Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion gets better with time OR Gamespies are dumbshits

Relien

Scholar
Of course it gets better. They mostly talk about fan-made mods and how much the community modified the game, fixed various issues or added new content. They even say that the official mods are nothing compared to the fan-made ones. Well, not exactly in these words, but still. One day I will upgrade my comp, get Oblivion with a shitload of mods and will enjoy it, I am sure.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
I will skip all this patching, modding and desperate fixing of a dull game and wait for O2. I have full faith in the devs to copy every good and working idea introduced in mods now, it will be just great!

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Relien said:
One day I will upgrade my comp, get Oblivion with a shitload of mods and will enjoy it, I am sure.

Only if the comp upgrade comes with a frontal lobotomy

Thrawn05

Scholar
Modding is fine in a game so long as the capability isn't abused like in MW or OB.

Beth Dev Lackey: Say, why not add [insert feature here]?

Todd: No. That would mean spending money. I want to squeeze as much money as I can out of this piece of shit before people figure out what an first person RPG game is really like.

Pete: Like Daggerfall?

Todd: I ARE SPAWN OF CTHULHU AND I COMMAND YOU NOT TO SPEAK THAT NAME!!!!!1111

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Frau Bishop said:
I will skip all this patching, modding and desperate fixing of a dull game and wait for O2. I have full faith in the devs to copy every good and working idea introduced in mods now, it will be just great!

Well It's nice to have hope but what you're talkin about is impossible. Despite shitloads of mods for MW - OB has less content (played all TES games and each next one is dumber). Still if you'd like to play OB for the first time - wait a year or so and go the desperate way :) When "O2" arrives - I recommend you do the same thang :D

Deacdo

Liturgist
I may eventually pick up oblivion if the mods get interesting enough. There's an awful lot I want to see changed before even bother trying it, though. I wonder if the official mods and patches will screw any of them up.

OverrideB1

Scholar
For the first time since DF, I find that I have absoluely zero interest in an ES game. Too much hand-holding, too few quests, and far too many problems that fan-made mods simply cannot fix: piss-poor dialogue, lack of consequences, and over-reliance on combat as a means of solving quests.

I long maintained that I'd probably pick up Oblivion when it hit the bargain bins -- it is now a racing certainty that I'll never pollute my PC with that sub-optimal piece of shit, having seen and played it on a friend's machine.

And, as long as Todd 'Combat==RPG' Howard and all his sycophantic Toddlings are ruling the roost over at Bethesda and the ESF, there stands a fucking good chance that MW will be the very last ES game I will ever own.

Mantiis

Cipher
Is there a mod that fixes the level cocksucking enemies in the game? What is the point of leveling if EVERYTHING levels with you?

Oh and NPC thieves in Glass armour - SELL THE ARMOUR AND RETIRE!!!

Relien

Scholar
Mantiis said:
Is there a mod that fixes the level cocksucking enemies in the game? What is the point of leveling if EVERYTHING levels with you?

Oh and NPC thieves in Glass armour - SELL THE ARMOUR AND RETIRE!!!
GameSpy said:
While still in beta, playing Oblivion with The Adventurer's Project is a completely different experience. Suddenly big monsters and bigger treasures are found right from the start where you would expect them, hidden in the more inaccessible areas like Ayelid ruins and the Oblivion dimension. Wolves start at level four and slowly rise to level eight. Bandits start at level six and stop at level 13. You'll never see a bandit chief in Daedric armor and no one will ever be able to win the arena at level 2
In the B.O. (Before Oblivion) era I was sure such things go without saying in a RPG.

It's like if I bought a house and had to check if the roof is really above and not next to it.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I hope other industries start taking up Bethesda's stance.

I wanna go to a Subway and get a sandwich and have them not give me pickles or cheese, but have them give me friendly advice that I have pickles and cheese at home and I can just mod them in if I dislike that.

It sure will be cool.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Mantiis said:
That's where you cheat and load up some mods that give you weapons that are far above what your level should be. That's what I did at one point, until I gave up in disgust. I should've realised that a stealth n bow character wouldn't be catered for properly, I guess.

Really, this is my main contention with the game. It has made progress nigh on impossible for me. I should've done less leveling and stayed at low level just so I could see the end of the game. Going through an Oblivion gate at 2nd level is easier than exploring a cave in the 20's. Crazy.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Stalin said:
Funny the randoms were also levelscaled in wizardry 8 but it was such a decent game

It's because they did it differently.

Like Shagnak says, at lower levels the encounters in Oblivion are all easy, at higher they are all hard, but this throws shit out of wacky because as long as you stay low level you can finish the game entirely too easy.

In Wizardry, the monsters were leveled to you to provide a consistant challenge to you and you had to keep your guys abilities and equipment in top rank in order to survive them. The game was pretty darn difficult from after the Sancturary on out.

It was also a first person party based dungeon crawler, so that is suppost to be what happens Wizardry 8. It's like a DM keeping monster encounters in D&D challenging to you.

ad hominem

Scholar
It had nowhere to go but up, really.

I'm going to pick it back up in a year or two after the modders have really had a lot of time to go to work (and probably after a computer upgrade) and see what it's like. It sucked ass, but some of those mods look really promising so I'll give it another shot...but the mod community just needs some time to put decent stuff together.

Data4

Arcane
ad hominem said:
It had nowhere to go but up, really.

I'm going to pick it back up in a year or two after the modders have really had a lot of time to go to work (and probably after a computer upgrade) and see what it's like. It sucked ass, but some of those mods look really promising so I'll give it another shot...but the mod community just needs some time to put decent stuff together.

You know, if you were to make believe it was a fantasy first person dungeon hack shooter thingy and not a RPG, dungeon diving was generally okay. What sucked was the retarded levelling and the lack of any end-dungeon loot that's worth the trouble. Both of these issues are solvable with mods, and some aspects have already been addressed. It might be worth the bargain bin price purely for that.

-D4

suibhne

Erudite
Most of the mods they mentioned were available within 2 weeks of the game's release. The more ambitious quest mods obviously took time (and are taking time), but I think it says something (not very nice) about Bethesda's level of spit'n'polish that the interface could be so dramatically improved by modders almost immediately after release.

I have to admit, tho, I got a kick out of GameSpy's admission that XBox 360 owners are mostly screwed.

zenslinger

Novice
I got it new for US$30 with shipping from an Amazon retailer. I used the Oblivion Overhaul and BTMod (for the UI) from the start.

I think there's a fair amount to enjoy about the game. It's pretty and the dialog seems good so far -- we'll see how repetitive it gets. (Problem one, though -- beggar asks for money in a scratchy beggar voice, but ask her for rumors and she starts talking like a Duchess.)

Combat...eh. We'll see. They got the 'visceral' feel right but I don't like the twitch aspect.

It's competing for my attention with another go at Bloodlines, which I got most of the way through but didn't finish. So, I don't know how long it will last.

Recently chucked the MOO teat, nice to be back to the single-player RPGs.

franc kaos

Liturgist
OverrideB1 said:
For the first time since DF, I find that I have absoluely zero interest in an ES game. Too much hand-holding, too few quests, and far too many problems that fan-made mods simply cannot fix: piss-poor dialogue, lack of consequences, and over-reliance on combat as a means of solving quests.

I long maintained that I'd probably pick up Oblivion when it hit the bargain bins -- it is now a racing certainty that I'll never pollute my PC with that sub-optimal piece of shit, having seen and played it on a friend's machine.

And, as long as Todd 'Combat==RPG' Howard and all his sycophantic Toddlings are ruling the roost over at Bethesda and the ESF, there stands a fucking good chance that MW will be the very last ES game I will ever own.
You are right about Todd Howard and his 'vision' of what TES is really about, (and I've put my playing on hold for a few months, primarily playing with the CS) - and putting aside the economic realities of producing a smash hit game by pandering to the lowest common denominator and modders 'fixing' the game; I do have to take you to task about the piss poor dialogue options. As long as you fix the length allowed in the CS.ini, the PC is allowed a 50 character response and the NPC is allowed a 255 character response, immediately followed by as many 255 CR's as necessary. it offers branching dialogue thru choices and can further a quest on thru chat or action.

There is still the problem of text vanishing too quickly without voice or silent MP3s to hold them, but I'm confident this will be resolved before too long - heck, the community has already created 3D importers without Bs help.

unlike Vault Dweller creating his own game, if you can't program or create artwork / music - there's still the chance of creating a good RPG out of this engine. Levelling is fixed, the UI is fixed, the compass is fixed, missing skills are fixed, crap beginning is fixed, ugly faces is fixed, lighting is fixed, cities out in the world space is fixed, missing invasion is being fixed, boring countryside is being fixed (mounted combat and crap voice implementation is not fixed).

I'm not saying buy it, hell, if you live in the UK (I live in West Yorkshire) I'll loan you my disc for you to install it (would want it back tho'), there's plenty of nodvd patches for it. In six months, once the kiddies have gone googoo over something else I firmly believe this game will return to its roots - even without B's help.

Mind you, if G3 comes out with a CS (did I dreamt I heard that?) I may just jump ship, and unless Bethesda radically change, this'll probably be the last TES game for me too - I can only imagine how they're planning to streamline the next one - probably without the CS, because us PC owners do like to gripe :wink:

LlamaGod

Cipher
Mind you, if G3 comes out with a CS (did I dreamt I heard that?) I may just jump ship

Gothic 2 had mod tools, I believe, just nobody really payed attention to them.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
No tools in Polish editions of any Gothic game. I've seen some mods, but I believe the tools were unofficial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom