Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion will hit stores on March 21

Rendelius

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
]

Is it possible to be in a state below Corwin?

Its like

-
-
-
Hitler
Susan
Corwin

Your quote is proof.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Susan is some french spammer who also goes by the name S4ur0n27. He also likes Final Fantasy Tactics and lives in a 70's-styled motel.

Corwin is an editor at RPGdot and has an unhealthy obsession with Cleve Blakemore's phallus.

elander_

Arbiter
Rendelius said:
Oh, you understood :twisted:

That you are a shit bomb? :)

Poor kid all this crap because people don't like his retarded game.

dongle

Scholar
I can think of some nefarious reasons for keeping the editor a separate download. I'll admit readily I have no clue if any of these are true, entirely "what if" speculation.

DRM: The downloaded CS could check for a valid non-warezed copy of the game before installing, or loading the game for editing. (OK, that one's not too evil)

Delay: They could be looking to sell more copies of their official mods by delaying the CS so theirs are the only mods available for a time. This already seems true for the 3Ds Max exporter.

Hindrance: It appears they are not offering modders the convenience of un-packed archives, the way they did on the second Morrowind disc. This will make re-texturing models one step harder. This could be for economy, save the price of a second DVD, or hosting for a 4.5Gb CS. Or this could be an attempt to put one more roadblock in the way of modders, making official mods all the more appealing.

Hot Coffee: Take Two, Bethesda's publisher, got into huge trouble for shipping GTA: San Andreas with un-lockable adult content. Including the tools to create Orc Penis mods on the CD might have made them nervous. Providing it separately puts some more distance between user mods and the game's "T" rating.

DemonKing

Arcane
The big questions is - depsite all the bitching and whining - who's getting it?

It doesn't come out here in Oz until the 23rd, so hopefully I'll have at least a couple of days of reading forums/reviews before I decide to preorder it (it's cheaper with the place I use to preorder), wait further for a patch, wait for the bargain bin, or forget about it entirely.

Jason

chasing a bee
"Who the hell is Susan?"
This is Susan:

infidels7ej.jpg

I don't know what Corwin looks like.

Dhruin

Liturgist
DemonKing said:

It doesn't come out here in Oz until the 23rd, so hopefully I'll have at least a couple of days of reading forums/reviews before I decide to preorder it (it's cheaper with the place I use to preorder), wait further for a patch, wait for the bargain bin, or forget about it entirely.

How confidant are you of that date?

Jiles

Educated
Dhruin said:
DemonKing said:

How confidant are you of that date?

Given that it's the XBox 360 launch day, they'd have to be daft to miss the 23rd (or 24th, whatever).

dongle

Scholar
Update to my above post:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 49910&st=0
It appears a 3Ds Max exporter is not confirmed yet.

Apparently some deal with 3rd party licensing, specifically the physics engine. That means no new models, unless they work this out. Potentially this could mean no new re-texured versions of existing models either. That means modding could be limited to re-arraigning existing items, dialogue, and scripting. (which, to be fair is what the Codex cares most for)

Majnun

Novice
Come on people, don't let spiteful little flames undermine the quality of these boards please.

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read here.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Jiles said:
Given that it's the XBox 360 launch day, they'd have to be daft to miss the 23rd (or 24th, whatever).

Is it? I haven't paid attention to the 360. :)

Drakron

Arcane
dongle said:
Update to my above post:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 49910&st=0
It appears a 3Ds Max exporter is not confirmed yet.

Apparently some deal with 3rd party licensing, specifically the physics engine. That means no new models, unless they work this out. Potentially this could mean no new re-texured versions of existing models either. That means modding could be limited to re-arraigning existing items, dialogue, and scripting. (which, to be fair is what the Codex cares most for)

I find it pretty odd they decided to Havok their models AND want to keep the game modable.

I am inclined to say Bethsoft are idiots that either not know what the hell they are talking about or by their idiocy just made some modding incredible hard ... Half Life 2 have havock and yet it does not seen making new models to be a issue.

(Of course Bethsoft is not Valve, for one thing Valve can make a solid engine)

Funny how they expect Morrowind modders all jump aboard despite not making sure they can work with anything but the CS ...

Deathy

Liturgist
xemous said:
I wont, I'll grab it of an ftp and distribute copies to everyone at uni.

Out of curiousity, what uni do you attend?

dongle

Scholar
Drakron said:
Funny how they expect Morrowind modders all jump aboard despite not making sure they can work with anything but the CS ...
I don’t get it either, "we're depending on you" but we won't lift our little finger to help?

Lumpy

Arcane
dongle said:
Hot Coffee: Take Two, Bethesda's publisher, got into huge trouble for shipping GTA: San Andreas with un-lockable adult content. Including the tools to create Orc Penis mods on the CD might have made them nervous. Providing it separately puts some more distance between user mods and the game's "T" rating.
Again, Take two is just the publisher in europe, and they don't influence the game in any way.

dongle

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Again, Take two is just the publisher in europe, and they don't influence the game in any way.
No, worldwide.

And you're telling me that if Bethesda put in an un-lockable scene with graphic Orc on Argonian sex, Take Two wouldn't mind at all, or ask it to be changed?

Lumpy

Arcane
dongle said:
Lumpy said:
No, worldwide.

And you're telling me that if Bethesda put in an un-lockable scene with graphic Orc on Argonian sex, Take Two wouldn't mind at all, or ask it to be changed?
Take Two doesn't publish the game, in the sense that they don't fund Bethesda during the development. Bethesda distributes the game in North America, and Take Two in the rest of the world. They don't influence the game though.

dongle

Scholar
No, they are co-publishers, including the US:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/news/press_020305.htm
Remember where the news about Oblivion being delayed from "holidays 05" broke? A Take Two financial statement. Take Two's stock took a nose-dive afterwards. It is plain as day that they have a huge financial stake in this, whether or not they specifically paid Bethesda's salaries during development.

You didn't answer my question either, do you seriously believe if there were "hot coffee" type content Take Two would say nothing at all? Why, because Pete said so?

Rendelius

Liturgist
It seems to be licensing questions (Havok et al.), so it MIGHT be that we end up with a less functional CS this time. But then again, who knows.

Seboss

Liturgist
Way to pissoff the modding community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom