Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Non-lethal combat

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I see us talking here about bows, crossbows, weapons, weapon crafting, etc. when you intend to give importance to non-lethal combat. Non-lethal combat sure is great, and should be mandatory for all non-actiony RPGs, but I find hard to see the way you're going to implement it.

Your skill list only has daggers that would work, maybe throwing. There is absence of pugilism, or maybe you fold it under daggers, as they where often learned together. All the other skills are pretty much aim to kill weapons, and one good hit ends pretty much a combat (well obviously not in current rpgs, but hits mean much less). Unless you put accent on disarming," combat norms" and disabilitating, it's going to be hard to justify. And when talking about bows or crossbows, only with a good skill one can target efficiently parts of an ennemy's body to make it useless.

An easy way to make this is to state that a successful combat ends by having an enemy disarmed or unable to fight back. That's similar to the way Gothic did it, but it was still weird to slash someone with a sword a couple of times and see him come back up like you only triped him. Non-lethal combat was pretty innovative (!) at the time and still is, but it's really only on the surface.

I guess the other way you have is to make combat dangerous. Dangerous combat means less actions taken leading to lethal combat. Dangerous as in the world's views on the act rather than only in a death consequence. If it's just there to annoy the player and make him reload the game, then it's no fun. But if he feels like starting a lethal fight is a non-banal move (unlike in today's games where it's the norm), something that could have great social and maybe political consequences, it becomes a different matter. Verbal threats, small honor conflicts or similar things can all be "solved" in brawls using unarmed combat or daggers.

Well, it all boils down to what are the implications of combat in the game? Is it a way to solve problems and advance in the game like most current games or is it only a possibility, something that should be feared? Does it have consequences other than death? Jail, public execution (that's a good idea instead of a death screen!), forced work, outlaw status, etc... Some of those are not that fun for the player on first sight, but well implemented they can become very interesting. How is a fight viewed by the population of this world? Are there some types of legitimate combat (war) and others which are punished?

All in all, it's just another realism vs. gameplay debate. Or maybe they can work together?

Human Shield

Augur
Most human opponents would surrender over dieing, except when you are playing an action game.

I think this was a side idea but don't know if it was put in.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's surely something to consider. The ability to surrender to an enemy, and of the enemy to accept it or not depending on his personnality/mood, you being able to negociate for your life (persuasion?), and suffering consequences might be great. They might just go away with all your things, or maybe take something valuable from you and ask you to do some deed to get it back (or steal it back, or kill'em all in their sleep).

Also, the ability to give mercy or not for someone who is begging for his life is a great way to develop a character. It makes life valuable and gives importance to the choice of killing or not. You could be mercyful and let him go, rob him and let him go, humiliate him, ask something from him, tell him you let him go and shoot him in the back, or just kill him. Yeah, that's a great source or character developpment right here.

Plus, the losing side fleeing is a much more logical end to a combat than them fighting to death. It's really wierd that in most games ennemies fight until they die and will never care for their own life. They are just obstacles between the prize, just a game element. Having a more human approach to combat is going to make a game world much more alive and believable.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ismaul said:
Non-lethal combat sure is great, and should be mandatory for all non-actiony RPGs, but I find hard to see the way you're going to implement it.
The Gothic way. We shall assume that combatants are fighting until they are able to fight, not until they are still alive. If you want to kill, you do that after your opponent is defeated.

The reasons for that are:

1) Role-playing. You can be a master of combat without being a butcher. Or you can be a butcher, and in this case, that's your choice, not something that was forced on you by the game mechanics. The game will react to your choice.

2) A way to survive for non-combat characters. Some restrictions apply though, and some enemies will want you dead, just like you may fight to kill too.

3) To prevent unnecessary reloading. If you are dead, you reload. If you are defeated, and the game throws something your way for that*, you may keep playing.

* example. You are stopped by bandits, robbed, and almost killed. When you arrive to a nearby town you complain to town guards, who give you some soldiers and ask to show the location. That opens up the bandit quest which is available only if you were defeated.
Something like that.

That's similar to the way Gothic did it, but it was still weird to slash someone with a sword a couple of times and see him come back up like you only triped him.
No more than slashing someone with a sword a couple of times and seeing that he's still fighting you like nothing happened.

There are different conditions (low HPs, disarmed, etc) that may cause an opponent to give up, but that's different.

Well, it all boils down to what are the implications of combat in the game? Is it a way to solve problems and advance in the game like most current games or is it only a possibility, something that should be feared?
It's up to you, really. If your character is a loremaster, for example, he should fear combat and try to avoid it as much as possible. If your character is a mercenary and he advances the plot by his sword, then it's a way to solve problems.

Does it have consequences other than death?
Yes

How is a fight viewed by the population of this world?
A form of entertainment :lol: Considering that assassin is a respectful profession, the population doesn't have a problem with figthing. There are consequences though.

Are there some types of legitimate combat (war) and others which are punished?
Nope

All in all, it's just another realism vs. gameplay debate. Or maybe they can work together?
Never cared about realism in games, especially fantasy games.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ismaul said:
It's surely something to consider. The ability to surrender to an enemy, and of the enemy to accept it or not depending on his personnality/mood, you being able to negociate for your life (persuasion?), and suffering consequences might be great.
It's in. Depends on many factors though.

Also, the ability to give mercy or not for someone who is begging for his life is a great way to develop a character. It makes life valuable and gives importance to the choice of killing or not.
Yep. There are dialogue options there.

Having a more human approach to combat is going to make a game world much more alive and believable.
Hopefully.

I wouldn't mind seeing a more believable treatment of combat and killing folks in general. Of course like VD is saying, life was really pretty damn cheap 2000 years ago.

I kinda liked the quest in Arcanum where the girl wanted you to get a ring from her dad as some ritual they had developed and you could end up killing him and taking it, at which point she'd freak out. It started off as the standard canned RPG quest (retrieve object A from person B to give to person C) and you could take the standard solution (kill person B and loot his corpse while it's still warm), which in any setting outside of a game would be a rather absurd way to handle such minor problems but is such a given there you don't even think about it much.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Yup,
it really sounds great, as you seem to already have in pretty much every thing I said.

I wasn't expecting that. Especially for the surrendering options.

I really hope it works well. If it does, it's gonna be the first rpg I know of to implement combat that way.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, sounds good indeed.
However, about 'realism vs gameplay'...
How about 'sensible gameplay vs unhindged fun gameplay'?
You sure that everyone will choose the latter?

Rabby

Liturgist
Hmm. . . is there going to be an Ironman mode? I find myself to have too little willpower not to simply reload the game when something doesn't go my way. :oops: Thus, sometimes I miss out on the options offered in games where I have to be beaten to a pulp first. (The surrendering to Deidranna and being imprisoned in the army base in Jagged Alliance 2, for example)

Rabby

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Hmz, does it mean that every time you fight and someone is defeated, he is not dead? If so, its not very good solution. If he is like 2hp and I hit him with a warhammer (thatsb like -32 hp) he shouldnt be simply defeated but splattered..errm dead. You could introduce death level - like 0 hp - you are defeated, <-10 you are dead. That would make it more logical and, if you are playing total mazafaka with weaps maxxed, you might not want to deal with every enemy "defeated".

Vault Dweller

Developer
Rabby said:
Hmm. . . is there going to be an Ironman mode?
It wasn't planned, but it's not a big deal to add it.

I find myself to have too little willpower not to simply reload the game when something doesn't go my way. :oops:
The choice is always yours. My goal is to give you an option and a reason to keep playing after something didn't go your way.

Kamaz said:
Hmz, does it mean that every time you fight and someone is defeated, he is not dead? If so, its not very good solution.
Maybe, but it's a better solution than killing by default. Like I said, you can always finish people off after the fight. It wasn't a problem in Gothic, was it?

Balor

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
You sure I have the latter?
No, it's just a question :).
After all, 'realism vs fun' is kinda unfair way of putting this. It's just two different 'funs'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom