Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nostalgia- Greatest Gaming Moments. *Spoilery Schtuff*

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
1) The Master; Fallout.
'Duh.
2) Ending Cinemat; Thief 1
The perfection of this surreal Dickensian/Robin Hood universe within a few seconds.
Perfect.
3) Hiigara Burning; Homeworld.
I can look you in the face and compare this game to 2001: A Space Oddesy.
Some people will call it a space opera, but why do we know so little of the characters yet care so much for them? I know little of Hiigaran traditions, yet I care for them more than anything in Star Wars or StarCraft.
4) Kerghan and Arronax; Arcanum.
One of the larger twists in the gaming industry. Both are interesting characters- Arronax's search for repentance, and most interestingly Kerghan- a character who plans to destroy the world (the cliche) to send people to Nirvana. This bizzare mix of the old and the new is seen through out Arcanum, but is most obvious here.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
SPOILER ALERT: albeit the games I talk about are quite old.

Doom 1: I was playing the game in the middle of the night with headphones on. As I was navigating a very narrow maze-like level while being followed by the roaring pig-like monsters a hand fell on my shoulder. Needless to say I nearly pissed my pants....gotta love immersion like that :lol:

Starflight: After playing this game for months on end, gathering info, artifacts and wealth I was finally ready to finish it and save the universe. It felt truly like a great achievement to land my ship on that damned planet, drop the bomb and set off again.

Buck rogers: Countdown to doomsday. The part which they stole from the alien movie was great. Entering an abandoned ship, finding out what was wrong, fighing the alien menace, ending the threat and keeping the ship as a reward. It felt like I was playing in my own horror/sci-fi movie/book.

Terra Nova: One of the most underrated combat games of all time imo. After the long and very difficult last campaign mission it was great to see what happened to the invaders. I especially liked the wounded soldier creeping to the nuke and just reaching it as the clock reached 00:00. A little sadism never hurt anybody.....right?

I probably have a 100 more but these are the ones that immediately came to me when I thought about it. Funny thing is, most of these happened at least a few years ago. Are the games not as cool anymore as when I was a teen? Or am I just spending more time on other things, probably the latter.
Cýa

Trash

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
  • When you get the map of Maridia in Super Metroid. Until that moment you realize that it was a fucking huge area.
  • Watching the Fallout dead animations for the first time.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Constipated Craprunner said:
3) Hiigara Burning; Homeworld.
I can look you in the face and compare this game to 2001: A Space Oddesy.

*Necromantic glare*

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
People open tons of old threads when hunting for random encounters.

Fallout:
The Master, The Glow, ZAX

Baldur's Gate:
Candlekeep, Beregost, Basilisks, Basillus, etc. when encountered for the first time.

I don't have any other nostalgic gaming moments :( .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom