Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN2 Beta impressions

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL Troika + quality gameplay is funny. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Have you played BL which has gotta have a top 5 worst game play ofall time? LOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

"Even if you win you will be retarded anyway."

Oh SNAP!

Veracity

Liturgist
elander_ said:
Why can't they make two systems? One that is pure tb and another that is rt with pause or whatever crap they want and let us switch bewteen them at will?
Has that ever been done successfully? I think I've seen reference to one of the Fallout spin-offs working properly in either mode, but nothing else I can recall. If the more likely choice is between one system that works decently and two that're both half-assed, I'd rather live without the option.

One Wolf

Scholar
Volourn said:
"an anonymous source brave enough to disregard the NDA agreement:"

Actually, the person is a coward. if he was truly brave, he'd admit to who he was and face the sconsequences of his LYING. He is untrustworthy therefore he is scum.

fuck that.

your reasoning involves anyone in violation of an NDA in moral decrepitude.

thank god at least some people in corporations/government don't see things your way.

in fact, nothing the source revealed was harmful or malicious, making the breach that much more inconsequential. except to us. but who cares about "us", anyway?

bioware?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Nael said:
Ladonna said:
Any stupidly tough classes?

Try rolling a monk :P

Monks are a pretty shitty class to play in 3.5E D&D, at least for the first few levels. The only thing that makes them bearable is abusing the Flying Kick feat from the Complete Warrior splat book, and even then you'll always be second-rate at most things.

But that all changes from around level 12 and onwards. Eventually they become half-Planar creatures with godlike abilities like Abundant Step, Diamond Body, and lots of other silly crap. So they're basically the typical "start out crappy, become godly" character class. They're great for role-play flavor in P&P though, definitely better than just making another fighter or whatever.

NOTE: If you're playing 3.0E, get the DM to admit content from Oriental Adventures and take a Vow of Poverty + one of the myriad of Monk-related classes / PrC's in there. They really fleshed them out.

Alternatively, if you want to keep it strictly 3.5E and don't want to regress, get the DM to admit content from D20 Modern, which sports better Feats and rules for melee-based characters. They nerf the Flying Kick though, :( , so use the Flying Kick from Complete Warrior but the rest of your Feats, etc, from D20 modern, and cherry pick stuff from the 3.5E PHB.

Complete Warrior also has the godlike Monkey Grip feat, which is more useful to straight out Fighters than to Monks, but still very munchkin. I used to have a half-Orc Barbarian who dual-wielded Greataxes thanks to Monkey Grip. Sure, I had a -4 on my offhand and a -2 on my main hand even with ITWF, but a good Rage took care of that.

DemonKing

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
The interface feels more like an update of Baldurs Gate than NWN. The radial is completely gone. Multiple character control is handled pretty much identically to the way the IE games handled it. To me it’s a major improvement, I do prefer single characters but if you are going to have a party, in a RT with pause game, this is the way to handle it. I have to say without a great deal of playing it feels much more like a spiritual successor to the IE games, than a sequel to NWN.

This paragraph alone makes me want the game - I really hated the way NWN handled NPCs.

I probably still won't like the fact the dungeons are tile-based (and hence all look a bit samey) but I'm quietly optimistic about this one.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
It sounds average. KOTOR2 in Fantasyland. If its not too bad I will buy it, but only because theres nothing else bothering about in a few months time.

How about Gothic 3 you little slut?

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
In NWN2, Obsidian has it that if your character(s) fall to 0hp, they remain so for the duration of the battle unless a raise dead/ressuretcion spell is cast on them. Otherwise, they remain unconcious until after the battle (not counting party wipes). It's a tad better than the KOTOR series but still REALLY lame for a D&D game.
Oh, you are *so* sigged.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Ha ha!

Isn't that exactly how it was in KOTOR? How is this a 'tad better'?

Stupid goddam cut-scene obsessed lazy-ass game designers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
When you masturbate with another guy in a hot tub, you assume he's not going to tell anybody!

Excalibur

Liturgist
aweigh said:
When you masturbate with another guy in a hot tub, you assume he's not going to tell anybody!

Did someone say masturbate??? ah man, i cant remeber the last time i had a decent peice of ass... sigh.. :cry:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Oh, you are *so* sigged."

At least quote properly not that i expect you to!

"Isn't that exactly how it was in KOTOR?"

No.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Well I seem to remember that KOTOR had auto-heal when not in combat, although I'm pretty sure they DIDN'T get back up until the fight was over. But I never died once in any of the KOTOR's so I can't recall what happens if all 3 party members "faint".

obediah

Erudite
aweigh said:
Nael said:
Ladonna said:
Any stupidly tough classes?

Try rolling a monk :P

Monks are a pretty shitty class to play in 3.5E D&D, at least for the first few levels. The only thing that makes them bearable is abusing the Flying Kick feat from the Complete Warrior splat book, and even then you'll always be second-rate at most things.

But that all changes from around level 12 and onwards. Eventually they become half-Planar creatures with godlike abilities like Abundant Step, Diamond Body, and lots of other silly crap. So they're basically the typical "start out crappy, become godly" character class. They're great for role-play flavor in P&P though, definitely better than just making another fighter or whatever.

NOTE: If you're playing 3.0E, get the DM to admit content from Oriental Adventures and take a Vow of Poverty + one of the myriad of Monk-related classes / PrC's in there. They really fleshed them out.

Alternatively, if you want to keep it strictly 3.5E and don't want to regress, get the DM to admit content from D20 Modern, which sports better Feats and rules for melee-based characters. They nerf the Flying Kick though, :( , so use the Flying Kick from Complete Warrior but the rest of your Feats, etc, from D20 modern, and cherry pick stuff from the 3.5E PHB.

Complete Warrior also has the godlike Monkey Grip feat, which is more useful to straight out Fighters than to Monks, but still very munchkin. I used to have a half-Orc Barbarian who dual-wielded Greataxes thanks to Monkey Grip. Sure, I had a -4 on my offhand and a -2 on my main hand even with ITWF, but a good Rage took care of that.

Holy shit, I hope I never end up in a campaign with you.

obediah

Erudite
Jed said:
Volourn said:
In NWN2, Obsidian has it that if your character(s) fall to 0hp, they remain so for the duration of the battle unless a raise dead/ressuretcion spell is cast on them. Otherwise, they remain unconcious until after the battle (not counting party wipes). It's a tad better than the KOTOR series but still REALLY lame for a D&D game.
Oh, you are *so* sigged.

*sigh* This is so much worse than the -10 deaths door stuff. Death is rarely final in D&D anyway, there's no reason to gimp it even worse.

I hope they've at least moved raise dead/resurrection to cantrip/lvl 0 or whatever the equivalent is in 3.5. I'd love to see the mechanical explanation for how the dead come back at the end of fights (they're dead or raise dead/resurrection wouldn't be needed). I suggest an intricate backstory with the forgotten realms being overrun with magical enterics. When a person is killed their final bowel movement releases these 'resurrection' bacteria into the air where they settle on the corpse, reviving it.

Bradylama

Arcane
Then if so, how do you explain party wipes? The solution is institutionalized cannibalism.

Yum.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
I would think monkey grip would give you a third weapon wielded in your prehensile tail.

PS if I were your dm I would immediate cause the death of any character who attempted to dual wield great axes, probably by attacking him with a demon lord that was quintuple wielding magic glaives.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jim Kata said:
I would think monkey grip would give you a third weapon wielded in your prehensile tail.

PS if I were your dm I would immediate cause the death of any character who attempted to dual wield great axes, probably by attacking him with a demon lord that was quintuple wielding magic glaives.

Yeah, you have to hate those retards running around in decent RP PWs in heavy armor and dual wielding bastard swords while also being multiclassed to a rogue.

Voss

Erudite
obediah said:
Holy shit, I hope I never end up in a campaign with you.

Indeed. Munchkinism is one thing, but picking the book/edition version you want to use takes it to extremes. Though I've never played with a DM stupid enough to think that was an acceptable way to approach the game. And of course, just mentioning the Vow of Poverty crap is a one way ticket to munchkin hell. Unless your DM forces you to play the Sainted Holiness of 50 incarnations of Buddha that the thing actually requires, but that seems a bit beyond the mechanical advantage he's aiming for.

Plus he got Monkey grip wrong. On, I think, nearly every level. Which is always amusing. Lets munchkin out by purposely getting rules wrong. Yay!

And flying kick sucks ass. +d12 damage on your charge attack. (Which unless you're fucking around with Psionic levels and take the pounce power or something similiar, is just a bonus to 1 attack. Whee. Not horrible, but it certainly doesn't make a fairly balanced class awesome through abuse of it.

Also a weird definition of godly, since the two abilities he mentions by name translate to: Spell Resistence and Dimension Door. Whee. The Uber!
A 12th level monk does have an absurd number of attacks, but then tend to be useless against critters with damage reduction (other than lawful, magic or adamantine).

And Walking Dude- yeah I suppose you do. Its a shitty build that will drag the rest of the party down. I'd much rather play with someone who knew what they were doing.

Texas Red

Whiner
Voss said:
And Walking Dude- yeah I suppose you do. Its a shitty build that will drag the rest of the party down. I'd much rather play with someone who knew what they were doing.

Maybe it is fine for you but not to those who play on RP servers. If you wanted mindless combat, powergaming and 1337 speak, why dont you go with a popular MMORPG?

Voss

Erudite
What are you gibbering about? What does a figher/rogue dual wielding bastard swords have to do with role playing in any way?

Everything about that is pure mechanical exploitation. (Done badly, because they read part of a book by that Salvatore hack.)

Texas Red

Whiner
Voss said:
What are you gibbering about? What does a figher/rogue dual wielding bastard swords have to do with role playing in any way?

Everything about that is pure mechanical exploitation. (Done badly, because they read part of a book by that Salvatore hack.)

Thats called powergaming and it is not tolerated on the good RP worlds. But time to time some people still manage to make these characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom