Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion

made

Arcane
Dunno about ES lore in general, but what was presented in Morrowind itself was pretty cool stuff.

You had the mystery of the disappeared "dwarves". The different tribes and houses of the Dunmer with their own agendas. The Imperium that just conquered Morrowind. The Nerevar prophecy. The Gods that weren't quite what they appeared to be...

If course, Oblivion was another matter. I seem to remember the guy that wrote all the stuff quit/was fired after Morrowind, and they likely had some radom modder write the lore for Oblivion.

Helton

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Are you talking about the ESF? How can you call that place amusing in the least (besides trolling of course)?

Haven't been there in a while but the Lore forum was always very different from the rest of the site. The regulars were a higher caliber and the moderators tended to turn a blind eye with the idiotic rules (actually the reason I left is they stopped doing that, we were discussing in-game religions and couldn't use real-life comparisons when all of them were based on real-life religions...). But we had lots of really interesting discussions.

The acronyms just aren't registering for now. Care to enlighten me?

MK = Michael Kirkbridge... Kirklin... Kirksomeshit. The g.o.d. of ES lore since Redguard or thereabouts.

TIL = The Imperial Library, an Elderscrolls lore fansite. They have all ingame books published + a whole bunch of other stuff.

MK gave them an ultimatum: take down an article written by another dev critiquing Morrowind's development cycle, or remove all the out-of-game lore he had written, or be sued.

Deeper...perhaps. Cooler...that's a matter of taste. Anyways, Oblivion skullfucked the lore to death, so it really doesn't matter anyway. It was quite nifty, but not so much anymore.

Well, yeah. A lot of cool stuff came out after Oblivion, though. None of it makes sense out of context, so it'd be hard to explain. I've forgotten a lot of the terms anyways. "The Something Intercept" lit up a whole bunch of dark areas in the lore and started everyone on a long speculation train about the significance.

Lies, or misguided nonsense. In terms of depth, detail and scope there are only two gaming universes that can lay claim to being deeper than any other gaming universe. Star Wars, and D&D.

If you say so. Star Wars is a bunch of made-up-on-the-spot stuff tagged together, the quality is variable. DnD I'm not very familiar with, but what I've seen isn't impressive. Forgotten Realms, anyways, everything seems so segmented. The alignment system is shit to me, and so much of the universe revolves around it. God of this, that, and basket-crafting. Gnomes act this way, Dwarves like that, elves don't like those people...

If course, Oblivion was another matter. I seem to remember the guy that wrote all the stuff quit/was fired after Morrowind, and they likely had some radom modder write the lore for Oblivion.

MK wrote some stuff for Oblivion, Mankar Camoran's stuff, I think. the Nu-Mantia books. He also did some writing for Knights of the Nine, but I never played that.

Sarvis

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
John Yossarian said:
Did someone get what he meant with 'lack of ability to choose what attack you make' in M&B, because it can't be what I'm thinking right?

I interpret it as "In M&B you can't choose yourself how you attack, while in Oblivion you can choose between quick slash and power attack."

Yeah, this would be a very very stupid statement.

Yeah, great. More people who only read reviews or MAYBE played it for five minutes before deciding.

M&B: Attack button, character randomly selects one of four attacks, release button and watch it go... WHEE!

Oblivion: Normal attack, left/right power attack (which can disarm if your skill is high enough,) backwards power attack (which can knockdown if skill is high enough) and forward power attack (which can paralyze if your skill is high enough.)

Yeah, that's all exactly the same all right. Yep, no differences there! Because disarming is the same as paralyzing!

(Don't worry ERM, I haven't forgotten you I just need to do some other things first.)

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Sarvis said:
M&B: Attack button, character randomly selects one of four attacks, release button and watch it go... WHEE!
So, which version of M&B exactly did you play?

Virtz

Educated
Sarvis said:
One of the earlier ones, have things changed?
The 4 attacks are based on your last mouse movement direction as well as weapon type. Parrying is also 4-directional (although partially automatic unless you set it to manual in the options) and, at higher AI levels, enemies throw fake swings at you to confuse you and get past your defense. There are also knockdowns with the heavier weapons, but no disarming or paralysis like in Oblivion... though I can't help but wonder how paralysis makes sense.

And besides the standard melee, M&B also features well done mounted combat. Horses knock people over, the extra speed makes weapons hit harder and you can even use one-handed pole-arms as a couched lance.

Ranged combat includes bows, crossbows and thrown javelins, axes and knives (and support for primitive firearms, used in some mods). Compared to Oblivion, M&B also has hit area detection, so it does matter whether you hit the enemy's plate armoured boot or the naked head, whereas in Oblivion it's meaningless.

Sarvis

Erudite
Lemunde said:
Maybe everyone else doesn't share this opinion but for me the charm of an RPG is going into an area where the bad guys totally wipe the floor with you, loading a save, beefing up my character(or party) and going back and wiping the floor with them. Level scaling pretty much rips this aspect out and stomps on it. I don't care if it's easier on the devs. I'm the one buying the game so I want some quality time put into the balancing of enemies in different areas.

I've gotten the floor wiped with me several times, so I fail to see your point. As I mentioned before, something like a wil-o-the-wisp can rip me apart in like 10 seconds.

It's important for some players to have to make meaningful choices that affect the rest of the game. Joining all factions at once kinda defeats the purpose of having factions in the first place.

But you're asking to be forced into choices. My ranger character hasn't joined the thieves guild or assasins guild because it's not the kind of thing he would do, rather than because a game doesn't allow it. A game putting arbitrary restrictions like that is against what the Codex wants, isn't it?

The fact is there is no reason for exclusivity as long as the character isn't dumb enough to go around shouting his affiliations to the world. Does Cheney advertise that he's part of the Project for a New American Century? No. Does that membership prevent him from joining a hunting club and shooting some guy in the face? Nope.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
A game putting arbitrary restrictions like that is against what the Codex wants, isn't it?
Arbitrary? Logically consistent, making sense, these things are now arbitrary? Personally I'm fed up with games that don't let you be in two places at once, this arbitrary restriction on player freedom is ridiculous.

"The Codex" wants choices and consequences; not having any consequences come from joining a guild does not constitute a consequence.

Sarvis

Erudite
Edward_R_Murrow said:
What? Grand Theft Auto is all about the vehicles and exploration, with combat basically tacked on.

Ok, instead of cars you're collecting swords (and get to keep them) and still exploring. You've got a lot more sidequests and opportunities to join organizations. GTA3 lets you drive around, and that's about it. The stuff you can collect is largely meaningless, and the most lasting aspect of character building in GTA:SA is turf wars.

What the deuce? What if one does not want a "sandbox" game? What if you don't like them, but like RPGs, and bought Oblivion hoping for a good RPG? Are you saying they don't have a right to like it because "it's a great sandbox game"?

Considering no one here bought Oblivion expecting it to be a good RPG, I fail to see your point. You're vilifying it for being what you expected when you bought it? Do go on.

Maybe it's that we don't want Oblivion as the basis of RPGs, like Diablo and Final Fatasy before. Maybe we would rather people wake up and get some damn taste rather than buying the same hack and slash drivel over and over, just with a new set of shiny paint.

So do what you normally do, and argue that it isn't an RPG. Why, in this specific case, do you argue that it's akin to a sign of the End Times or something, and demonize anyone who likes. Why not, instead of bitching and whining, create constructive criticism or even work on your own games like VD is doing?

No. Nevermind. Certainly it'll be more productive to just call me a dumbfuck.

Perhaps it sucks so much at being an RPG, it isn't one?

I said it isn't one. Several times. What's your point?

Care to argue why said games are shitty in an objective manner as opposed to "I got bored" or some such?

I have before, and even ranted about some of the things I disliked about Fallout below. You responded to it, even, yet ask me to explain why? I'm being accused of trolling?

Half those attacks in Oblivion don't actually o anything, plus the power attack control scheme is so counter-intuitive,

Except that it's the same as Morrowind's, so any "counter-intuitivity" should have been overshadowed by your experiences with Morrowind. And the different attacks DO have different effects once you get enough skill.

especially on a controller. I guess Bethesda missed ten years of action game design theory...

Maybe because they wanted to keep the controls familiar to fans of previous games in the series? You do that with game series. The controls in GTA4 are going to be the same as they were in GTA:SA, which are the same as they were in GTA3 with minor modifications.

Welcome to gaming.

It's a design flaw when one attack pattern is so dominating. Team Ninja realized that one attack was slightly powerful (the suggestively named "Flying Swallow") in Ninja Gaiden and toned it down in the numerous re-releases, making the act of spamming that move no longer rewarding. Point is, games shouldn't reward spamming a combo, it's a legitimate bad design complaint.

You chose to play i na certain style, and blame the game for giving you the freedom to do so? Are you arguing AGAINST a game giving you freedom?

It's not as if you're using the most efficient way of fighting, as you must go through a fortune in potions. Hell, I never had enough potions to fight like that!

It doesn't work on every enemy either, or against multiple enemies.

I know the review may have been a tad bit long (it was the max amount of file space on GameFAQs), but I also included th fact that it was toned down from Morrowind, and not anywhere as impressive as other games. And if not...well....I had to cut almost a third of the review off, so it may have been lost. Sorry for any confusion.

I didn't say better than Morrowind, I just claimed you said it was good.

Good, because I intend to keep using it. ;)

I actually did play Oblivion so here goes....

Wraiths: Got something in between you and their left hand to block their spells which will rape you otherwise.

Not necessary at all. Wraiths switch to melee combat if you close in and hit them which isn't hard at all. This applies to th gloom and vanilla variety at least. And block, strike, strike, potion trumps these enemies as well.

You're either lying or they changed something in patches or between the PC and XBox version, because they've definately used it at point blank range on me. It hurts too, a lot.

Again, you must go through a fortune in potions. I bought houses, instead.

Daedroth: Block, then power attacks. Regular slashes are useless and they will just rape you.

Get a better weapon, regular slashes dominate and the damage buildup over time if using block, slash, slash, potion when needed will prove victorious quickly.

I believe at the time I was using an Ebony Longsword so it doesn't get much stronger than that. (Except when I fill up the charge, but that's my own personal Deus Ex Machina for tough situations...)

In any case, you'd still kill it faster with power attacks. It's just the way the math works when absorption gets high, it's why dex based fighters in D&D get hosed as DR monsters get more common.

Storm Atronachs: Don't bother blocking, they will rape you if you do. Move around a lot, circle him and keep slashing.

Blocking works, there is just a serious hit box problem with the way they "stretch out" and hit you. You need to stand back.

Even if that's true it's a tactic, and I came up with a different one. It's as if the game allows people to have different fighting styles or something. Crazy!

Run up and slash them essentially works. Although a lot of th time they'll rush you after summoning a creature that doesn't have nearly enough power (thank you comprehensive level scaling).

I guess nothing has "enough power" if you have infinite potions. I don't, so frequently the summons can hurt me quite a bit. Especially when a spriggan summons a bear...

Point is, Oblivion combat is woefully imbalanced with the only creature who is dangerous being the spider daedra, which obviously saw the most work and was the only polished creature.

Frankly, I'd rather fight a spider daedra than a will-o-the-wisp in the daytime. Since you can't see it's glow you can't tell when it's about to fire, and getting hit just once can mean game over if it knocks you down and he gets another spell off.

Are you fucking kidding me? Everything in Morrowind is some fucking shade of brown. Brown dirt on brown water with brown houses with brown fucking transportation bugs.

And? It was there for a reason, it wanted to look desolate. It was a stylistic choice and I thought it worked beautifully.

Yes, it looked desolate and created a desolate atmosphere. Then it got boring as you realized how drab everything was, and how ugly everything was. Why does Morrowind get a pass on that when you constantly complain about the similarity of the various areas in Morrowind? At least they are different colors!

Fuck, even the ARMOR is brown!

Except...you know....every metal armor, clothing, and glass/daedric. Go on exaggerating though.

Yeah, did you read the idiotic hyperbole I was replying to? "Everything in Oblivion is green?" You mean like the wildflowers, the yellowish grasses and brown trees and white ruins with yellow forts and... well you get the idea. Yes, I was exaggurating in response to his idiotic hyperbole... and even at that I was quite accurate. My armor, by the way, WAS brown (bonemail) as was th armor of the guards in Vivec.

No, we find the inferior works to be inferior, not the people. Liking Oblivion doesn't make you stupid. Thinking Oblivion is a good game by any objective, progressive, or artistic means....well...that might beg a few questions.

But why is it that here on the Codex it's the Worst. Game. Ever?

Think about it though, you've mostly stated that a lot of the systems are mediocre at best... but how many games actually bring all these systems together as well as Oblivion has? You say the combat is poor for an action game, but it's better than Morrowind or Diablo. The combat isn't as good as God of War, but it has a lot more freedom and better character development options. GTA games may have faster pacing and exploration (per your opinion) but everything is transient, and it doesn't have the peristance and loot collection that Oblivion has. It doesn't do tactical real time combat as well as an MMORPG, but you don't need to grind levels and deal with idiot 12 year olds to get that next nicest sword.

It's done a really good job of bringing things together into something more... well... whole than other games have accomplished.

Yes, it's a lot of systems that are "good enough" but combined into something more than the sum of it's parts. Something you just don't get out of anything else, except perhaps Morrowind if you're willing to put up with the drab setting, poorly given directions, finding forks for treasure and crappy combat.

Well guess what? It's the best we've got. And Bethesda with all their resources could have easily one-upped Fallout. They didn't though.

Only in terms of choices, but since the grand total of people who care about that is the Codex it's hardly likely to happen. Ever. Sorry, they're out to make money... not give you a C&C bukkake. Don't like it? Maybe you can join VD's team.

But no, Fallout's "worse" because, while linear, it actually has a combat system that rewards playing it and isn't hamstrung by shitty AI and lack of tactical options. It's also not marred by a shitty fucking interface that takes forever to do anything with because PC game programmers just can't understand that mousing over everything is the slowest possible way to do shit. YEah, greatest game ever my fucking ass.

Take out the interface part, which is woefully inaccurate (hotkeys anyone?), replace Fallout with Oblivion, and you are right.

I shouldn't have to spend hours hotkeying everything just to play a game and make the interface bearable. And no, the AI in Fallout was shitty. Everyone, expecially your group members" just runs up to point blank range and starts firing. No room for any real strategy or planning. Can't even set up a simple fucking trap surrounding a door and shooting enemies as they come out.

Wow...a completely unsubstantiated argument.

Let's see:

1) AI controlled allies that mostly get themselves killed (AI controlled allies is a BIG thing for me btw.)
2) turn based combat, but you only control one person so it's meaningless because you're just watching enemies rush you until they are close enough to gaurantee hits. Implementation of cover and decent AI (enemies NOT knowing instantly your exact location) would have gone a long way, as well as having full party control.
3) Aforementioned poor interface, especially for shops and dialog.
4) Quests where I expected freedom of choice, but which never had options I thought of or had illusory options. (Being able to blow up the entrance to the radscorpion cave, or sneak the girl out of the bandit camp in the middle of the night for instance.)

I like it....therefore it is good! Brilliant argument.

Interesting accusation... considering yours is "I didn't like it, so it must be the Worst. Game. Ever!"

So you'd rather generic drivel that is the same than reward mainstream developers actually attempting something differing from the norm. Quite telling.

No, but if different sucks then it sucks. If Morrowind had really cool design it'd be a different story. Brown on brown on brown isn't all that interesting, sorry.

That sounds all fine and dandy, but then why in the bloody hell is there a difficulty slide with over 50 points of scaling that can be modulated at the player's whim?

Because some characters might be stronger than others? My second character can only barely kill a single mountain lion, and gets her ass kicked in a lot of fights so I'm considering notching down the difficulty a bit because it's just getting frustrating. (Going to wait until I get some more spells first though, because that might help a lot...)

But no, it's much easier to just accuse people of being inept and stupid, isn't it?

You don't get this one methinks. The gates keep respawning, but there are only about 6 gate templates/maps in the game. Kinda lazy, huh?

Are there? That's interesting, since I thought everything was randomly generated. At least,that's what you complained about before. Maybe you're right though, since I've probably only done like 5 gates total...

Believability. People in reality don't join four full-time jobs all at once, university men don't rush every frat on campus, and athletes aren't on every sports team. It feels fake, contrived, and cheapens the choice. Why wouldn't anyone join all the guilds if they "lived" in Oblivion-Land? It just feels incredibly fake and "gamey".

Bullshit. These aren't full time jobs or teams. You don't put in 8 hours a day at your guild, or daily practice like you do for a sports team. These are more like clubs, which many people do join multiple clubs. Frankly, artificially limiting the number of guilds you can join is the gamey option. The realistic option would be for the guilds to put demands on the players time so that they couldn't have time to keep up with duties for multiple guilds... but that's anathema to TES design, which is all about freedom to roam and do what you want. Not to mention that it would get tedious for players.

Finally, you seem to always wonder why people are so pissed off at you in this thread. Perhaps I my shed some light on this. You've got a background, of making unsubstantiated dissent and generally just pissing people off. You're asking a question that has been answered numerous times. And you're also making some really poor arguments and often not backing them.

Your words would have more weight if it wasn't the same game as when I first came to the forum defending NWN, or whenever I see someone else come here and defend Oblivion. Hell, I introduced a real life friend of mine here once and he made the mistake of making an Oblivion thread and everyone attacked him immediately.

This isn't a reaction to me, it's <i>what the Codex <b>does</b></i>.

If you like Oblivion, and you think it's fun....go ahead. Be my guest. I'm happy for you. I couldn't and still can't have much fun with it. But maybe you should present you're arguments in a more reasonable way....something like....

You: So I just played Oblivion, and found it to be to my liking, what exactly were the problems you found with it?

That pretty much WAS my first post.

You: Why does the Hive Mind hate Oblivion, it's great and you are all total misanthropes!

Are you truly going to go down the DU path and start putting words in my mouth?

You: You all suck you elitist assholes! Fallout, Arcanum, and Torment suck (look ma, no backup!)! Fuck you hive mind I am a totally independent thinker and in no way just rebelling against the norm in the exact way I am accusing everyone here of.

Notice how the elitist assholes thing didn't come until after people started hurling insults at me? Even in your twisted version?

Yeah. Exactly.

Oh, and I never mentioned Torment.

That might help.[/quote]

Sarvis

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
A game putting arbitrary restrictions like that is against what the Codex wants, isn't it?
Arbitrary? Logically consistent, making sense, these things are now arbitrary? Personally I'm fed up with games that don't let you be in two places at once, this arbitrary restriction on player freedom is ridiculous.

"The Codex" wants choices and consequences; not having any consequences come from joining a guild does not constitute a consequence.

The last year I was in Rochester I went to RIT, played volleyball in a rec league, worked as a security guard, studied Aikdio and worked in the computer labs.

Now explain to me what logical restriction should have prevented this.

Or better yet, what logical restriction would prevent membership in the Fighters and Thieves guild. Keep in mind it would require the fighter guildmaster to be omniscient to even know I was in the thieves guild unless I was arrested... which gets you kicked out of the fighters guild anyway in Oblivion, so there's your consequence.

Section8

Cipher
The 4 attacks are based on your last mouse movement direction as well as weapon type. Parrying is also 4-directional (although partially automatic unless you set it to manual in the options) and, at higher AI levels, enemies throw fake swings at you to confuse you and get past your defense. There are also knockdowns with the heavier weapons, but no disarming or paralysis like in Oblivion... though I can't help but wonder how paralysis makes sense.

There's also a positional mode which I prefer. If you hang your aim out to the right hand side of the nearest enemy, you'll swing right-to-left and vice versa. And that alone is probably the biggest reason why Oblivion's combat sucks by comparison - I can choose my swings independently of my movement. Oblivion takes combat back to the dark ages, where you have to do a naff little sidestep, backstep or frontstep to select an attack. It's as archaic as an FPS that doesn't have mouselook, and requires you to hold down a strafe modifier key, precluding you from turning and sidestepping.

Or better yet, what logical restriction would prevent membership in the Fighters and Thieves guild. Keep in mind it would require the fighter guildmaster to be omniscient to even know I was in the thieves guild unless I was arrested... which gets you kicked out of the fighters guild anyway in Oblivion, so there's your consequence.

It's a fictional world, and the authors can shape it in whatever way they want. It's a shame they don't want the player to make tough decisions.

Sarvis

Erudite
Section8 said:

There's also a positional mode which I prefer. If you hang your aim out to the right hand side of the nearest enemy, you'll swing right-to-left and vice versa. And that alone is probably the biggest reason why Oblivion's combat sucks by comparison - I can choose my swings independently of my movement. Oblivion takes combat back to the dark ages, where you have to do a naff little sidestep, backstep or frontstep to select an attack. It's as archaic as an FPS that doesn't have mouselook, and requires you to hold down a strafe modifier key, precluding you from turning and sidestepping.

It's a fictional world, and the authors can shape it in whatever way they want. It's a shame they don't want the player to make tough decisions.

That's not an answer though. The question is what logical way can they do it. The complaint is that the current system is "gamey" yet anything else they could do (such as making the guildmasters omniscient) would be gamey.I'll grant that if there were more factions, some of which you could gain actual fame in it would make sense. But since the factions we're dealing with here either won't care or won't advertise there is no reason to restrict.

Besides, shouldn't you be able to play a double agent if you want?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Why would there be a logical restriction to prevent it? Your example doesn't have much to do with what we're talking about.

Here's a hypothetical situation. You are a member of the Creps or whatever the congoids call themselves. What logical restriction keeps you from being a member of the Bloods at the same time? Ridiculous arbitrary restrictions, really.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2

Well it wouldn't be necessary to make it arbitrarily impossible, like you say (i.e. joining the Thieves Guild sets a flag that instantly makes joining the Fighters Guild impossible), but that doesn't mean they couldn't of put a little effort in to at least make it somewhat more consistent. Remember that the Fighters Guild is supposed to be an organization that revolves around upholding the laws as they exist, and as such would not view Thieves Guild membership as tolerable among its members (especially high level members).

If you consider this within the context of Oblivion, as it was, it wouldn't of been that hard for them to make it at least require a little extra effort for the player to try and balance between these two conflicting roles. If they were being completely lazy, then they could of just gone the easy route of making you a pariah among the FG if you were caught thieving. Or they could of put even more effort in and had extra objectives within the TG missions that are required for you to cover your tracks sufficiently for the FG not to learn your identity.

Xi

Arcane
Sarvis said:
That's not an answer though. The question is what logical way can they do it. The complaint is that the current system is "gamey" yet anything else they could do (such as making the guildmasters omniscient) would be gamey.I'll grant that if there were more factions, some of which you could gain actual fame in it would make sense. But since the factions we're dealing with here either won't care or won't advertise there is no reason to restrict.

Besides, shouldn't you be able to play a double agent if you want?

The biggest reason for consequence in guild choice stems from politics. The motives of the thieves guild and their agenda will be different then that of the fighters or mages guild. Having a person who pledges loyalty to both, or all three, is an obvious sign of disloyalty to both/all. These guilds are driven by different motives and agendas. You cannot pretend to promote them all without a conflict of interest.

This is no different then being the CEO of both Bestbuy and Circuit city at the same time. It's a huge conflict of interest for shareholders(members). Joining and potentially becoming the leader of multiple factions is illogical for this reason. Pledging your loyalty to a guild should be a big deal, but in Oblivion it's not because OB panders to a large audience of lazy players. These people cannot be bothered to critically think about their choices because doing so is "bad game design" to them. When in essence it's really just Dumbing down for the masses. After all, this is what they want - the ability to choose without consequence or meaning. The purpose of a choice without consequence is meaningless.

So if you like shallow, pretend choices that have no real in-game consequences, then you can consider yourself part of the dumb masses. Not that we are all innocent of this. I think everyone falls prey to the promotion of laziness from time to time. Easy is only interesting for a moment though.

NiM82

Prophet
Or better yet, what logical restriction would prevent membership in the Fighters and Thieves guild

There is/was a lot of rivalry between the guilds in the TES universe, in MW Guilds were frequently trying to undermine the others and get one over - sometimes they even came to blows. Thieves broke into mages guilds, Fighters shunned Thieves and so on. It was perfectly logical and the rivalries made the world more interesting and added choices. You do know that the Fighters guild are basically a mercenary police force right? They generally uphold the law and work for the greater good, pretty much the opposite to the thieves.

In the real world there's plenty of examples of mutually exclusive groups: gangs, religions, cults, certain lines of work and so on.

I wouldn't mind if it let you play as a double agent, but that would require risks, choices and some severe consequences for being cought. Oblivion has none of those and makes no attempt to deal with the concept of an agent. If your a thief in the fighters guild and get caught stealing/arrested I would expect you to me made rather unwelcome in their club house. Does that happen in Oblivion? No. The fact I robbed two mages guild in plain sight also had no impact on me later becoming a member of said guild. Seriously, what the fuck? :)

Xi

Arcane
NiM82 said:
In the real world there's plenty of examples of mutually exclusive groups: gangs, religions, cults, certain lines of work and so on.

I'm a Rapist-Murderer-Police Officer-Christian-Jew-Satanist-Buddhist-Islamist-Racist-Asshole! I am! :lol:

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Claw said:
I don't quite understand the reasoning behind arguing with Sarvis. Can someone enlightent me, please?

Things are slow at work, there's still half an hour before lunch and there's only so many times you can sneak off to the toilets for a shifty J. Arthur.

Sarvis

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Why would there be a logical restriction to prevent it? Your example doesn't have much to do with what we're talking about.

Here's a hypothetical situation. You are a member of the Creps or whatever the congoids call themselves. What logical restriction keeps you from being a member of the Bloods at the same time? Ridiculous arbitrary restrictions, really.

How about you're a member of the Cops and also a member of the Bloods at the same time? Oh wait, cops DO this. It's called going undercover.

Like I said, you should be able to play a double agent. The logical restriction for the Crips and Bloods is that you were probably just in a shootout with the opposing group the day before, so they just might recognize you. Since none of the factions in Oblivion are at war with each other, or deal with each other much at all, there is no reason for exclusivity.

Simply put, to accomplish what you are looking for the game would have to impose artificial restrictions.

Helton

Arcane
Sarvis said:
How about you're a member of the Cops and also a member of the Bloods at the same time? Oh wait, cops DO this. It's called going undercover.

Like I said, you should be able to play a double agent. The logical restriction for the Crips and Bloods is that you were probably just in a shootout with the opposing group the day before, so they just might recognize you. Since none of the factions in Oblivion are at war with each other, or deal with each other much at all, there is no reason for exclusivity.

Simply put, to accomplish what you are looking for the game would have to impose artificial restrictions.

Good point, but it brings up another couple of complaints.

1. The factions were completely removed from eachother, which felt overly artificial.
2. You couldn't possibly join the opposing factions. Necromancers? Black Marsh Company (whatever their name was(SPOILER: and I don't mean "forced to join them and betray them in a quest"))?

Is that realistic?

Sarvis

Erudite
Bluebottle said:
Well it wouldn't be necessary to make it arbitrarily impossible, like you say (i.e. joining the Thieves Guild sets a flag that instantly makes joining the Fighters Guild impossible), but that doesn't mean they couldn't of put a little effort in to at least make it somewhat more consistent. Remember that the Fighters Guild is supposed to be an organization that revolves around upholding the laws as they exist, and as such would not view Thieves Guild membership as tolerable among its members (especially high level members).

The thing is the thieves guild in this game is so highly secretive <i>no one is sure it exists</i>.

FGM: "Hey, Bob... someone mentioned you wer ein the thieves guild the other day?"
Bob: "Thieves guild? What thieves guild? Silly superstition if you ask me."
FGM: "Oh, ok then."

If you consider this within the context of Oblivion, as it was, it wouldn't of been that hard for them to make it at least require a little extra effort for the player to try and balance between these two conflicting roles. If they were being completely lazy, then they could of just gone the easy route of making you a pariah among the FG if you were caught thieving. Or they could of put even more effort in and had extra objectives within the TG missions that are required for you to cover your tracks sufficiently for the FG not to learn your identity.

You cover your tracks sufficiently by not getting caught. If your tracks aren't covered shouldn't you just be arrested? Which, as I said, gets you kicked out of the fighters guild.

<b>Xi</b>

The biggest reason for consequence in guild choice stems from politics. The motives of the thieves guild and their agenda will be different then that of the fighters or mages guild. Having a person who pledges loyalty to both, or all three, is an obvious sign of disloyalty to both/all. These guilds are driven by different motives and agendas. You cannot pretend to promote them all without a conflict of interest.

Of course they have different agendas, though the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild are the only <i>public</i> guilds, and their agendas don't really conflict. They just aren't the same. The thieves guild conflicts, but there is no reason anyone in the fighters guild should know you are in the thieves guild. The thieves guild won't care, even if they did know, as long as you keep your mouth shut and keep stealing things. If anything, there should be opportunities to double cross the fighters guild as a double agent.

There you'd be onto something, but arbitrarily saying "Oh. you joined that highly secretive guild we're not sure exists? You're kicked out of this one!" is utterly retarded.

This is no different then being the CEO of both Bestbuy and Circuit city at the same time. It's a huge conflict of interest for shareholders(members).

The difference being that both positions are full time jobs (or more) and matters of public record. There isn't really the time to do both at the same time, and people would know about it. Not to mention people who both work a full time job AND manage smaller, non-conflicting, businesses at home.

Joining and potentially becoming the leader of multiple factions is illogical for this reason. Pledging your loyalty to a guild should be a big deal, but in Oblivion it's not because OB panders to a large audience of lazy players. These people cannot be bothered to critically think about their choices because doing so is "bad game design" to them. When in essence it's really just Dumbing down for the masses. After all, this is what they want - the ability to choose without consequence or meaning. The purpose of a choice without consequence is meaningless.

Except that with the factions given, it isn't. Even if you do become thieves guildmaster, you're not known. If you were known, you'd be in prison for life.

Really, a better example would be Black Rock Company vs. Fighters Guild, but I don't even know if you can join them. BRC is a public guild, so people would likely know you worked for them, and actually <i>competes against</i> the fighters guild so guildmasters restricting your access would actually make sense.

o if you like shallow, pretend choices that have no real in-game consequences, then you can consider yourself part of the dumb masses. Not that we are all innocent of this. I think everyone falls prey to the promotion of laziness from time to time. Easy is only interesting for a moment though.

And ERM wonders why I keep bringing up elitism...? Jesus, just because there's no arbitrary consequences for actions no one knows about doesn't make people lazy. Frankly, you're a bit lazy for not self-policing yourself into not doing things that will make you fail to enjoy the game. I'm not in multiple guilds with either of my characters, because only one guild appeals to the type of character they are. Why do you need to be <i>forced</i> to roleplay?

<b>NiM82</b>

There is/was a lot of rivalry between the guilds in the TES universe, in MW Guilds were frequently trying to undermine the others and get one over - sometimes they even came to blows. Thieves broke into mages guilds, Fighters shunned Thieves and so on. It was perfectly logical and the rivalries made the world more interesting and added choices. You do know that the Fighters guild are basically a mercenary police force right? They generally uphold the law and work for the greater good, pretty much the opposite to the thieves.

Yes, but for the 50th time: No one should know you are in the thieves guild. Fuck, Police have double agents working for the mob all the time as well as the mob having double agents working for the police.

Religions aren't particularly exclusive, nor are cults... in fact cults will take in anyone. Gangs yes, because you see each other while fighting all the time, and no one is going to take you in when you were just shooting at them. See, that's a LOGICAL RESTRICTION. Your protestant priest not letting you in the church because you went to a Catholic church last week... not so much. He would have no way of knowing unless you told him.

I wouldn't mind if it let you play as a double agent, but that would require risks, choices and some severe consequences for being cought. Oblivion has none of those and makes no attempt to deal with the concept of an agent.

Ok, that I'll grant you. On the other hand, such a plotline could easily be it's own entire game... I'm not sure it could be done properly with a handful of quests as a part of a larger game.

And that's where we get into a lot of trouble with the things you guys ask for: There just isn't room/time/manpower enough to make everything happen. They could have spent the entire development cycle on just this part of the game, and then had to start on everything else. And you'd not be satisfied, because it'd be the only plotline with C&C, so they'd have to do the same for quests within a single guild... and then for quests in Anvil, and then quests in Bravil... in short, the game would never be completed.

If your a thief in the fighters guild and get caught stealing/arrested I would expect you to me made rather unwelcome in their club house. Does that happen in Oblivion? No. The fact I robbed two mages guild in plain sight also had no impact on me later becoming a member of said guild. Seriously, what the fuck?

Ok, that is wrong.

<b>Xi</b>

I'm a Rapist-Murderer-Police Officer-Christian-Jew-Satanist-Buddhist-Islamist-Racist-Asshole! I am!

999TMY_Kevin_J_O_Connor_006.jpg

NiM82

Prophet
Yes, but for the 50th time: No one should know you are in the thieves guild. Fuck, Police have double agents working for the mob all the time as well as the mob having double agents working for the police.

Heronimous Lex knows all about the thieves on the waterfront, guards in other towns know who their shady guys are. The thieves guild isn't that secret (unlike the DB). You mention everyone having double agents - has it occurred to you the police know the names of nearly everyone in the mob and vice versa? Do you not think word gets around about who is a wiseguy and who isn't? Proving it ofc is a different matter, but generally if you suspect someone is a wiseguy - you treat them as if they were a wiseguy. You don't blindly give them a job with a security firm, or give them the keys to the bank.

The fact NPC's go on about the guild being a 'superstitious myth' is just bullshit, their existence is pretty well documented in the lore in-game. Plus who would've thought it, criminals conspiring together - fuck me, stop the presses! The game should've been called 'Oblivious'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom