Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion Expansion Interview

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFI9IoXyGxc

I have high hopes for this expansion and I really hope they don't screw it.
But the way they talk gives me a bad feeling.

"Many games on the shelves don't have as many hours as our expansion, so it's worth its money!"

Oh yeah, hype on... when they begin to brag about the game's length, they certainly do because there's not much to brag about the quality.
At least it looks more original than Oblivion.

EDIT:
He says "you know, it's like, you know, like..." much too often.
It doesn't sound professional enough to be taken serious. As always with these guys.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I just want new places to look at.. fuck the old maps they bore me to death.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Oh yeah, hype on... when they begin to brag about the game's length, they certainly do because there's not much to brag about the quality."

Really? Were you around when the rumour that NWN2 OC was gonna be 'only' about 20 hours? WOW! Some 'fans' go psycho over game length just for the sake of it. R00fles!

Not to mention all ther whining that games ar egetting 'shorter' which is, of course, utter bull.

Gah.

Stalagmite

Scholar
Who gives a fuck about Oblivion or it's offsprings?

I'm only interested in 3 things:

Good Food
Good pussy
Good RPG's

Do you see bad RPG's on the list?

sheek

Arbiter
Looks kinda cool though I won't buy it. Art design has always been Bethesda's strongest point and it was lacking in Oblivion.

Monica21

Scholar
"It's Sheogorath's realm and he decided to call it the Shivering Isles."
Sheogorath thought of a stupid name for his realm.

"A bunch of new weapons and armor sets..." that every enemy will have at level 30, thus rendering them useless.

Potions are the biggest area? Seriously?

So, the best things going for this expansion are new tilesets, creatures, weapons and armor, and potions. Guess it was silly of me to expect any actual role-playing, like expanding your character through dialogue or alternate ways to complete quests.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You are such a noob, Monica. Everyone knows that one expands a character through awesome items and potions.

Monica21

Scholar
Really?!? Shit. In that case, I shall buy the expansion and pretend to be a botanist! :D

denizsi

Arcane
And a real character comes equpped with fast travel

Of all things wrong with Oblivion, fast-travel is really the worst pick to mock it. Despite so many things done wrong, fast-travel isn't done wrong either, there's nothing wrong or bad about it. Get over your LARPER 's syndrome of the urge to be forced to appreciate the gameworld through walking between two points for the umpteenth time.

Oh wait, you can also run and ride a horse instead of walking, for the umpteenth time, right?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Except horses are seriously messed up. I think the only reason fast travel was implemented was because they wanted a way for people to travel which didn't involve the word "LOADING" appearing on the screen every 10 seconds.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
denizsi said:
And a real character comes equpped with fast travel

Of all things wrong with Oblivion, fast-travel is really the worst pick to mock it. Despite so many things done wrong, fast-travel isn't done wrong either, there's nothing wrong or bad about it. Get over your LARPER 's syndrome of the urge to be forced to appreciate the gameworld through walking between two points for the umpteenth time.

Oh wait, you can also run and ride a horse instead of walking, for the umpteenth time, right?

They could have made the fast-travel like Arcanum's or Fallout's, not like being teleported to the area you wish to travel to. They should at least have added random encounters along the way. If you walk to a place manually, you meet lots of creatures. And bandits. When you fast-travel, there's nothing. And you don't even discover the places that lie in-between.
It's really badly implemented.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I dont even bother to have a look at the interview. Is it with Pete Hines?

I accidently found the pre-release interview about Oblivion on Gaming Steve with him on my harddrive.
I recommend everyone to listen to it, its just hillarious. The amount of obvious lies and euphemisms ("no, it wont be handholding!") is just breaking every limit :D

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I dont even bother to have a look at the interview. Is it with Pete Hines?

I accidently found the pre-release interview about Oblivion on Gaming Steve with him on my harddrive.
I recommend everyone to listen to it, its just hillarious. The amount of obvious lies and euphemisms ("no, it wont be handholding!") is just breaking every limit :D

Could you upload it on youtube or something? Would be neat. I'm always in for a good laugh.

obediah

Erudite
denizsi said:
Get over your LARPER 's syndrome of the urge to be forced to appreciate the gameworld through walking between two points for the umpteenth time.

Hello retard! I noticed you failed miserably at english slang, so wanted to give you a helping hand. The term 'umpteenth' is used to represent a range of numbers signifying excessive reptition. As you can in fact bounce around Oblivions villages at will, the slang you were looking for here was 'first' or 'once'.

denizsi

Arcane
They should at least have added random encounters along the way. If you walk to a place manually, you meet lots of creatures. And bandits. When you fast-travel, there's nothing. And you don't even discover the places that lie in-between.
It's really badly implemented.

I agree it could be better with random encounters and some more features, but it's not a bad implementation. A bad implementation is when the current feature fails to work as intended, is impractical or simply doesn not compute. Fast travel in Oblivion is simply lacking.

Hello retard!

Hello to you too, cunt!

The term 'umpteenth' is used to represent a range of numbers signifying excessive reptition. As you can in fact bounce around Oblivions villages at will, the slang you were looking for here was 'first' or 'once'.

I can't fucking believe you really are being a complete moron on this. So you only have to visit each town just once and you can use fast-travel from there on, so what? How does it have anything to do with what I said, or what kind of fucked up sarcasm was that if it indeed was? Go back to my post and read it again and try to comprehend this time.

Lumpy

Arcane
The scenery looks like Morrowind with better graphics, which isn't actually bad. In fact, the graphics do look pretty, and more original than in Oblivion, but that's about all the good news in this video.
I love this quote though: "The spell system was expanded a lot with Oblivion, so we didn't add many new spells." - wtf? Oblivion had no new spells since MW, it only removed many older ones.
What's certain is that only a part of those who worked on Oblivion will work on this, so it might actually turn out better - or worse.

Also, obediah, you're a moron. You're complaining that fast travel is available after visiting a town once rather than umpteenth-1? Could you suggest any better alternative, like visiting a town ten times rather to make fast travel available? How the hell would that improve gameplay? Not to mention that people usually play the game more than once. Do you suggest they should do the ten visits every playthrough?
Fast travel is not dumb. Now, if only it actually had some good content at the ends that would make skipping the terrain worth it...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Lumpy said:
What's certain is that only a part of those who worked on Oblivion will work on this, so it might actually turn out better - or worse.

Worse? That would be hard to accomplish.
If they actually manage to improve Oblivion and don't screw up the interesting scenario, it has good chances to become something that is at least acceptable.
I also read something somewhere about some kind of quest where you have some kind of choice. It's a very small kind of choice, nothing big, but better than all of the linear straightforward quests of Oblivion [which were still good in storywriting, but screwed by the handholding].

The thing that made me grin a bit was as he said how the new ingredients and potions that you can make are the best thing in the whole game. That's just ridiculous... how can some ingredients for potion brewing be the best thing of a big expansion with interesting background?
The way he says that it seems there would be not much other interesting stuff. Well, we'll see.

denizsi

Arcane
I think many of the spells might be unusable in the expansion, because it's "Shivering Isle" so things don't work as they do in Tamriel. Another option would be unexpected effects when casting spells.

Such an expansion, taking place in "weirdo land" might benefit greatly from dynamic environments, terrain and structures changing according to the weather, time of the day, or mental state of the character, as well as the spells themselves, but such I don't think there's anyone left at Beth capable of such imaginary. Beth, the epitome of mediocrity.

Lumpy

Arcane
Thing is, choices should always say something about the character. If the choice amounts to killing either person A, B or C for the ring, there's not much point to it.

obediah

Erudite
denizsi said:
I can't fucking believe you really are being a complete moron on this. So you only have to visit each town just once and you can use fast-travel from there on, so what? How does it have anything to do with what I said, or what kind of fucked up sarcasm was that if it indeed was? Go back to my post and read it again and try to comprehend this time.

You were attempting to be the clever, and suggest that having fast travel to revisit places rather than slogging across the map time after time is a convenience rather than a crime against humanity. However, YOU DON"T HAVE TO VISIT A TOWN BEFORE FAST TRAVELING TO IT. That is why your use of upteenth was was retardXored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom