Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview No Mutants Allowed: Feargus Urquhart

Taoreich

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Here are his points (exact words):

1)accept that Fallout 3 might never be made

2)help the developers make the Fallout games they are working on successful.

3)If the Fallout games that are being made are successful then that can only increase the chance of Fallout 3 actually being made.
That was pretty cute. By that token, I could say that your "exact words", in reponse to jiujitsu, wrote, "No bitch, Bethesda is making Fallout 3 that you want." I just happened to omit words in a single sentence as opposed to sentances in a paragraph, but it's the same idea.
I think the item, " If you guys just tell them how dumb Fallout Morrowind will be than it might turn out be less of a Fallout game because people tend to ignore those that call them stupid every third word" is pretty important to Fergie's thought here (just as your words were important to yours) because it gives context. I think the theory of keeping low expectations is debatable (though St. P seems to espouse this for now), the key element is; be honest, be constructive, be consistent, be passionate, and you have a better shot at what you want than if you prefer to be an asshole out of spite and exasperation.
Does the FO community have the right to be spiteful? Perhaps. But if no one hears your legitimate points because they can't be bothered to get past the delivery, you only have yourselves to blame if those points aren't condsidered/adhered to.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Really? What did I omit? Here is the unedited paragraph:

Feargus said:
What I mean by that is that you guys might get more of what you want by accepting that Fallout 3 might never be made and to help the developers and publishers make the Fallout games they are working on successful. With a part of that success being that they follow the fell of the Fallout world. If you guys just tell them how dumb Fallout Morrowind will be than it might turn out be less of a Fallout game because people tend to ignore those that call them stupid every third word. If the Fallout games that are being made are successful then that can only increase the chance of Fallout 3 actually being made.
As you can see, I changed or omitted nothing, but simply reorganized it for better impact.

plin

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
plin said:
I'm amazed he can read the future and/or read minds.
Or he knows something we don't. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew what design for a Fallout game Bethesda pitched to Interplay. Since Herve has retained the rights for FOOL, Bethesda's plans for the license could have been a part of the deal.

Why would he know anything we don't? He has nothing to do with any of it. Beth most likely didn't pitch shit to interplay but a big fat check. Even if interplay knows... feargus has nothing to do with them...

Also, it might have been feargus, where he said he talked to one of the devs (I think Todd, and I think the talk was prior to them getting the liscence) and he said he's a bright guy. Inside infooooo . I almost think you hope he's right, that deep down inside you want the franchise to be raped again. Like all knowing feargus said, just chill out, if you guys are going to be rabid little shits, I'm sure beth's grand master plan for the series won't be changed because of a select few.

There's a difference between making your opinion known, and being a pain in the ass (case in point: Rosh). That's all most of us are saying. Shit, alot of us could preach on about how bethesda IS GOING TO MAKE THE BESTEST FALLOUT EVER (but we don't), which is the same as alot of fans saying "it's over, no TB, no ISO, fuck bethesda, they will ruin everything, they killed my mother@!! AHHFHGGG".

Seven

Erudite
Oh, and I would have taken out the talking Death Claws - that was bad idea that I either came up with or championed (my bad).

I think that this is my favorite line from the interview. I don't know why but I just find it incredably funny, it's like: "Doctor, you've just found a cure for cancer. Ooops i just deleted the files, my bad."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah; because we all know talking deathclaws in a game is the exact SAME as a doctor's assistant who possibly does that with a cure cancer.

What a dumbass. :roll:

Vault Dweller

Developer
plin said:
Why would he know anything we don't?
Because you are not being told anything?

Inside infooooo
I didn't say that. I was simply surprised that he said that instead of saying that Todd knows what he's doing and that if we help instead of bitching it would be the best Fallout 3 evar. That was odd. Maybe Feargus is mistaken, maybe not. I pointed that out.

plin

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
plin said:
Why would he know anything we don't?
Because you are not being told anything?

Inside infooooo
I didn't say that. I was simply surprised that he said that instead of saying that Todd knows what he's doing and that if we help instead of bitching it would be the best Fallout 3 evar. That was odd. Maybe Feargus is mistaken, maybe not. I pointed that out.

Yes, we are not being told anything, but plenty of people have made up their minds that beth is going ruin the series off of nothing. Funny eh. I think Feargus is just going on a whim like alot of people and assuming it will be an action game.

edit: But yeah, I know what you're saying.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You have to admit that so far there is been a number of indirect proofs that Bethesda has no intentions of making FO3 in the traditions of the first two games. From the first "obviously we aren't going to make an isometric game like BG" quote to the latest more specific revelations like light-sensitivity, survival horror, and many attempts to convince people that TB and isometric aren't necessary for a Fallot game; it just doesn't look good for many fans. Yet despite the info, there's been no attempts to tell the fans that their concerns are being taken seriously, and, for example, that the future Fallout game will definitely be isometric and TB. So, is it really surprising that many fans have already made their minds?

Section8

Cipher
FO:T2 would have been a very good game

Since it's purely hypothetical, I wouldn't claim it to be very good, because we still had most of the constraints of the original and a limited timeframe. The important thing was that we sat down and nutted out the flaws and strengths of FOT, along with the pages upon pages of fan criticisms. It would have been a far better game than the original FOT, but would it have measured up to Fallout or Jagged Alliance 2? Very doubtful.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Lovely, I purposely put in an over-the-top analogy to clear a way some of the tension, and this is what I get."

That's why I calle dya dumbass. Anyone who wants the tension here to die down sucks. tension = D R A M A = fun for all or at least Volourn!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Granted not many games measure up to those two titles, Section8. They're hard to come by. Even the sequel to Fallout fails to live up to the premise of the original and much can be said about JA2's expansions that aren't very nice.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
" Even the sequel to Fallout fails to live up to the premise of the original"

You are right. it successfully surpassed it. next.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I really can't imagine why anyone would think Fallout 2 is a better game than Fallout 1. About the only thing it can claim is that it's longer.

Neverwhere

Novice
If anything, F.U. proves his own theory wrong. After all, he diligently responds to his bitchy fanbase, as evidenced by this developer's profile.

Of course, things may be different with Bethesda - assuming that they are not used to a hardcore RPG fan crowd.

geminito

Liturgist
Feargus knows nothing about Fallout 3, and he's pissed because he thinks he's the god of Fallout. Bethesda isn't letting him in on their discussions, so he's being a shit-disturber. His "subtle" assertion that Bethesda isn't making a "true" Fallout 3 is childish. I become less and less enthusiastic about a new Fallout game with everything I read about it.

Yes, Bethesda's Falllout 3 will be great. No, it won't be the fans' Fallout 3 because that game is impossible to make. Nothing will ever be good enough for the hard-core fans. I hope Bethesda knows this so that they can go ahead and make the best Fallout game they can imagine.

Maybe Feargus will release a new game franchise that we can get excited about? When he does that, then I'll take him seriously again. Nothing Obsidian Entertainment is doing is innovative or interesting to hard-core RPG fans.

Vault Dweller

Developer
geminito said:
Yes, Bethesda's Falllout 3 will be great. No, it won't be the fans' Fallout 3 because that game is impossible to make. Nothing will ever be good enough for the hard-core fans.
Let's disregard the hardcore fans and their expectations for a moment. What makes you think that Bethesda's Fallout will be great?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Bethesda's Falllout 3 will be great."

You are even more moronic than the idiots who like NWN. Go away.

"Nothing Obsidian Entertainment is doing is innovative or interesting to hard-core RPG fans."

Innovation is overrated. Just ask those who have played Fable. Hahaha.

And, wrong. Both KOTOR2 and NWN2 are interetsing, must have buys. In fact, most people on the 'Codex are probably gonna buy them as soon as they are released and Spazmo will lead the charge!

geminito

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Let's disregard the hardcore fans and their expectations for a moment. What makes you think that Bethesda's Fallout will be great?

Ok, forget I said that... Wishful thinking I guess. :?

I have accepted that any future Fallout games will not be the same isometric hex-based games that Fallout 1 and 2 were. I still have fun playing those games, it doesn't matter how old they are. (I hope Longhorn can still run them...).

I'm looking for something new for a Fallout RPG, and I think Bethesda is capable of doing it. I'm not sure that it will be "great", but Bethesda isn't a bad name in my vocabulary.

geminito

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"Bethesda's Falllout 3 will be great."

You are even more moronic than the idiots who like NWN. Go away.

"Nothing Obsidian Entertainment is doing is innovative or interesting to hard-core RPG fans."

Innovation is overrated. Just ask those who have played Fable. Hahaha.

And, wrong. Both KOTOR2 and NWN2 are interetsing, must have buys. In fact, most people on the 'Codex are probably gonna buy them as soon as they are released and Spazmo will lead the charge!

When you reach high school, you might realize how mindless KOTOR and NWN really are. Have you tried Fallout?? Please do!

I look at Black & White as an example of innovation gone BAD... But then again, that's the same company that made Fable. I think.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Both KOTOR2 and NWN2 are interetsing, must have buys.
I totally agree with you. Both are excellent games that established new standards in role-playing. I also want to mention BG3 here, although it's not an Obsidian game, it's also a must have game with awesome gameplay. You really can see the fear in the orc's eyes as you blast him with a fireball.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"When you reach high school, you might realize how mindless KOTOR and NWN really are. Have you tried Fallout?? Please do!"

Is that your best cumback? Better wipe it off your chin.

"the fear in the orc's eyes"

LOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom