replies but a time can't be agreed upon within a week of the first post made stating a time to play, whoever is available for more hours wins on walkover. All this shit gets posted in the thread with @tagging so people have no fucking excuses about miscommunication or he said/she said shit.

This way the longest anyone spends time wasting not even trying to set up a match is 3 days, you only have to check the thread every 3 days tops (which is fucking trivial, and really you only need to post immediately after winning your last match and then check for replies for 3 days) and the longest any round should take is 10 days, instead of a fucking month.

All the RTR is up on cockatrice, so we could start playing soon actually, as there are just 2 matches left in the old tourny... We can use a round robin format and with DR's scheme we can get it moving faster.

I know that I am up, and Suicide King too, Grunker and Damned Registrations seems to be up for it, as is felipepepe and procrastinator according to this link... That makes 6. I think I have reined in Jaedar and Darth Roxor too, that makes 8, and perhaps Ulminati could play if there were a card pool of just 250 cards so as to not confuse his poor danish brain.

Anyways write yourself down here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmCA_LrLS2omdGpRNTF6ZktzUTFKYTAxVWF6a0dqVkE#gid=0

Edit: With the round robin, everyone plays everyone and there is no "winner of match X" fancyness that can hold up the tournament.

RTR looks to be a lulzy format tho... The block has only 250 cards, down from the usual 350. So that brings the power level down automatically. And there are only guild gates + shocklands as manafixers, and removal is somewhat rare.

From what I can see, the stronkest guild is Selesnya followed by Rakdos, Golgari, Azorius and lastly Izzet, with Selesnya tokens being the 'deck to beat'. I think your deck will have to have answers to collective blessings and growing ranks to get anywhere. Not that this stops me from considering an izzet/azorius deck.

Regarding the format: Since it's round robin, it would look something like this: http://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator?ref=IJNQQUDCSR

Behold, and notice that nowhere does it say "winner of X". So if player 10 there is a massive fag and can't play, that doesn't stop player 1, his opponent, from asking to play with his next-round opponent before the first round is finished.

Edit: No rarity restrictions no

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
RTR looks to be a lulzy format tho... The block has only 250 cards, down from the usual 350. So that brings the power level down automatically. And there are only guild gates + shocklands as manafixers, and removal is somewhat rare

You don't play magic much, huh?

Huh, brainfart.

Edit: Not brainfart, just oldschool. Back in my days, 350 was standard for first expansion. But modernfags gonna modern

Damned Registrations

Seems like a pretty slow block too, only 38 creatures under 3 CC, and most of those are 1 power or walls or some shit. Populate definitely seems like it's going to be the mechanic of the day.

I wanted to do a UB deck but apparently that guild got offed or something, totally not viable. Probably going to do black something. Lol Rakdos. Tempting to make RB just for these two cards: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253574 http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=253532 The first is especially lulzy. Like having a 1 shot unblockable Nico Bolas. Might splash red for that, but the mana fixing sure is shit.

Damned Registrations

I suppose it doesn't matter too much when we start. There's no disadvantage to letting people play right now, and if your deck isn't ready, just say you can't play yet and let other people get their games on since it's round robin. What would be more relevant is a time when the tourney ends that everyone has to play all their games.

I've thrown together a prototype deck with a 24 card sideboard just to test out the set, anyone else have a deck and want to play for fun?

Edit: I guess when we start is relevant if we're giving out walkovers, which we should so people can't just dodge matches against the best decks.

Any ideia when we will start playing? I wanna know how long I have to make the decks...
We don't know whos in even. Earliest will prolly be like monday/tuesday, but testing your decks before that doesn't sound too dum.

Regarding SB, 15 decks as is standard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom