Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian has posted up a PC Format review of NWN2

Texas Red

Whiner
NWN 2 forums:

"PC Gamer has reviewed NWN2 in their Dec issue, it scored 90%!"

Ladonna

Arcane
Reading the requirements on the bottom of the Review.....needs a 512mb graphics card? :shock:

What.The.Fuck?

I am assuming the reviewer is just a moron. Its the only sane explanation.

Texas Red

Whiner
So far everything is quite positive. My bigestestest concern were the possibilty of the bugs but it seems that we shouldnt worry about it. Nobody mentioned anything yet.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... stcount=86

Desslock:

"That's said, and I don't really want to pre-empt my review, so I'll just say that I think it's the best game these guys have done since Planescape Torment - the story aspects, and use of the D&D system, are that good. Easily the best D&D game since BG2."

golgotha

Liturgist
The Walkin' Dude said:
NWN 2 forums:

"PC Gamer has reviewed NWN2 in their Dec issue, it scored 90%!"
Using the superb PCG-to-reality converter, that can either mean its really a 65% or a 96%.

512MB GPU? Jesus. I'm covered, but thats a hefty system req.

Edit: That's coming from Desslock though, thats like taking Helen Keller's interpretation on fine art.

Ladonna

Arcane
Walkin Dude: I don't think this game will stink, but quoting Desslock the arse nester is hardly going to help matters.... :wink:

Lumpy: This happened with Magazines because one wanted to always get out before the competition....And so the madness continues. Chick Mags are much worse; you could be reading the december edition of Cleo in August....

Texas Red

Whiner
Ladonna said:
Walkin Dude: I don't think this game will stink, but quoting Desslock the arse nester is hardly going to help matters.... :wink:

Just pointing out the opinions. So far people are pleased.

Admiral jimbob said:
Agreed... there's no way it'll require a 512mb card. I highly doubt it'll be more demanding than Oblivion, as the graphics aren't THAT great.

Technically, it's possible, if they use hundreds of huge uncompressed textures with bump mapping even with relatively simple geometry. Still, though both Doom 3 or Quake 4 wanted 512mb video memory for maximum quality, they worked on 256 and even 128mb cards. The only difference was heavy slowdown on texture caching.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Desslock is a moron. He believes NWN2 uses the KOTOR2 engine. L0LLERZ

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
It doesn't require 512mb card. I am in the multiplayer beta and ran it well on my girlfriends 256mb AGP 6600 and ran pretty well.

The single player is more like KOTOR, especially the dialog, which I thought was the strongest point to KOTOR. ie: using your diplomacy, bluff, intimidate skills to obtain new dialog options (though they don't always work - as in there isn't 100% success if you don't have the right skills) I hope this style transfers over to single player campaigns.

Nael

Arcane
Jack_Deth said:
I hope this style transfers over to single player campaigns.

I'd imagine it probably does. That was one of the few strengths of the NWN1 single player game, so I doubt they would've tried to reinvent the wheel in that regard. *shrug*

Veracity

Liturgist
Extreme lack of information on what's to be had out of the single-player campaign there, but can't really be helped if the review's going to try to fairly cover everything the game's trying to be.

This is all very well, but is there a half-insane hag who has a messed up maternal-cum-nemesis relationship with the player character and commands more sympathy than the rest of the NPCs combined?

Also, how many elves can a male player character potentially sleep with? BG2 had two and a half (I think), so anything less than three would clearly be a rip-off.

Regarding bugginess and the story's suckiness or lack thereof, I don't think it'll be possible to make much of an educated guess until there are a lot of reviews out, and trawling Obsidian forums a month or so after release probably wouldn't hurt. Metacritic KOTOR2 or Bloodlines and see how much emphasis you can find in those reviews on their respective endgame shambles.

elander_

Arbiter
"if you've played Knights of the Old Republic, if you've played a D&D game, just mash them together and you'll have a good enough grasp on it."

I never played knights of the old republic but i just aquired ToEE recently which is probably the best D&D game one can get. After spending more than an hour reading the manual and learning DND35 rules, im playing ToEE right now, patched with the 5.0 unofficial patch.

Battles are very hard but i'm liking it. Sometimes it necessary to save/reload several times but it doesn't mater. Batles are won with a good dose of luck, usage of resources and positioning in the battle field. It's a very interesting game BECAUSE IT'S THAT HARD.

Somehow i doubt NWN2 will be able to provide the chalenge level for someone who has played ToEE to the end. Im only hoping NWN2 will shine on the dialog and plot side.

".....needs a 512mb graphics card? Shocked "

Bullshit.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Gee, great review. Combat isn't even mentioned once.

So, Mr Deth - how is the combat? Does it suck, or blow?

Ladonna

Arcane
Well, I assume it will need to suck in order to get the combat to blow would it not? :wink:

I agree though, that review is an extremely poor, generalised piece of work. Would have taken all of 10-15 minutes to write?

I am guessing it will be standard KOTOR type fare, with combat being a speedhump to the rest of the story. Hopefully I am wrong....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I doubt that. I don't why Desslock, and other morons comapre it to KOTOR. It's more likely to be like NWN.

It be better be or else it'll just be ok.

And, not the BETS GAME EVAR!!!

Ladonna

Arcane
No way it will be BEST GAME EVAR!!11!!

It just hasn't got the graphics. It might be the deepest game in history (I doubt this though...) but if it hasn't got the bling, no way it will reach the pinnacle.

G3 might have been able to do it, but it has three things against it.

Bugs.

And it is hard. This point is especially horrid to the mainstream press.

You can only be a guy with a goatie (Many chicks refuse to play because of this, I don't really give a shit).

No doubt there will be some more reviews coming out about NWN2 any day now..

Ladonna said:
You can only be a guy with a goatie (Many chicks refuse to play because of this, I don't really give a shit).
What's the big problem with chicks and male characters anyway? I've yet to see a guy who refuses to play just because main hero is female, but with chicks it happens way too often.

Texas Red

Whiner
elander_ said:
"if you've played Knights of the Old Republic, if you've played a D&D game, just mash them together and you'll have a good enough grasp on it."
Battles are very hard but i'm liking it. Sometimes it necessary to save/reload several times but it doesn't mater. Batles are won with a good dose of luck, usage of resources and positioning in the battle field. It's a very interesting game BECAUSE IT'S THAT HARD.

Somehow i doubt NWN2 will be able to provide the chalenge level for someone who has played ToEE to the end. Im only hoping NWN2 will shine on the dialog and plot side.

What? You never before played a D&D CRPG? Yes, ToEE is good... *combat* wise. The atmosphere is great too but everything else is just bad. Especially the huge dungeons where there are only a couple of places to rest. There is a spell in the manuel that allows you to be teleported to a safe area but for some reason its missing from the actual game. Prepare to run back and forth and suffer the deaths of braincells through annoyance.

Get yourself Baldur's Gate and learn what it is to face challenging, and yet enjoyable, combat along with plenty of other quality features not found in ToEE.

Araanor

Liturgist
I think a description of BG combat would be more like "annoying, messy, stupid and occasionally entertaining". It's not in the same league as TOEE. BG is ok for exploring, and lasts for a bit though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom