Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OBLIVION DELAYED AGAIN

Kraszu

Prophet
Gothic2 is not hack & slash it enables you to do many quest in diferent ways, you have choices to make.

merry andrew

Erudite
Jasede said:
why should it be wrong to assume that poor souls that have ventured to the haven that is the Codex are interested in cultivated discourse?
Because it's been confirmed, duh.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Kraszu said:
Gothic2 is not hack & slash it enables you to do many quest in diferent ways, you have choices to make.
Honest to God, I can't remember too many of those different ways to complete quests. Care to enlighten a poor soul with a faulty memory?

Oh, and if Oblivion's been delayed again I'm gonna go give my mate the old shrug o' the shoulders laughing out loud-treatment. He's a real Bethesda-fanboy. The little girl.

Kraszu

Prophet
Quest whit narcotics.
Quest whit thief guild (ways to find it, things that you did before can change those ways)
Many ways to get to the town.
Many ways to become city guard.
Quest that Cantar gives you (after he hepes you to get to the town), to get rid of competishion on marketplace, you can do whot he tell you (that would put innosent person in jail) or try to put him in jail fail in that and face the consequences.
After you join the mage guild you can help one person but couple need it, it have some consequences.

There is more but i played gothic long time ago.

elander_

Arbiter
Kraszu said:
Quest whit narcotics.
Quest whit thief guild (ways to find it, things that you did before can change those ways)

That's one where you can take advantage of other skills besides hack-and-slash.

Kraszu said:
Many ways to get to the town.

None depend on your skills.

Kraszu said:
Many ways to become city guard.

Which all amount to some sort of hack and slash.

Kraszu said:
Quest that Cantar gives you (after he hepes you to get to the town), to get rid of competishion on marketplace, you can do whot he tell you (that would put innosent person in jail) or try to put him in jail fail in that and face the consequences.
After you join the mage guild you can help one person but couple need it, it have some consequences.

There is more but i played gothic long time ago.

You don't have a speechcraft skill or a personailty attribute. Am i wrong? I don't play G2 for a long time too. So that's an adventure game choice NOT an rpg game choice.

Kraszu

Prophet
None depend on your skills.

I didn't said that it is stat heavy rpg, as far as i cnow hack&slash=/=rpg that are not stat heavy. Still moarality choices are depending on you in every rpg.

Which all amount to some sort of hack and slash.

Hmm as far as i rember you don't have to fight whit enybady to become city guard.

You don't have a speechcraft skill or a personailty attribute. Am i wrong? I don't play G2 for a long time too. So that's an adventure game choice NOT an rpg game choice.

On other hand adventure games have no choices i would say that gothic action adventure rpg, definitly not hack & slash.

elander_

Arbiter
Kraszu said:
Hmm as far as i rember you don't have to fight whit enybady to become city guard.

Isn't that a quest where you have to solve a crime? Err ... i think i used a bit of "persuasion" in that quest. No other skill besides HS is involved in this.

On other hand adventure games have no choices i would say that gothic action adventure rpg, definitly not hack & slash.

No. Even action games can have choices with consequences. Traditional rpgs are more like Fallout, Daggerfall, Arcanun and to some degree DeusEx where your have a set skills, attributes, tags or advantages/disadvantages and a startup distribution of points. In the game you can build a reputation with certain factions who know you and with your char stats it determines their reaction towards you.

Gothic was in fact very non-linear and it even had a system of factions you could join and a reputation with each individual faction but it had no chargen and minimalistic stats that amount to either thieving or hack and slash where the hack and slash part is predominant. That is you can't level up just by playing a thief and avoiding combat.

Edit: You can do that in Fallout, Arcanun (i think), and Daggerfall. These games have setup the standards for rpgs that unfortunatly software houses didn't want to follow. DeusEx was cool becuase you could progress by using different skills like hacker, stealth, guns, close-combat, non-letal combat, etc. But the game was very linear for the most part and played in a very limited space for an rpg.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
hack said:
oblivion will not meet what most people consider to be early 2006. it has been confirmed.
Confirmed by whom? The Easter Bunny?

Thrawn05

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
OMG GUYS OBLIBLION IS NEER CAN U FEEL IT!?!?! I CAN FEEL IT COMING CLOSUR! /esf

OMG I CAN FEEL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icame.gif

I'm done.

Kraszu

Prophet
Isn't that a quest where you have to solve a crime? Err ... i think i used a bit of "persuasion" in that quest. No other skill besides HS is involved in this.

No you have to become citizent to join, no killing is needed but you can also use your HS skills.

Hack & Slash is rpg that is focused on combat gothic have to many diferent elements to call it H&S.

No. Even action games can have choices with consequences

Like? Beside ability to say whot you want/solve moral prolems is someting that rpg needs that is definitly not H&S element in every rpg moral choices are up to you and are not determined by stats. I didn't say that gothic is tradicional rpg, but it looks like you only see tradicional rpg and h&s i would add more categories becose of diferences in gameplay.

zenslinger

Novice
It is not confirmed that there is going to be another major delay. Someone exaggerated something that was said in that podcast that was released today. Or something.

Jason

chasing a bee
"Confirmed by whom? The Easter Bunny?"

I think Take 2 said it would be Q2 2006 in some financial thingamabob. Don't have the exact quote. That's still spring so it's not that far away. Q1 is almost over, as far as I know.

elander_

Arbiter
Kraszu said:

Any pimp can add some choices with consequences to his games be it an rpg or just an hack and slash game and then give an interview saying "hey folks my game is an rpg, it has choices, see? hu?" this is irrelevant. What maters is that you keep leveling up with the character you have chosen and the world reacts apropriately to your character startup choice and career. Having choices just because it's cool means nothing. As important as choices is having limitations and prejudices against certain characters.

Kraszu said:
Beside ability to say whot you want/solve moral prolems is someting that rpg needs that is definitly not H&S element in every rpg moral choices are up to you and are not determined by stats.

But your ability to convince others and the dialog choices you get don't. Ok so Gothic has some dialog choices based on your "class" or the path you chose in the game still there's no speech craft or persuasion skill and no attributes that influence it. The game is completely dependent on hack and slash to be fun.

Kraszu said:
I didn't say that gothic is tradicional rpg, but it looks like you only see tradicional rpg and h&s i would add more categories because of diferences in gameplay.

I didn't say that either. Call it whatever you like. Be it a light rpg, an hack and slash rpg or an action/adventure rpg. But it's clear that the game isn't an rpg in traditional sense of the word and doesn't even try to provide any chargen or any gameplay besides combat that can keep you going. There are fundamental gameplay elements that are missing here.

Kraszu

Prophet
Any pimp can add some choices with consequences to his games be it an rpg or just an hack and slash game and then give an interview saying "hey folks my game is an rpg, it has choices, see? hu?" this is irrelevant.

They could also easy add persuasion stat if the choices & consequneces would be threre already that hardly makes your point.

What maters is that you keep leveling up with the character you have chosen and the world reacts apropriately to your character startup choice and career. Having choices just because it's cool means nothing. As important as choices is having limitations and prejudices against certain characters.

Well you have since by choices you made early in gothic you determined some future things (reputtation depending on guild). Basicly in traditional rpg you have:
stats that determine your posibilites of choice + choices & consequences both are needed to rp in Gothic you've got the second it is definitly not done perfect but still it makes the game much more diferent from h&s.

But it's clear that the game isn't an rpg in traditional sense of the word and doesn't even try to provide any chargen or any gameplay besides combat that can keep you going.

Basicly i agree but you can avoid or provoke some fights (not most throught), and that is importan for me gameplay wise + some quest don't reqiare any fighting.

merry andrew

Erudite
Plus that's dumb how you can't wear all the armor that doesn't even make any sense since there isn't a prerequisite they should have it where everyone drops armor I mean c'mon.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
merry andrew said:
Plus that's dumb how you can't wear all the armor that doesn't even make any sense since there isn't a prerequisite they should have it where everyone drops armor I mean c'mon.
Is your comma key broken?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom