Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Not the Time for Dragons

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
No, this isn't a treatise on dragonkin abolishment from CRPGs. Just spotted this tidbit at the RPGDot news forums.

Kalia said:
I will quote this directly from Eddard Stark since as the site is in Russian:

We have some new of an action/RPG "Not the time for dragons" screens on CRPG.ru: Click here to view.

The game is done on the base of a fantasy novel written be Nikolay Perumov nad Sergey Lukyanenko. It is a stimpank in some way. The game uses Blood Magic engine. 2 screens demonstrate the game interface. It's very much like Dungeon Siege - Dungeon Siege 2 (I mean the interface).

Check the screens here. They look nice indeed.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I read Perumov's tolkienesque trilogy and it didn't go beyond standard fantasy literature. Well, the outcome of the third volume was rather surprising and truly epic!1!, but overall I don't think he's a distinguished author. Not that it's essential for a video game.

PS. "Stimpank" :)

spacemoose

Erudite
It looks good but its advertised as an action rpg, so I guess that means realtime combat, and combined with a horrible translation into english (I would bet money on this) means I won't be getting this.

Also try saying "stimpank" in a Russian accent a few times, its really funny.

Watermark

Novice
kingcomrade said:
It's impossible.

According to whom, pumpkin? I have property and citizenship in both countries and travel back and forth three times a year.

I'm too lazy to see who's developing the game plus i lost all faith in "home made" games after Knyaz' and Knyaz' 2 so i won't be getting this masterpiece anytime soon.

P.S. What the hell is "Stimpank"?

Temoid

Scholar
Perumov is a hack whose books are nothing but shitty pulp which is usually hawked by hobos next to a train station.
PS: Perumov sucks.

Section8

Cipher
Excellent! I was hoping someone would come along and revive the long dead "Action RPG" genre! I just wish people were actually developing MMORPGs these days too. Hey, while I'm at it, here's hoping we can also get a World War 2 FPS to break that drought, too.

Now, while it's all well and good to get games based off books, when are we going to see more games based off movies? I could really go for a Star Wars game. Or even better, what about a sci-fi action game based on a pop R&B star? Brandy should be in every game.

Drain

Scholar
Found some information about the game:

http://games.1c.ru/nvdd/?type=news

It's in Russian, but I'll translate the key features:
-Detailed reproduction of popular steampunk universe in 25 locations.
-Dynamic and fascinating game process of a party based RPG with convenient controls
- Large scale battles with elaborately animated participants
- Up to ten characters under the player's control
- Ability to pause the game to give orders
- Hi-tech game engine: completely 3D world that uses the most up-to-date graphics technologies and impressive special effects
-Fresh gameplay elements (items-manipulators, totemic transformations (whatever that means, it sounds cool, doesn't it?), etc.)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
It seems like the only new RPGs I ever hear about are Oblivion, NWN2, and an endless stream of Russian games.

Watermark, my sweet sexy peach, I was referring to your person.

edit: Just by the way, you don't use "whom" in questions. As a matter of fact, I would recommend never using it, it's too archaic.

dunduks

Liturgist
The book is very good, but I have somewhat lost my hope to see a really good and accurate adaption of books into movies/games. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this one will turn out.
Drain said:
totemic transformations (whatever that means, it sounds cool, doesn't it?)
It's just a fancy name for mage transformation into his/her clans totemic animal. Basically in that universe there are 4 elemental clans (water, earth, air, fire) and a bunch of totemic clans with their respective animals they can transform into.

Balor

Arcane
Well, it uses engine of Blood Magic, and it's indeed quite good.
Now, if they will get rid of balance problems, and apply enough polish - it may indeed be a good game.
Not exactly RPG, but oh well.

Balor

Arcane
"It really doesn't pay to get excited about Russian games. It usually leads to disappointment."
Erm... Space Rangers? H&S?
Oh well, there were some mediocre/shit games made in Russia, but, if you compare to ratio of shit/good games made anywhere else...

Section8

Cipher
There are some tzrinschurz in the first post, but only one of them shows anything remotely stampaink.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom