Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obliblion PC March 20, 2006 ?

Mantiis

Cipher
Re: Double You Tea Eff

Here2Argue said:
HEY GUYS LETS QUIT THE FORUM BOOBERY AND GO BACK TO BEING ELITIST PSEUDOINTELLECTUALS OMG LOL!

I want to be a cynic again... all this boobery is making me thirsty.

I like boobs

Master Thief

Scholar
ESRB

i have a strong feeling that they made the game to fit the mold of a Teen rated game for the $$$.

I think someone should call the ESRB and tell the about all the drugs that are hidden in Oblivion.

If that call resulted in Oblivion being bumped up to M that would cut off 90% of the Oblivion fanbase from the game.

The official morons would riot.

Data4

Arcane

dettociao

Novice
not to bring it back on topic or anything, but:

Here2Argue: Are you saying that M$ charges more in 'licensing fees' for XBOX 360 games (the system they arguably want to draw more developers to) than for XBOX? More than when Nintendo releases a new system? If not, how do you justify the $60 price point in any other way than blatant price-gouging.

Re: The EA Games Ass-Hat Quote: That's true of anything, when you think about it. (CDs/Cassetes : DVDs/VHS : DVDs/BlueRay ) You go up a generation, you go up in price. Period. That's a fact of life when it comes to consumerism, it seems like.

-N

The Internets

Scholar
I actually remember most Sega Genesis titles being around 60 bucks. For how long it takes to develop these games, I'm not surprised.

Section8

Cipher
Re: The EA Games Ass-Hat Quote: That's true of anything, when you think about it. (CDs/Cassetes : DVDs/VHS : DVDs/BlueRay ) You go up a generation, you go up in price. Period. That's a fact of life when it comes to consumerism, it seems like.

That's piss poor. Everyone knows that there's no actual reason for CDs to cost more than cassettes, etc, and that it's just something being done to exploit the consumer. Why you'd want to draw parallels to your own products is beyond me.

I can actually see why the price of games would inflate, given the ludicrous budgets being thrown at them these days. But, it's just going to increase piracy. They'd be better off trying to stem the flow of burgeoning development costs.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Supply and demand. I recall commodore 64 games costing somewhere near a hundred bucks (Oz). And that's without factoring in inflation.

It seems games have followed the Hollywood model. Fewer releases, big production budgets poured into supa-dupa graphix, expensive licenses + huge marketing = sure fire return on investment. Of course the actual gaming itself will be total shit, but so what? If it means the little fuckers will keep coming back for more, why is that a bad thing?

franc kaos

Liturgist
A: Xbox owners are stupid.
B: Xboxes are sold at a loss.
C: Japan won't buy them.
D: Micro$lut wanna screw as many of their faithfull as possible.
E: It's what the market will pay.

The collectors edition is selling for $70 - oh my!

@Chefe: Nice Frankie impression on the release date thing (tho' since the 'loss' of levitation I noticed he's a lot more muted in his support of Bethesda).

Greatatlantic

Erudite
There is definitely market forces going on here. If somebody is willing to shell out $50 for a game, its not that big of a stretch to think they will pay $60, as long as there aren't any $50 games of quality still floating around. I don't know if Microsoft has increased their lisencing fees(which I thought was a percentage), but there is definitely an unspoken agreement among all the powers that console games are now going to cost $60.

That is one way to better ensure a return on an investment of millions in development and marketing costs. However, the end result is fewer games being sold. Sure, Madden, Halo, and Grand Theft Auto will still sell just fine, but what about the rest of the games. You'll see consumers taking far less chances with their own purchases ensuring the cycle of sequels and movie tie ins that plague the industry today. Fortuantely, outside a few big ticket games such as Half Life 2 and Doom 3 which retailed for $55, PC games are still priced at $50, and go down pretty quickly if thats too much for you. Hence, the PC platform is the easiest to take risks on, though original IPs and such still aren't widely widely prevalent. Though, I'm starting to think the blame lies with the consumers. Maybe if they would take a risk and not automatically clamor for sequels, publishers would take note and start funding projects appropriately.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
It's partly because Microsoft is selling all of it's consoles at a loss. They've always foreseen their precious little Xbox Live (skull humping you for more cash to play online games when you already have an internet connection for you computer) and their games as profit to make up for it. I mean folks, who doesn't remember when Xbox and PS2 games at many stores were costing around 60 to 70 bucks? Am I the only one who noticed this kind of abuse in the years past? Maybe it was just Babbages or EB. Who knows?

Actually, when you think about it, it's pretty fair to make console users pay flagrant prices for a 300-500 dollar system that runs next gen. games. Think of all the cash we have to shell out to upgrade our PC's all the time. Ram, CPU's, Motherboards, GFX cards, Sound Cards, etc., I don't feel even a little bit for the console users.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom