Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nothing is physically taken from an inventory...

coaster

Liturgist
...but you might still get fined for file-sharing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7568642.stm

I imagine the deterrent effect of 1 case in 1 country is pretty small, but with a few more cases perhaps this might add up?

Anyway, wondered if folk here had any thoughts on this given the strength of feeling on both sides of the pro/anti piracy fence. FYI, the only games I have torrented/dowloaded are older emulated stuff - eg. Silent Hill 1 for PC (I think it was an ePSX version) and some Nintendo 64 games. All "proper" PC games I buy.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's just one small example of a rather distressing trend. Soon the internet as we know it will be replaced with the same 24/7 monitored pile of censored state propaganda as the Chinese one. Our governments really are moving in on the internet as rabid wolves lately, with not just cases against piracy but also new laws to read email, demand ip to provide names and adresses of users and data being stored indefenitely.

The internet has grown big enough and has become important enough that states will want to controll what's going on with it. That will mean that it will see some far reaching changes in the coming years. If you think the state controlling and meddling in every little part of your life, than yes, this is very good news indeed.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Well that was a totally random post Trash, which had nothing to do with the story. I was expecting you to start talking about coat hangers. She deserves the fine for putting the game up on a file sharing network. I'd give her several months in jail as well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It does. Untill recently the internet was an utterly anarchistic place, nowadays we see more and more governments, corporations and organisations moving in on it and curtailing everything that happens on it. That story has everything to do with just that.

Heresiarch

Prophet
24/7 monitored pile of censored state propaganda as the Chinese one

Which kind of internet do you prefer, China's full of freedom to download and share and pirate everything with dignity while discussions about anti-government stuff will bring you trouble, or USA's discussions about piracy are prohibited, file sharing can bring FBIs to your house, while Bush bashing is widely welcomed?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Perhaps I should´ve worded that differently. The internet was akin to a free trade zone with minimal government infraction and a huge amount of individual freedom in expressing ones opinions and in an individual's actions. Something like that.

Heresiarch said:
24/7 monitored pile of censored state propaganda as the Chinese one

Which kind of internet do you prefer, China's full of freedom to download and share and pirate everything with dignity while discussions about anti-government stuff will bring you trouble, or USA's discussions about piracy are prohibited, file sharing can bring FBIs to your house, while Bush bashing is widely welcomed?

Neither. I liked it just as the crazy place it has been and to a large extent still is. It is however more and more moving towards big brother's wet dream. That I don't like.

Jedi_Learner said:
I'd give her several months in jail as well.

Have fun paying for stupid idealism then when the prisons are overflowing. Because that's what it is, stupid and overly idealistic. Just like the idiotic "War on Drugs", governments, and businesses need to understand there isn't a damn thing they can do about piracy with traditional measures. Businesses need to change their business model or die out, simple as that, and the governments need not waste time and money fighting an un-winnable battle.

I think even the staunchest opponents of piracy would accept that even though it's "wrong", there isn't a damn thing law enforcement can reasonably do.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Jedi_Learner said:

Have fun paying for stupid idealism then when the prisons are overflowing. Because that's what it is, stupid and overly idealistic. Just like the idiotic "War on Drugs", governments, and businesses need to understand there isn't a damn thing they can do about piracy with traditional measures. Businesses need to change their business model or die out, simple as that, and the governments need not waste time and money fighting an un-winnable battle.

I think even the staunchest opponents of piracy would accept that even though it's "wrong", there isn't a damn thing law enforcement can reasonably do.

++

Hopefully, this post removes the need for another one of those 5 page arguments about piracy...

Hey, what's new in gaming? I heard STALKER Clear Sky just hit gold.

aron searle

Arcane
What a fucking tard.

She had the option to pay £300 pounds and that would be it, instead she chose to fight them and got fined £16000.

Doesnt she know that only murderers, muggers and rapists get let off in court?

Lumpy

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Have fun paying for stupid idealism then when the prisons are overflowing.
They could send her to Israeli prisons. They must have lots of free space after letting child murderers free.
Also, Jedi Learner, suck cocks. She should go to prison for sharing a game? Without getting anything in return? Srsly? I think your moral compass is seriously fucked up.

On the other hand, I think this company acted very honourably. It's disgusting when companies ruin people for piracy - if they want to punish it, it should be gradual, so as to warn people that a formerly accepted crime isn't any more. If anyone doesn't want to listen, go right ahead, but 300 pounds sounds like a reasonable punishment.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Must... resist... arghhh...

No, it's futile.

Jasede said:
Nothing good comes from anarchy.

Actually anarchy is the best 'political system' in existence... I mean it would be if people weren't such douchebags. The same applies to communism - great on the paper, shitty execution.

Lumpy

Arcane
barker_s said:

No, it's futile.

Jasede said:

Actually anarchy is the best 'political system' in existence... I mean it would be if people weren't such douchebags. The same applies to communism - great on the paper, shitty execution.
Communism was good on paper, shitty execution. Anarchy is unavoidably shitty because there is no execution, it's all up to the people. And no matter what you do, a percentage of people are douchebags.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Jedi_Learner said:

You forgot to add: Good night, and good luck.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Lumpy said:
barker_s said:

No, it's futile.

Jasede said:

Communism was good on paper, shitty execution. Anarchy is unavoidably shitty because there is no execution, it's all up to the people. And no matter what you do, a percentage of people are douchebags.

Anarachy just needs a healthy dose of vigilantes to work. The problem being, of course, that douchebags vastly outnumber them. That 'percentage' is probably more like a majority. Vigilantes could win by working together, but then they wouldn't be vigilantes anymore, they'd be the government.

DamnedRegistrations said:
Anarachy just needs a healthy dose of vigilantes to work. The problem being, of course, that douchebags vastly outnumber them. That 'percentage' is probably more like a majority. Vigilantes could win by working together, but then they wouldn't be vigilantes anymore, they'd be the government.
I volunteer to be a vigilante. I'll be a Bald Knobber. Anyone else want to join?

Kaiserin

Liturgist
You're all tools of the bourgeoisie!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom