Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Thinking of getting one, but it has a tiny 32Gb storage. Do people normally buy game cartridges for this?

Doktor Best

Arcane
If you buy physical copies you get cardridges, but you can also buy extra sd cards if you prefer to buy games on the estore.

They should have implemented more storage, but i guess they wanted to save production costs. Its Nintendo after all...

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

If you buy physical copies you get cardridges, but you can also buy extra sd cards if you prefer to buy games on the estore.

They should have implemented more storage, but i guess they wanted to save production costs. Its Nintendo after all...
What if you buy a physical copy, and then the game gets massive DLC content? Do you need to download the DLC anyway? Does that mean you still need an SD card to expand the storage, even if you only buy physical copies?

Buying a decent-sized SD card is just an overall good idea, especially now with the prospect of homebrew. Just do it.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Buying a decent-sized SD card is just an overall good idea, especially now with the prospect of homebrew. Just do it.
What do you mean by "prospect of homebrew", and what is a decent-sized SD card? Is it really a bad idea to sticking with physical copies? There's something nostalgic about video game cartridges...

A universal, hardware-level exploit (which is unpatchable) was found for the Switch, which means it's only a matter of time before emulators and homebrew software starts pouring in. I have several games on cartridges for the Switch, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're worried about resale value. They don't even come with a manual or even a loose leaflet, it's just a plastic case and a little cart.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I have several games on cartridges for the Switch, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're worried about resale value. They don't even come with a manual or even a loose leaflet, it's just a plastic case and a little cart.
You are saying you don't recommend cheaper games? Because Nintendo's eshop has never been competitive with physical copies sold on amazon. Never. On the 3DS if a game had a physical copy you were always better off ordering on amazon than buying online. The only games I bought online were games that didn't have physical copies available.

I don't have a switch yet (waiting to see what happens with the switch exclusive SMT first) but quickly looking at current pricings it doesn't seem like Nintendo has changed. Mario Odyssey is 44 euros on amazon, versus 60 euros on the nintendo eshop. Yep, getting something physical delivered to your door is somehow cheaper than transferring bits on the intertubes.

Cheaper prices + ability to resell games + not tied to dumb online nintendo systems. Why would someone buy online?

I live in a country that makes me pay 60% import taxes for physical goods, including shipping - and that's best-case scenario.

I'm well aware of Nintendo's fleecing strategy (including their digital store) and I'm not a fan of it, but there's no incentive for me to buy physical at all.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

So, I got my Switch, and it's wonderful. Can't remember the last time I've been so happy to own a console... plus, with all the good games coming onto it, I might actually skip the PS4 and just play on the Switch until I got a good gaming PC. :thumbsup:

Is there any way to transfer saves from the Wii U to the Switch? I would actually buy Zelda again, if I could continue from my old save.

The Decline

Arcane
I have several games on cartridges for the Switch, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're worried about resale value. They don't even come with a manual or even a loose leaflet, it's just a plastic case and a little cart.
You are saying you don't recommend cheaper games? Because Nintendo's eshop has never been competitive with physical copies sold on amazon. Never. On the 3DS if a game had a physical copy you were always better off ordering on amazon than buying online. The only games I bought online were games that didn't have physical copies available.

I don't have a switch yet (waiting to see what happens with the switch exclusive SMT first) but quickly looking at current pricings it doesn't seem like Nintendo has changed. Mario Odyssey is 44 euros on amazon, versus 60 euros on the nintendo eshop. Yep, getting something physical delivered to your door is somehow cheaper than transferring bits on the intertubes.

Cheaper prices + ability to resell games + not tied to dumb online nintendo systems. Why would someone buy online?

Prices on the 3DS and Wii U freeshop are pretty good.

So, I got my Switch, and it's wonderful. Can't remember the last time I've been so happy to own a console... plus, with all the good games coming onto it, I might actually skip the PS4 and just play on the Switch until I got a good gaming PC. :thumbsup:

Is there any way to transfer saves from the Wii U to the Switch? I would actually buy Zelda again, if I could continue from my old save.
It's a great piece of engineering, but I can't say I've been playing a lot of it. When I'm in the bathroom, mostly.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

It's a great piece of engineering, but I can't say I've been playing a lot of it. When I'm in the bathroom, mostly.
It's a must-have for any airplane, train, or >2 hours bus ride.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Enjoying the Switch so much, I'm almost tempted to skip buying a PS$ and just stick to it. Especially since some of the PP4 exclusives I wanted to play (Crash Bandicoot and Dank Souls remastered) are now coming to the Switch.

Is there anything else on PS4 worth buying the console for? There's Bloodworm and Red Dead Redemption. What else? Waiting to hear the Codex Cuck Consensus.

Doktor Best

Arcane
God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4. Yes, its popamole. Yes, its fun (and looks damn impressive especially with a good HDR tv).

Ah and theres Persona 5 but you can also get it on PS3.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well, I have a 3DS... mostly I prefer to buy the cartridge for the future resale (Nintendo games net nifty sums if you manage to have someone buy them). The eShop has measly sales, and usually you can't predict when one will happen. But then again, this is console-cloud-cuckoo-land we're talking about, not PC heaven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom