Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Oblivion Faults that Bethesda must correct in Fallout 3

Crichton

Prophet
I remember when I went to obtain the water chip from that destroyed vault. I had just gotten the game and didn't know you had to inject yourself with the anti-rad stuff. So I went inside, searched around, talked to the computer, and walked out. My geiger counter was off the charts. As soon as I left the fallout area and started on the world map, I died.

I guess that experience in Fallout 3 will make my character an ultra-powerful godlike being.

In my first F1 playthrough, radiation actually did give me super powers. I spent a perk on Mutate! to trade in one of my shitty traits (One-Handed?) for Gifted.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Individual said:
Well, doesn't it make sense since those are alien artifacts. Though how he can use them is another question. And the point of Roadside Picnic is that the aliens were so advanced that they considered humans insects, and probably wouldn't need "armor" or such.
actually, they didn't notice humans

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Crichton said:
I remember when I went to obtain the water chip from that destroyed vault. I had just gotten the game and didn't know you had to inject yourself with the anti-rad stuff. So I went inside, searched around, talked to the computer, and walked out. My geiger counter was off the charts. As soon as I left the fallout area and started on the world map, I died.

I guess that experience in Fallout 3 will make my character an ultra-powerful godlike being.

In my first F1 playthrough, radiation actually did give me super powers. I spent a perk on Mutate! to trade in one of my shitty traits (One-Handed?) for Gifted.

I remember in my first playthrough of Fallout 2 (first Fallout game I played) I picked Mutate very late on to get rid of Skilled and replaced it with Bloody Mess. Back in the day when you didn't know shit about character builds, eh.

Shannow said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
Shannow said:

in all fairness, you pretty much described the radioactive artifacts in stalker...
But is it? I never read the manual for Stalker and didn't play the game much. Does it say that the artifacts are radioactive substances?
And if it did: Does taking over a moronic idea make it less stupid?

iirc yes, they are radioactive. it was low level though, i think, so the explanation was that you probably werent going to live long enough to regret carrying around a bunch of radioactive material.

Severian Silk

Trash said:
Pretty good article. But somehow I got the sneaking suspicion that we will see these exact same faults in fallout 3.
No, these features will, in fact, be significantly watered down, and entirely new faults will be hyped and touted in their place!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Occasionally Fatal said:
Shannow said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
Shannow said:

in all fairness, you pretty much described the radioactive artifacts in stalker...
But is it? I never read the manual for Stalker and didn't play the game much. Does it say that the artifacts are radioactive substances?
And if it did: Does taking over a moronic idea make it less stupid?

iirc yes, they are radioactive. it was low level though, i think, so the explanation was that you probably werent going to live long enough to regret carrying around a bunch of radioactive material.

The key point is that it wasn't the radioactivity from the artifacts that gave you bonuses in STALKER, but some kind of paranormal effect. They never tell us how the artifacts in STALKER actually work, because nobody in the game even remotely understands them! They are radioactive, but that just means you have to be careful when handling them. Contrast this with Fallout 3, where the radioactivity itself causes you to mutate an get phat bonuses.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
I don't think they did an Oblivion review, their search function doesn't show one. Not really fair to call them hypocrites when they didn't even review the game.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Bomberman was an open-ended game - you could walk ANYWHERE on the map - with choices (where to place the bomb, and WHETHER to place the bomb), and consequences (KABOOM !).

And the AI... it was just... radiant. It accurately simulated everyday duties of the blobs, which amounted to eating the player, but that's only because they were always hungry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom