Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion on PS3 + PSP with new lame faction

OverrideB1

Scholar
dongle said:
Yes, well, that was in the magazine that broke the news about the payed-for content. Made sense to show a screenshot in the article. Hard to say if there is a gaping hole in the game where the plug-in was ripped from.

Hmmm, wonder where the new faction's base will be. . . .

While I question whether all of the plugins' content has been 'ripped from' the game, it's pretty obvious from what I've read that the plugins were pre-planned and space allocated for them right from day 1. So the pay-for-play content was planned right at the inception of the R&D cycle -- just like the portability to the PS3.

The horse-amour was blatently ripped from the game -- I remember it appearing in the very earliest screen-shots so it's obvious that models had been created ready for use in the game. Presumably their excision was so that Bethesda could test the pay-for-content model before they started to release their other planned content and continue their fine tradition of screwing over their fans

Klinn

Novice
Didn't Lionhead do something similar when they released Fable for the PC? Added some "Lost Chapters" extra content or something? I can't recall if the Xbox'ers were all up in arms for that one too ... or maybe nobody really cared about Fable any more by that time.

I'm just amused that Beth, or at least their marketing group, did not foresee the anguished wails that this move would cause. At least they should have called it something different like "Oblivion Premium Edition**" to set up expectations that if the added content came to PC and X360, it would cost extra.

(** yes, I can think of several other more RPGCodex-suitable titles, but I'm trying not to get off track here... :) )

Xi

Arcane
So true.

GhanBuriGhan said:
The sad part is how little I care now.

I think that's the worst part about it too. I only found there tactics interesting but couldn't give a rats ass about new content as the game just doesn't draw me in like TES used too. I'm just not excited. /Shrug I think its a case of disapointment/(slight disgust). Interest is waning.

Frankie

Novice
GhanBuriGhan said:

I find it really sad that Bethesda has thrown up the proverable "Middle Finger" to HARD CORE RPG and Bethesda fans, such as yourself, when they released Oblivion.

I hope they enjoy their new fan base, it won't last.

Data4

Arcane
Frankie said:
GhanBuriGhan said:

I find it really sad that Bethesda has thrown up the proverable "Middle Finger" to HARD CORE RPG and Bethesda fans, such as yourself, when they released Oblivion.

I hope they enjoy their new fan base, it won't last.

I don't know. Dumb people have a way of multiplying. That, and the marketting juggernaut (BITCH!) that still reverberates to this day will keep a steady stream of new converts coming in to offset those getting disgusted and leaving. Also, I'd wager that those who are washing their hands of TES are in the sad, small minority.

It's a pity, really. Retards have a way of bringing stuff down to their own level.

-D4

Lumpy

Arcane
Not to mention that 90% of Oblivion's critics will still buy TESV.

Frankie

Novice
Lumpy said:
Not to mention that 90% of Oblivion's critics will still buy TESV.

I can GUERENDAMNTEEYOU that I won't buy TES V unless I'm satisfied that they have gotten back to the roots of what made TES Great.

Lumpy

Arcane
Most of the people here knew Oblivion would suck, yet many of them still bought it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'd say that most people didn't expect a good RPG, but hoped for a good game (Morrowind). Oblivion proved that Bethesda can make a shitty rpg AND a shitty game at the same time, so next time a lot of people would think twice about buying Bethesda's crap.

Edit: I have absolutely no interest in installing and trying the upcoming expansion even for free.

Texas Red

Whiner
Lumpy said:
Most of the people here knew Oblivion would suck, yet many of them still bought it.

Most of the people here will download it as Im sure they downloaded Oblivion.

Micmu

Magister
If you're totally not interested in a game, why wasting time and bandwidth by stealing it? And then littering your hard drive with something that will be uninstalled in a matter of hours?

I didn't download Dungeon Siege 2 or Titan Quest and certainly don't intend to steal any future bethesda products.

Vault Dweller

Developer
micmu said:
If you're totally not interested in a game, why wasting time and bandwidth by stealing it?
Because stealing is cool or something. At least when you are 12.

Lumpy

Arcane
Because the company does not deserve the money, but for some reason, they deserve to play the game.
Any company whose game you play deserves money for it.

OverrideB1

Scholar
I was one of the fortunate few who recognised Oblivion for the piece of shit it was and didn't buy it, despite the fact that I loved Dagegrfall and (quite) enjoyed Morrowind. So, not having brought it, why in god's name should I waste bandwidth downloading it? A piece of shit is still a piece of shit, whether you've paid for it or stolen it. (And you have to ask yourself, what does it say about a person that they won't buy a game because it's so dire, yet will still download it?)

As for FO3 and TESV, I still have some vague hope that Todd will get pink-slipped before work starts on either of these in earnest and that we might, just might, get a couple of decent games. Not holding my breath though...

elander_

Arbiter
Things are very simple for me. No demo then a pirate copy will do as well. I only pay for a game with my eyes closed if i know the people who are doing the game are competent. The case of Gothic 3 and NWN2.

I'd say that most people didn't expect a good RPG, but hoped for a good game (Morrowind).

Err?? Morrowind has brought the series forward in some aspects (world, localized guilds and tescs) the same way Oblivion has technically innovated in others (schedulles, npcs and tescs), however both games are seriously crippled and have thrown away golden features from Daggerfall that were the mark of the series. In other words they made a new game - an Ultima 7 clone with great graphics and the unique touch of Michael Kirkbride and Ken Rolston. It had everything to be a great classic if it wasn't for a mistake of nature called Tood Howard who was capable of crippling a game that had everything to be a classic.

elander_

Arbiter
OverrideB1 said:
As for FO3 and TESV, I still have some vague hope that Todd will get pink-slipped before work starts on either of these in earnest and that we might, just might, get a couple of decent games. Not holding my breath though...

They won't do that. Todd is just a delivery boy who designs his games acording to what the producer who pays his salary wants him to do. He is just a place-holder without any ideas of his own. If is Bethesda the producer that decides what the game is suposed to be they could at least hire someone who can differentiate a crippled game from a functional game, but the comic thing of all this is that aparently it doesn't matter.

Lumpy

Arcane
Right, I though Morrowind was supposed to be the biggest piece of crap ever and the downfall of the TES series, for most of the Codexers.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
Right, I though Morrowind was supposed to be the biggest piece of crap ever and the downfall of the TES series, for most of the Codexers.
Not sure about the biggest piece of crap, but it was definitely the downfall of the *RPG* series. Consolization? Check. Dumbing down? Check. Shift from role-playing to HAWT and mindless AKSHUN? Check. In Oblivion these "features" that were tested in MW were increased tenfold.

Drakron

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Not sure about the biggest piece of crap, but it was definitely the downfall of the *RPG* series. Consolization? Check.

No, Xbox players complained about the interface that was very much a PC interface.

Dumbing down? Check.

Again, no.

Morrowind actually expanded and even if you can complain about the remove of the backgrounds system and its replacement with the sign system the fact remains they added to the series.

Only thing you can complain is it was more linear that Daggerfall but Daggerfall is hardly the example of non-linerality to start with.

Shift from role-playing to HAWT and mindless AKSHUN? Check.

Oh yes, like Daggerfall had much roleplaying to start with ...

In Oblivion these "features" that were tested in MW were increased tenfold.

Oblivion is a completly diferent beast and what remains of TES is free roaming and some basic mechanics, a lot of Morrowind players were up in arms because of Oblivion.

In fact the lore players are very pissed off ... Morrowind had a very unique theme and expanded a lot of TES lore with Oblivion only giving contradictions without expanding on anything.

Oblivion takes from LotR, not from Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom