Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Almost Got To Make Baldur's Gate 3

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
GOG just proves that potato PCs can now run games from 2002 :troll:

Baldur's gate reached a "satisfactory" conclusion. There's no need for a third game in the series. Give me a proper turn-based (ToEE-style) game set in Eberron instead, plxz. Heck, I'd settle for a turn-based strict implementation of 4E as long as monster vareity was on par with BG2. The actual combat part in 4E was decent. Just too sluggish to do by hand. Having the computer keep track of marks, status effects and durations would be prefect.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Except the original Baldur's Gate has been on sale on GOG for a while now, and it's sold extremely well there.

because that's totally high-profile, rite? a title being sold on a site specifically dedicated to dead games and dead genres? that's ENTIRELY sexy to a corporation looking to invest tens of millions of dollars in a venture.

lol. I think this conversation now falls within the jurisdiction of our Codex Disciplinary Team. :obviously:

nothing would please me more than being digitally restrained from trying to impart reason on half-people like you. it'd save me a lot of wasted time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
because that's totally high-profile, rite? a title being sold on a site specifically dedicated to dead games and dead genres? that's ENTIRELY sexy to a corporation looking to invest tens of millions of dollars in a venture.

No corporation will ever invest "tens of millions of dollars" in a sophisticated, stat-heavy, text-heavy CRPG. It has never happened, it will never happen.

nothing would please me more than being digitally restrained from trying to impart reason on people like you. it'd save me a lot of wasted time.

:hero:

crawlkill

in 2020 when you no longer own anything but mobile computing and love it you'll look back on this thread and rationalize. seriously, how conservative are you that it's the medium that matters to you and not the message? is it the buttons one through nine that made Torment great, or the words those buttons let you choose? is it Q for quicksave and L for quickload that made Baldur's Gate awesome, or is it telling the mages upstairs in that one shop about how sociologists describe the 'store' as an intermediary point between public and private? if you're so crippled that you think the frame spoils the picture, then you're broken.

anyway, I'm bored, so I'll reiterate-sum up just for completeness: Obsidian thought BG3 was worth making, so it's probably possible to make a BG3 worth playing. the BGEE is a marketing gambit. mobile-friendly titles aren't just the future, they're the goddamn present. beamdog talks like they're earning a contract to do BG3 if their EEs go well, but that's not the case. Codexians can only benefit by this renewed attention and interest in the games, but many are too stupid to see it. that is all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In 2012 anybody who doesn't see how multiplatform, mass marketed gaming has bastardized and destroyed our genre probably doesn't belong on this site and certainly doesn't deserve my attention.

Goodbye, I hope.

waywardOne

Arcane
Some months after my join date, there was another newfag who joined and started asking a bunch of questions along the lines of "what would an rpg gamer like to see in the mobile market". Does anyone remember that? I even posted a picture of him, and after several posts from him where he was trying to convince us that mobile gaming was the future, which we 99% disagreed with, he left without a trace.

Task 1: locate that thread
Task 2: find the (ip) location he posted from and cross-reference it with (a) wherever Beamdog is, (b) BGEE shills, and (c) this crawlkill guy.

crawlkill

Some months after my join date, there was another newfag who joined and started asking a bunch of questions along the lines of "what would an rpg gamer like to see in the mobile market". Does anyone remember that? I even posted a picture of him, and after several posts from him where he was trying to convince us that mobile gaming was the future, which we 99% disagreed with, he left without a trace.

Task 2: find the (ip) location he posted from and cross-reference it with (a) wherever Beamdog is, (b) BGEE shills, and (c) this crawlkill guy.

uh... observation 1: pretty sure beamdog isn't in Germany observation 2: my account picture is a picture of me and since you posted a picture of this person then presumably you uh what

Pelvis Knot

Cipher

uh... observation 1: pretty sure beamdog isn't in Germany observation 2: my account picture is a picture of me and since you posted a picture of this person then presumably you uh what

An analogous situation to this shift from PC (and console) to mobile has already happened. It was when PC titles started being ported and developed for consoles. The consequence of this transition were dumbed-down RPGs, not only because of the audience, but because of simple physical limitations of consoles.

First, the controller is not suitable for more complex control schemes: how many RTS games are on consoles (infinity engine was supposed to be a rts engine, and it shows)
Second, sitting further away from the screen means text has to be bigger, and thus less of it (how enjoyable would Planescape be on a console?)
Third, hardware limitations, particularly pertaining to RAM and graphical power constraints lead to compromises not only in fidelity, but what's much worse, in things like level design (compare Thief 1 and 2 to Thief 3)

It is reasonable to assume something would happen with transition to mobile gaming:

First problem is a repeat of the above (compare Need For Speed editions on PC to those on mobile platforms)
Second, by its nature, mobile gaming tends to be in shorter bursts. In my opinion, most games Codex considers best rpgs are not suited for 10 minute playtimes (personally, I find anything less than an hour or two completely unenjoyable)
Third, once again a repeat of the above

What we assume here, using simple linear interpolation, is that the same (actually worse) simplification of the genre that happened 10 years ago, would happen again. We (at least a significant part of this forum) don't like console rpgs (in before weeaboo codexers) because of this. We will not like mobile rpgs either.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
An analogous situation to this shift from PC (and console) to mobile has already happened. It was when PC titles started being ported and developed for consoles. The consequence of this transition were dumbed-down RPGs, not only because of the audience, but because of simple physical limitations of consoles.

Does this mean in the glorious future when games are cross-platform with phones, there will be a ConsoleCodex yearning for the days when men were men and RPGs were Mass Effect?

Pelvis Knot

Cipher

Does this mean in the glorious future when games are cross-platform with phones, there will be a ConsoleCodex yearning for the days when men were men and RPGs were Mass Effect?

This has happened before, and will happen again. Look under sections: RPG Codex GOTY and Dragon Age: Origins

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
in 2020 when you no longer own anything but mobile computing and love it you'll look back on this thread and rationalize. seriously, how conservative are you that it's the medium that matters to you and not the message? is it the buttons one through nine that made Torment great, or the words those buttons let you choose? is it Q for quicksave and L for quickload that made Baldur's Gate awesome, or is it telling the mages upstairs in that one shop about how sociologists describe the 'store' as an intermediary point between public and private? if you're so crippled that you think the frame spoils the picture, then you're broken.

anyway, I'm bored, so I'll reiterate-sum up just for completeness: Obsidian thought BG3 was worth making, so it's probably possible to make a BG3 worth playing. the BGEE is a marketing gambit. mobile-friendly titles aren't just the future, they're the goddamn present. beamdog talks like they're earning a contract to do BG3 if their EEs go well, but that's not the case. Codexians can only benefit by this renewed attention and interest in the games, but many are too stupid to see it. that is all.
:balance:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Except the original Baldur's Gate has been on sale on GOG for a while now, and it's sold extremely well there."

Define 'extremely well'.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"Except the original Baldur's Gate has been on sale on GOG for a while now, and it's sold extremely well there."

Define 'extremely well'.

Well, it's basically always in their Top 5 sales chart when there isn't a discounted sale of something else.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That doesn't define anything. Perhaps, their top ten only sell, on average, 100 copies a week (if it's lucky). Is that REALLY what you call 'extremely well'?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That doesn't define anything. Perhaps, their top ten only sell, on average, 100 copies a week (if it's lucky). Is that REALLY what you call 'extremely well'?

Doesn't matter that much IMO. GOG has been around for a while now. Those sales have added up.

Baldur's Gate is also the #1 most popular game among game developers. People definitely do not need BG:EE to tell them that this type of game is a "thing".

Alex

Arcane
Let's forget the tablet edition for a second. Surely good BG:EE sales on PC alone can signal to publishers that the genre is still viable, right?

Except the original Baldur's Gate has been on sale on GOG for a while now, and it's sold extremely well there.

Publishers? Hello? Publishers? Can I have my Baldur's Gate 3 now? It's totally viable! GOG proves it!
(...snip)

Sure, Infinitron! However, it is still a bit risky. Our market analysts say that it is much less risk adverse if you can combine elements from two successful franchises in one game. How do you feel about Angry Birds?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Baldur's Gate is also the #1 most popular game among game developers. People definitely do not need BG:EE to tell them that this type of game is a "thing"."

Just because something was/is popualr doesn't mean it's a thing currently.

You sou still haven't told me what 'extremely well' even means. Likely because you don't even know what you mean by 'extremely well'.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"Baldur's Gate is also the #1 most popular game among game developers. People definitely do not need BG:EE to tell them that this type of game is a "thing"."

Just because something was/is popualr doesn't mean it's a thing currently.

You sou still haven't told me what 'extremely well' even means. Likely because you don't even know what you mean by 'extremely well'.

Ask JudasIscariot, maybe he can give us a ballpark estimate.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
4million to make a BG-PST-IWD spirtual successor. 25 million to make BG3. FUCK OFF WITH THE BULLSHITZ feargus.
Technically, Obsidian only asked for $1 million.

Therefore: In 2007, Obsidian needed $25 million to make Baldur's Gate 3.

In 2012, Obsidian only asked for $1 million to make Project: Eternity (a "spiritual successor" to the BG series).

If we add 5% inflation every year, the budget for a BG3 today would be in the vicinity of $31 million.

One wonders what those extra 30 millions gets you... or maybe just how shit P:E is going to be?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BG3 would have been a fully 3D immersion next gen Fear In The Orks Eye™ Action RPG (basically Dragon Age with D&D). Not an isometric RTwP game like PE.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Technically, Obsidian only asked for $1 million.

Honestly that's kind of a pain in the neck tho. 1 million gets you nothing, really, development-wise. DFA's original idea at 400K was a 3-man team making like a flash-game quality level thing. This kind of money is peanuts in the industry.

One wonders what those extra 30 millions gets you...

Voice acting and pretty graphics.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Don't forget NEXT GEN mass marketing with Doritos and Mountain Dew.

34iqxzt.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom