Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion sacrificed what made Morrowind special: Todd H

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Kaanyrvhok said:
The only thing that really seems far fetched is the radiant quest. If that doesn't sound too good to be true.

Probably another shity variation of what Oblivion had.

mondblut

Arcane
The Codex: loving Bethesda again since the latest Bioware masterpieces.

(i'm guilty as charged, heh)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
stalin_brando said:
we wanted to get back to the more classic Arena and Daggerfall feel of a fantasy world that felt more refined and welcoming
:retarded:

Yeah I remember that all the political backstabbing and assassination attempts (not to mention the dungeons themselves) made Daggerfall feel so very welcoming.

mondblut

Arcane
"Welcoming" = "tolkien elves and plate-mailed knights among the typical western european forests and castles and medieval towns".

He does make sense really, there is no way Cyrodiil, a center of core human civilization, could be weird and alien. Unless you want to retconrape the lore and turn the empire into some subhuman samurai-aztec crap, but I find the very thought of leading human civilization in a fantasy game not being based on our nordic, western european archetypes utterly offensive and appalling. Mud races belong to the far and savage reaches of *our* fantasy, end of fucking story.

But then again, the here-be-vikings-province doesn't sound particularly weird and alien too. I hardly imagine local Olafs and Eriks living in dwellings built from whale bones and using giant snow worms for public transportation.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
there is no way Cyrodiil, a center of core human civilization, could be weird and alien
The initial concept of valley surrounded by jungle and Nibenay vs Colovian would've been interesting enough without needing to be weird and alien.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh... considering he just mentions some ephemeral concept of 'welcoming vs. alien' and doesn't actually state the real reasons Oblivion was worse than Morrowind I don't expect much improvement. The reality is Oblivion sold a bajillion copies, was salivated on by almost every media outlet, and -- most damning -- multi-platform. No reason for them to change that formula for Skyrim.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
I have the impression he's talking about the art style / direction
Well, they did merge all the low points from the entire series in Oblivious, except for the aspects where they decided to plunge into new lows, that is.

Pre-Morrowind TES aren't particularly awesome in terms of art direction.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
Not sure... Daggerfall had some very nice and stark difference between cities in Hammerfell and High Rock, for example. And if you count the spinoffs, Redguard had some beautiful aesthetics in the Dwemer ruins and Battlespire was gorgeous in places.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
Not sure... Daggerfall had some very nice and stark difference between cities in Hammerfell and High Rock, for example. And if you count the spinoffs, Redguard had some beautiful aesthetics in the Dwemer ruins and Battlespire was gorgeous in places.
I haven't played Redguard (or any of the spinoffs - I have Battlespire somewhere on my disk, IIRC), but in the main series Morrowind is a definite high point. Redguard was sort of proto-Morrowind in terms of lore, so I'd expect art direction as well.

Daggerfall did some things right - backgrounds were pretty cool sometimes, for example - but in general it always seemed very average to me in this particular aspect.

Xi

Arcane
mondblut said:
The Codex: loving Bethesda again since the latest Bioware masterpieces.

(i'm guilty as charged, heh)

I think it boils down to trying to fulfill a craving that has been abstinent for many years. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Xi

Arcane
DraQ said:
Oh! That's like with Onlive, right?
;)

I was interested in the tech behind Onlive. Everyone was saying such tech was not possible. However it was, and continues to function to this day. I never said it would be the second coming, I merely stated that you would be seeing a lot more of it in the future. I still believe this, for better or for worse. Of course, I'm expecting the worst.

Destroid

Arcane
The latency issues with online will never, ever be resolved until we have some kind of revolution in telecommunications.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Destroid said:
The latency issues with online will never, ever be resolved until we have some kind of revolution in telecommunications.

They could try to slip "critical parts", but delayed, of the code/assets to be on the server only

Ofcourse, then it wouldn't be thin client anymore, really hammering the point that it's only a copy protection lol

tennishero

Novice
morrowind with radiant AI taken to the next level

fable level combat (fable is the standard for perfection in RPG combat)

and more C&C

you have a recipe for perfection

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
DragoFireheart said:
Kaanyrvhok said:
The only thing that really seems far fetched is the radiant quest. If that doesn't sound too good to be true.

Probably another shity variation of what Oblivion had.

There is a difference from AI and quest.

tennishero

Novice
whats really so bad with radiant AI anyway?

its been nearly 5 years and no one else has even come close to trying to advance AI

i remember the first previews of half life 2, and how far it advanced physics and graphics, facial movements

it was fucking awesome.

but it was fucking shit.

like a stupid pretty bimbo they made their shit look good and used AI rountines that an IBM 386 or a NES could probably handle

thats lazy bullshit

or crysis, graphics so far ahead of the curve- years ahead of anything else. i remember how amazed i was with crysis... but it was bullshit as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOyiyf8T ... re=related

no one is even trying to advance AI, maybe because its too hard, but mainly because it doesnt have that "instant gratification" idiots love

creating characters with complex motivations and agendas that are NOT SCRIPTED, are the holy grails of RPG gaming

to truly get lost in an rpg you need to make your mind believe you are in the game. lazy AI can take you out of there

radiant ai wasn't perfect, and it got alot of hate

but fallout 3 had great npc AI

i think bethesda is leading the way towards NPCs that will really feel genuinely human

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Meanwhile at Bethesda Corp HQ said:
3801.jpg
Sup. Hey we got this new game thing and I called you up here because I need to say a bunch of li.... shit to hype people up for our new game.

3800.jpg
Yes, Skyrim.

3801.jpg
Skyrim? Who the fuck came up with that name? Sounds kind of gay.

3800.jpg
I think it's actually a location in the lore, I searched the lore forums while browsing for "dragon" and "Lore" and fo

3801.jpg
What in the fuck are you talking about? Oh fuck it. We gotta come up with some shit to say.

3801.jpg
How about we go off about how we love some old classic games like New Vegas and Bulletsto

3800.jpg
Those really aren't classic RPG's sir the

3801.jpg
What in the fuck is this RPG shit? Do we make games about the Middle East now?

3800.jpg
No sir, RPG's are role playing games. You play a role. Like master chief in Halo.

3801.jpg
What the fuck is Halo. Do we own that?

3800.jpg
No sir, we did acquire ID software and they ma...

3801.jpg
Oh fuck them, this is our new engine they aren't involved with it. Or could we have them like program a small button in the GUI interface and then say the engine was made by them?

3800.jpg
That "technically" would be telling the truth sir.

3801.jpg
Naw forget it. They probably made some old shit games nobody has ever heard of.

3801.jpg
Why DID Zenimax buy them again?

3800.jpg
I still ponder that myself Sir. They used to make well done First Person Sh

3801.jpg
Right. Then we bought them. Excellent.

3801.jpg
Did we ever make any classic RGP's?

3800.jpg
RPG's sir. And yeah, some people bitched a long time ago about this daggerford... Daggerfall... That's it.

3801.jpg
Was it any good?

3800.jpg
Well it came out in 1986 and featured quests, fact

3801.jpg
1996? Was it like Super PONG or something?

3800.jpg
No, it actually was a very early 3D word and also had

3801.jpg
They had 3D games in 1996? Well I'll be damned. Did you play a role in it?

3800.jpg
Yes it has quests and fac

3801.jpg
Sounds kinda boring actually. Wasnt there a game not too long ago... starts with and L... Lorerape, or Lorefarts?

3800.jpg
Maybe you mean Morrowind?

3801.jpg
That sounds kind of familiar, was it also a RGP?

3800.jpg
Yes, in fact is seemed to be really liked by the community on the forums, until Oblivion.

3801.jpg
Wait? Those fucking forum morans had a problem with Oblivion?

3800.jpg
Yes, they seemed to think we completely fucked up the lore an

3801.jpg
What in the fuck is this lore shit? I think I remember something about it when we bought Fullout.

3800.jpg
Fallout sir, and yeah we just did the standard thing and ignored the older game and came up with cool and exciting new

3801.jpg
Yeah yeah, fuck this is giving me a headache.. oh wait.....

3801.jpg
I have the prefect idea....

deuxhero

Arcane
tennishero said:

its been nearly 5 years and no one else has even come close to trying to advance AI

i remember the first previews of half life 2, and how far it advanced physics and graphics, facial movements

it was fucking awesome.

but it was fucking shit.

like a stupid pretty bimbo they made their shit look good and used AI rountines that an IBM 386 or a NES could probably handle

thats lazy bullshit

or crysis, graphics so far ahead of the curve- years ahead of anything else. i remember how amazed i was with crysis... but it was bullshit as well

no one is even trying to advance AI, maybe because its too hard, but mainly because it doesnt have that "instant gratification" idiots love

creating characters with complex motivations and agendas that are NOT SCRIPTED, are the holy grails of RPG gaming

to truly get lost in an rpg you need to make your mind believe you are in the game. lazy AI can take you out of there

i think bethesda is leading the way towards NPCs that will really feel genuinely human

STALKER has an AI system that acctucally works with patches and does most of what Oblivion does scripted.

Half Life 2's physics engine has made for at least 2 awesome games that make great use of it (Gmod and Dark Messiah)

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think an RPG set in a fantasy setting should be unwelcoming. If you are a random scrub, and the world's very setting includes monsters and dragons and shit, then you should have to work your way up. I think that is what made Risen really awesome to me, anyway. That game let you get acclimated to the environment by working your way through the general wildlife. If you tangoed with the world's real monsters you got your shit kicked in because you were totally new to the island. Only after obtaining gear, weapons and skill could you fight the real shit. There was a real sense of accomplishment. What they're suggesting is that... the world is gonna be mean and brutal but... we'll hold your hand. I don't think you can do it both ways.

DraQ

Arcane
tennishero said:

it was fucking awesome.

but it was fucking shit.

thats lazy bullshit

So very radiant.

So, yeah.
:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom