Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion: Another interview, another lie?

Gwendo

Augur
HG: There’s a lot of controversy about the soft shadows everywhere on the Oblivion fan boards. Can the PC gamers expect a possibility to enable soft shadow as an option? What is the final point on this matter?

PH: Simply put, we changed the way we do shadows so that the game was actually playable, regardless of platform. The game looks the way it looks in all the screens we've released over the last year or more. It looks the way everyone has seen it who has played the game at any of our press events. It's more a reaction to what might have been than it is a reaction to what actually was.

No comments.

Source: http://www.hardgamers.com/dossiers.asp?no=257

kris

Arcane
Stop making more Oblivion threads! I am at the point where I rather see tubgirl pictures.

Stark

Liturgist
take a look at the screenshots there: there's no shadow on objects and walls.

Chefe

Erudite
Shadows are for pussies.

Real graphic whores prefer plain, boring textures with no shadows. Oh, and lots of bloom.

Combine bloom with no shadows, and it's like you're lookin at the fucking sun.

Go Oblivion!

gromit

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Real graphic whores prefer hand-drawn 2d art. It's so much better than 3d.

I concur. Somebody please give me a game that combines high-res sprites, animation like this, and sure, why not even a few nifty shader tricks. Build the engine strictly faux-2d in D3D, and filtering will make sure you don't even have a long clean-up time after scanning.
dongtkdkicks6lw.gif

PS: Nobody'd better get all "but Guilty Gear! Guilty Gear!" on me. It's poorly drawn and poorly animated but OMG TINY PIXELS

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Yeah really, there is nothing wrong with games in high quality 2d. I'm a big fan of some of the old school top down rpgs and rts games with just real good 2d design. All of this 3d rts stuff is just eye candy and has yet to provide any real strategy as far as I've seen, and 3d RPG's are really only worth it for games where you are close 3rd person or first person views, where you really need to see a world move. Hell, I've been playing FO now and I can't complain about the graphics at all.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Actually you can find a lot of such games with 2d art on the GBA. That's why it's my favorite console. Unfortunately, while the Sonic games on GBA have cool animations, they suck. The first one is okay, maybe. It's kinda on par with the 2 player race levels from Sonic 3.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Thrawn05 said:
I prefer DOS text RPGs.
We are both ubermensches. Let's crush all graphics-whores beneath our feet and rule the world of games as two kings. WE'LL LEAD AS TWO KINGS, YEAH, WE'LL FUCKIN' LEAD AS TWO KINGS!

Chefe

Erudite
wallace said:

Graphic whores can deny it all they want, but that little guy looks and animates a hell of alot better than 99% of anything ever made in the third dimension. He's more fucking detailed too, without all that paralax bump map specular texture shit, or whatever it's called.

If you don't agree, fuck you idiot.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Chefe said:
wallace said:

Graphic whores can deny it all they want, but that little guy looks and animates a hell of alot better than 99% of anything ever made in the third dimension. He's more fucking detailed too, without all that paralax bump map specular texture shit, or whatever it's called.

omg but he duznt cast a shado

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Chefe said:
wallace said:

That thing is mesmerizing.

Chefe

Erudite
kingcomrade said:

Actually, he does in-game. All 2d fighters do. The background also have shadows (even though they're drawn on, they look a helluva lot better than Oblivion's shitty environment).

Chefe

Erudite
Oh, and fuck Mai. This chick is much better.

inowinposeani23fm.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom