Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion was flawed and we're not afraid to tell you now

DoppelG

Scholar
Eleven joke already made at NMA. :lol:

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well most of RPGCodex's Fallout news is ripped off from NMA anyway. So we might as well make the joke here as well.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Fine, I'll do it. Get ready... Ready? Ok, here we go.

DarkUnderlord said:
While it could be described as Oblivion with guns, Fallout 3 mutates that game's first-person RPG experience into something that - while its DNA is still recognizable as Oblivion's - is wholly distinct. In fact, the small chunk of Fallout 3 that we've played through so far essentially takes everything that was great about Oblivion and retools it into something better - here are 11 of the best examples we could find.

1. More voice actors
2. Better gore
3. Twice as much going on
4. More interesting places to discover
5. Realistic lockpicking
6. Actual dialogue replaces conversation wheels.
7. Moral decisions actually carry weight and relevance
8. Better drugs
9. Better dogs
10. Nuclear catapults
11. Hats

This one goes to eleven!

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Oblivion had 13 credited actors on its voice cast, but you'd never know it from playing the thing.
Jesus titty fucking christ, you would have to be an absolute moron to not be able to tell that.

VATS in action. We promise it's less complicated than it looks
:facepalm:

Oh, and if you're determined to be some kind of lame-ass good guy, you can directly target weapons instead of the blood-filled meatbags holding them. Just don't get too upset when these low-probability shots go wild, wing your targets and piss them the hell off.
:roll:

5. Realistic lockpicking
Is this game really so bad that they have to bring up the mini game for opening doors as an example for why it's better than Oblivion?

Yeah, dialogue trees aren't a revolutionary way to converse with people in games, but they at least beat the hell out of just clicking on a list of conversation topics - or worse, manipulating a big wheel that forces you to joke with, boast to, coerce and flatter someone all in one brief "conversation."
Yeah no shit. And yet the people at Bethesda didn't understand that until about a year ago for what reason?

Wait a second... am I actually getting trolled by a magazine article? This almost seems to get downright sarcastic at the end. [/quote]

Athiska

Novice
I can tell this guy never understood the use of bribing in Oblivion, or the Skeleton Key artifact.
I've stopped reading game reviews; only a few will say, well, maybe we were wrong about some parts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom