Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion gets GamePyre's groove back

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<A href="http://www.gamepyre.com/">GamePyre</a> gives us a bit of a <a href="http://www.gamepyre.com/reviewsd.html?aid=708&p=8">review</a> of <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a>. The score is a <b>96/10</b> with perfect scores in every area except sound and compatability. The review is around five paragraphs long if you count the last one, which is totally unrelated to the game at all. In other words, this review is pretty damned useless. Here's 25% of the actual game part of the review:
<br>
<blockquote>Bethsheda has made a game that sets the standards for a RPG (Role Playing Game). You can literally be any character class you want in the game and win. Sure there are advantages in some types of characters, but every character has its own story to tell, from the Fighter, to the Mage to the Thief. There are whole quests as long as the main quest for each possible character or faction.</blockquote>
<br>
So, how is it possible for a game to "set standards" when it offers less than the previous games in the series? Unless, of course, <i>Less of Everything!</i> is the new standard.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Falcore19

Novice
What struck me is that every gaming site gave awesome scores. I have looked, and I didn't find any sites that actually critized the game. It was all praise.

Gamespot are a bunch of fanboys who rates everything higher than they're supposed to, but usually they point out the flaws of even the most beloved games. This time, they didn't even mention the obvious major shit in Oblivion. They are all awe struck by hype. It's like a tidal wave.

The gaming industry is really like the movie industry now. Watered down products for the masses and very little for the veteran consumers. [/i]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
And you noticed this just now? If you go and look at your old GamePro/GamePlayers/EGM/etc. magazines, you'll notice this kind of fanboy gushing bullshit has been going on forever, except it's more noticeable now thanks to the internet. (You can compare 20 game sites and their marketing hype, i.e. reviews as opposed to when you were a kid and had maybe 2 or 3 sources which to compare.)

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
From the Fighter, to the Mage, to the Thief? Wow, how radical to include those three character classes in your example of why this is the greatest and most diverse character system evar. How about, from the Merchant, to the Diplomat, to the... Oh right, those classes don't have their own guilds, nor are they in any way feasible if you want to survive past level 5.

96 out of 10 is one amazing score though :)

Drakron

Arcane
Well something awful made it a news article, its not a gaming site but ...

Also there was AG.ru that was not kind in their review.

The "proffesional press" of gaming been reduced to writting things that look to be nothing but fanboy reviews when its about high profile games, I just stop reading those magazines and just get then for the free game.

Jabbapop

Scholar
i hope i'm not appearing thick, but the "five paragraphs" is only the conclusion; that is to say, there are 7 other pages of this "review." you realized this, right, and were using the "haha might as well be" sarcasm, right? sorry, i'm bad at the sarcasm; maybe i suffer from acute aspergers syndrome. :oops:

Lurkar

Scholar
aweigh said:
And you noticed this just now? If you go and look at your old GamePro/GamePlayers/EGM/etc. magazines, you'll notice this kind of fanboy gushing bullshit has been going on forever, except it's more noticeable now thanks to the internet. (You can compare 20 game sites and their marketing hype, i.e. reviews as opposed to when you were a kid and had maybe 2 or 3 sources which to compare.)

Depends how far back. When Star Fox on the Super Nintendo got all high scores by Gamepro, it was a big fucking deal. It made my hyper as shit to get it, because no game had rated that amazing before

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Jabbapop said:
i hope i'm not appearing thick, but the "five paragraphs" is only the conclusion; that is to say, there are 7 other pages of this "review." you realized this, right, and were using the "haha might as well be" sarcasm, right? sorry, i'm bad at the sarcasm; maybe i suffer from acute aspergers syndrome. :oops:

Nope, I'm a dumbfuck. I just followed the Shack News link.

Rhombus

Liturgist
After skimming throught the other 6 pages I can't say that it gives more substance though.

I was first introduced to the Elder Scrolls series with Elder Scrolls II: Redguard. The game was one of the first 3D RPGs on the market.with 3D graphics representing the characters, the scenery, the monsters and more. Redguard was a 3rd person action game, and was quite successful

.. wait.. wasn't it "The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall"...? :?

You spend much of the game building up your character’s skills, and the game will adjust the enemies according to your skill level.

So basically, it's all in vain.. since it doesn't matter?

And my favorite:

Why is Captain Picard in Oblivion?

Mystary.

7th Circle

Scholar
Falcore19 said:
What struck me is that every gaming site gave awesome scores. I have looked, and I didn't find any sites that actually critized the game. It was all praise.

Gamespy criticised the bugs and gave it 4 out of 5, which was lower than their scores for Space Rangers 2 and Galactic Civilizations 2 (reviewed in the same month).

<A href="http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/pc/elder_scrolls_4_/">Game Revolution</a> criticse the scaling.

Jabbapop

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
Jabbapop said:

Nope, I'm a dumbfuck. I just followed the Shack News link.

YAY I WIN BWAHAHAHAH!

:cool:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rhombus said:
I was first introduced to the Elder Scrolls series with Elder Scrolls II: Redguard. The game was one of the first 3D RPGs on the market.with 3D graphics representing the characters, the scenery, the monsters and more. Redguard was a 3rd person action game, and was quite successful

.. wait.. wasn't it "The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall"...? :?

Descent to Undermountain was one of the first 3D CRPGs, too.

Section8

Cipher
I've never actually played it, but I thought Descent to Undermountain had some big chunky meshes and not sprites. After all, Descent's critters were all simple 3D meshes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom