Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion Codex Updated at www.elderscrolls.com

HardCode

Erudite
Lumpy said:
But why should races be different? Doesn't that limit choices? Doesn't that mean that, if you want a mage, you have to choose either Altmer or Breton? Why not allow the player to choose any race he wants? Just for the sake of differences?

You are a fucking retard. You just contradict yourself. See above quote, fixed.

ExMonk

Scholar
DarkSign said:
Im really starting to understand that there's a whole section of gamers who really value choices, decision-making, detail...and a whiny section that just want every choice available at all times.

Actually you are ALL whining about a deficiency of choices. You are just at different places on the "not-enough-choices" continuum. But we all tend to flatter our own position, don't we?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
They should be able to..uh, be. They should also combine all the weapon skills into 1 "Weapon Skill" because if I'm using polearms but I find a really cool greataxe, it's not fair that my orkish mage can't use it. I mean, what kind of game limits you like that?

Orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs! Waaaaagh!!

Lumpy

Arcane
HardCode said:
Lumpy said:
But why should races be different? Doesn't that limit choices? Doesn't that mean that, if you want a mage, you have to choose either Altmer or Breton? Why not allow the player to choose any race he wants? Just for the sake of differences?

You are a fucking retard. You just contradict yourself. See above quote, fixed.
No. I'm sorry. You are a fucking retard. Or, maybe you are not. Maybe you just don't have a good comprehension of the english vocabulary.
What you did: You've seen two words which are similar11!lol. And you failed to read the rest of the sentences.
IT LIMITS CHOICES. Instead of being able to choose either one of ten races, you are forced to choose between two races. I did not say it removes choices. It LIMITS choices. Two, instead of ten. Limits. Not removes. Choices.
Of course, sadly, retards are unable to aknowledge their own stupidity. So I expect you'll find another idiotic argument. Good luck.

Chefe

Erudite
Lumpy said:
HardCode said:
Lumpy said:
You wanted to ask me a question?

I did. Lumpy, do you like the cock?

Yes, in fact, I do like the cock. There is nothing I like more than a big sweaty black man's penis rammed down into my throat.

Oh, the ecstasy! The passion! The reverie! The feeling of his warm cum dripping across my lips. Sweet, sweet nectar of man. I am overwhelmed with euphoria at the thought.

DarkSign

Erudite
Sigh.

Ok One of you is saying that by allowing players to be everything you get more possible combinations and therefore more choices.

The other is saying that by not letting all races be all classes, that more choices have to be made in deciding what you want to be.

Put another way...there's a difference between deciding AMONG things and decideing BETWEEN things.

I think that here at the Codex people would come to the general conclusion that the second one is better because it takes more strategy...i.e. there are limitations that it takes intelligene to work around and work with. I agree with that.

Yes, technically all races being all classes does give a higher number of choices...but it takes the value out of them.

Sisay

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
No. I'm sorry. You are a fucking retard. Or, maybe you are not. Maybe you just don't have a good comprehension of the english vocabulary.
What you did: You've seen two words which are similar11!lol. And you failed to read the rest of the sentences.
IT LIMITS CHOICES. Instead of being able to choose either one of ten races, you are forced to choose between two races. I did not say it removes choices. It LIMITS choices. Two, instead of ten. Limits. Not removes. Choices.
Of course, sadly, retards are unable to aknowledge their own stupidity. So I expect you'll find another idiotic argument. Good luck.
Why have races in the first place if they're meaningless, purely cosmetical fluff? It's not about limiting the player nor the pure amount of choices (newsflash: it's pseudo-infinite in all games), it's about making meaningfull choices that just might come and bite you in the ass later. As DarkSign said any race being able to be any class devalues that choice and in most cases goes against the inner logic of the game world. How do choices matter if there aren't consequences? How can you roleplay if the game doesn't react to the choices you've made?

Shagnak

Shagadelic
DarkSign said:
Yes, technically all races being all classes does give a higher number of choices...but it takes the value out of them.
Amen.
Or, at least if they can be all classes, there should be advantages/penalties.
Choices are meaningless without consequences.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Shagnak said:

Have all you Lumpys out there got that? Must it be written larger?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Twinfalls said:
Shagnak said:

PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU!!@!@!@!!!!!1111

twinfalls loves screaming buttsecks with 14 year old romanian kids lol

Chefe

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Twinfalls said:
Shagnak said:

PIKACHU I CHOOSE YOU!!@!@!@!!!!!1111

yes, I do love the cock

CHARMANDER FIREBALL NOW!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Shagnak said:

Well, how about:
Altmer have a lot of magicka, but are weak to it.
Bretons have less magicka, but are resistant to it.
Khajiit have little magicka, but regenerate it faster.
Nords have a decent amount of magicka, and are immune to frost.
Argonians have little magicka, but have big bonuses at magic skills.
Dunmer have a decent amount of magicka, and have a starting Intelligence bonus.
etc.

Instead of:
Altmer can be mages.
Breton can be mages.
Everybody else sucks at magic.

Chefe

Erudite
Lumpy said:
Well, how about:
Altmer have a lot of magicka, but are weak to it.
Bretons have less magicka, but are resistant to it.
Khajiit have little magicka, but regenerate it faster.
Nords have a decent amount of magicka, and are immune to frost.
Argonians have little magicka, but have big bonuses at magic skills.
Dunmer have a decent amount of magicka, and have a starting Intelligence bonus.
etc.

Hey... that's how it worked in Morrowind! And that's probably how it's going to work now!

YOU SOLVED TEH MYSTARY!!!11111oneoneone

VenomByte

Scholar
Because it's not all about magic. There are hundreds of possible classes derived from major/minor skill set combinations. Why build the races around just one of them?

Perhaps if your character is going to be a battlemage, Alter are utterly unsuitable due to their weakness in combat and vulnerability to magicka. Nord on the other hand, might be much more viable, with their combat abilities and immunity to frost. Get yourself the dragonbone cuirass and fire is no longer a problem either. A very powerful character.

You can't make every race eqully viable for every possible class. It's better to just make them individual and let the player choose his or her style. There's nothing to stop you playing an Orc-mage. You might even like the challenge. Or just the extra health points.

OverrideB1

Scholar
@VenomByte
There's only one problem with making it so that some races are better at some things than at others. That blows Bethesda's beloved and much sought-after "balance" clean out of the window. How dare you suggest that one race is better than another at something (anything!).

Why, if that were the case, people would have to make intelligent decisions about their character's class and race. Can't be having that...

Lumpy

Arcane
OverrideB1 said:
@VenomByte
There's only one problem with making it so that some races are better at some things than at others. That blows Bethesda's beloved and much sought-after "balance" clean out of the window. How dare you suggest that one race is better than another at something (anything!).

Why, if that were the case, people would have to make intelligent decisions about their character's class and race. Can't be having that...
Intelligent decisions. Right... In fact, you do need a lot of intelligence to see that Altmer and Breton are better mages.
Instead of making three mage races, three thief races, and three warrior races, which anyone can notice, why not make all classes be avaible to all races? With each race having certain advantages and disadvantages?
For example: Do I want my character to deliver a quick blow, and finish quickly? Then, I choose a character with a lot of mana. Do I want him to use more manipulative spells, and win more slowly? Then I choose one who regenerates mana faster.
And, VenomByte, it's true. But they could give each race a magic, a stealth and a combat advantage.
And, for those who don't understand, character creation would be deeper than "I want a warrior? I choose Nord. A thief? I choose Khajiit."

VenomByte

Scholar
For the same reasons, male and female characters within a race should differ.

Or are Beth afraid of being accused of sexist?

Shouldn't be a valid fear really, since they're already being 'racist' (although admittedly the fictional races involved are unlikely to be upset by the stereotyping, or launch any complaints).

What if they used 'real' races?....

Nigga dude
+10 Basketball
+5 Rapping
+5 Speed
Special
- Automatically assigned the bounty for any nearby crimes, regardless of participation

Da white man
+15 snooker
+5 darts

And sex-differences too

Male
+5 driving
+5 jar-opening
+10 map reading
+5 endurance

Female
+5 cooking
+5 cleaning
+15 charm

DarkSign

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Shagnak said:

*cough**cough*

I made the original distinction and opinion thank you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom