Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian - "Project New Jersey"

Silellak

Cipher
Raapys said:
It had great writing though.

No argument there.

shenlong01fl6.png

A user named cat

thesheeep said:
What I dislike about Tekken is that it just is so painfully slow. Seriously, play a round of KoF or Street Fighter, followed by a round of Tekken. Feels like slow motion.
On the other hand, if you have a girlfriend, this might be the right beat em up game to play together. And I mean this in a positive way, as you can still have fun with Tekken, of course ;)
What I think puts Tekken above the others - especially regarding part 4 - is a sense of flow to the fighting mechanics. If you learn a character in and out, you can work over someone easily even if they try button mashing. The characters have great combos, even without having to be a juggle whore (which is the stupidest thing in fighting games and ruins most of them).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Barbarian was the best fighting game ever. After endless swordfighting you finally faced the end boss who was a wizard and could kill you with a single ranged hit. The awesome thing was that you could defeat him by simply rolling down twice and then kicking him in the gut, once.

Silellak

Cipher
ghostdog said:
Barbarian was the best fighting game ever. After endless swordfighting you finally faced the end boss who was a wizard and could kill you with a single ranged hit. The awesome thing was that you could defeat him by simply rolling down twice and then kicking him in the gut, once.

Reminds me of Bushido Blade. After 6 or 7 "realistic" (1 fatal hit = dead) swordfights, you come face to face with an assassin who has a gun.

Ow.

(PS - Bushido Blade is amazing)

A user named cat

Bushido Blade was great, part 2 was just awful though. From what I remember, they even did away with the best feature from the first one -- being able to cripple opponent's legs. Trying to crawl and fight back was pretty awesome.

Silellak

Cipher
Phantasmal said:
Bushido Blade was great, part 2 was just awful though. From what I remember, they even did away with the best feature from the first one -- being able to cripple opponent's legs. Trying to crawl and fight back was pretty awesome.

Yeah, I was really disappointed in the sequel, especially the lack of ability to cripple the legs. There was nothing like taking out someone while crippled.

Or, even better, watching two crippled characters go at it.

The best, however, was when two cripples managed to simulaneously kill each other.

deuxhero

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
An RPG with Tekken/Soul Calibur-like combat would even be awesome, if it could somehow be worked into a keyboard and mouse control scheme. Some jRPGs have touched on that and they were damn fun, Star Ocean and Tales of... series comes to mind. Devil May Cry combat was a little too much button mashing though.

ToS would have been fun if it had fighting beyond "use combo, block, use same combo".

MisterStone

Arcane
ghostdog said:

That's all that it took? DAMMIT I never managed to win that game because I couldn't figure out how to beat the wizard guy. *howl*

Raapys

Arcane
Well, the best fighting game ever is actually Severance Blade of Darkness.

ushdugery

Scholar
I'm just pissed we miss out on a mitsoda written rpg one of the best dialogue writers of all time.
EDIT: The best IMO.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
ushdugery said:
I'm just pissed we miss out on a mitsoda written rpg one of the best dialogue writers of all time.
EDIT: The best IMO.

I'm pissed he got taken off of Alpha Protocol, they lost my purchase when I read that.

A user named cat

deuxhero said:
ToS would have been fun if it had fighting beyond "use combo, block, use same combo".
Actually the battle system in ToS was pretty damn great, better than the majority of Japanese and Western RPG systems actually. Your own fault for spamming the same combo and wuss tactic, as I sure as hell didn't. There were plenty of different attacks you could use, not to mention the other characters in your party that could contribute.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tekken? Street Fighter? Real men play only Budokan when it comes to fighting games.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dire Roach said:
Street Fighter III, or at least 3rd Strike since it's the only version of it I've played, was good. You shitballs should be ashamed of yourselves.
3rd Strike is not only good, it's THE best along with KoF XI among fighting games.

Moar superb writing from the

Meditate--article_image.jpg

Phantasmal said:
What I think puts Tekken above the others - especially regarding part 4 - is a sense of flow to the fighting mechanics. If you learn a character in and out, you can work over someone easily even if they try button mashing. The characters have great combos, even without having to be a juggle whore (which is the stupidest thing in fighting games and ruins most of them).
Here's the deal: Most of the characters have a handful of combos and moves you will end up using because of the utterly fucktarded internal balance of the characters. Not to mention the game is so forgiving on command input that it's way wayyyy too easy.

Another flaw is the Namco throw mechanics. Far too strong and useful when compared to most other moves.

Then we have the problem that most characters play basically exactly the same: Various combos of kick-punch-whatever. There are next to no special moves to add depth to the fighting (size of the move list =/= depth) or provide strategy and mind games. The only character who has some of these qualities is Yoshimitsu, except all his un-Tekken "different kick or punch" special moves are made of wank and practically useless.

And it commits the cardinal sin of 3D fighting games: It doesn't use the block button.

PS: I believe we should rather agree that ToS story, dialogue, characters and writing are such abominations that the developers deserve to be hanged from their balls.

A user named cat

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Here's the deal: Most of the characters have a handful of combos and moves you will end up using because of the utterly fucktarded internal balance of the characters. Not to mention the game is so forgiving on command input that it's way wayyyy too easy.
I'm honestly not enough of a fighting game fan to sit and really discuss every little nuance of the mentioned games. I can't stand playing Tekken or any fighting game for a long period of time unless I'm drunk as hell. They all get quite boring, but if I have to play some it'll always be of the 3D variety. I'm surprised people still play SF or KoF, to be honest. Not trying to make a newer=better type of argument, but once 3D fighting games were introduced with Virtua Fighter I never took a second look at those games you still enjoy playing.

PS: I believe we should rather agree that ToS story, dialogue, characters and writing are such abominations that the developers deserve to be hanged from their balls.
I wouldn't agree with calling them abominations, but I'd agree with them being bland and unoriginal. In comparison with most jRPGs, they're just typical. The Tales games have never been very good in those departments, but made up for it with fun battle system mechanics that differed from the everyday turn-based combat.

Vaarna_Aarne

Phantasmal said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I'm honestly not enough of a fighting game fan to sit and really discuss every little nuance of the mentioned games. I can't stand playing Tekken or any fighting game for a long period of time unless I'm drunk as hell. They all get quite boring, but if I have to play some it'll always be of the 3D variety. I'm surprised people still play SF or KoF, to be honest. Not trying to make a newer=better type of argument, but once 3D fighting games were introduced with Virtua Fighter I never took a second look at those games you still enjoy playing.
It's pretty much the first mainstream effect, like what happened with Oblivion.

Tekken 1 was a half-assed game with shallow and bad gameplay and rip-off characters, but it had 3D graphics and the Western hemisphere went "oooooh, shiny" and has failed to understand quality fighting games ever since.

People play 2D fighting games for simply one reason above all: Because the gameplay is so much more interesting and varied than that of the 3D fighting games. The only instances of mind games I've ever seen in 3D fighting games was in MK vs DC.

Also, none of the 3D fighters actually are proper 3D fighting. Only game that attempted that was One Must Fall: Battlegrounds which was lamentably pushed out a YEAR EARLY.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Tekken 1 was a half-assed game with shallow and bad gameplay and rip-off characters, but it had 3D graphics and the Western hemisphere went "oooooh, shiny" and has failed to understand quality fighting games ever since.

People play 2D fighting games for simply one reason above all: Because the gameplay is so much more interesting and varied than that of the 3D fighting games. The only instances of mind games I've ever seen in 3D fighting games was in MK vs DC.

Also, none of the 3D fighters actually are proper 3D fighting. Only game that attempted that was One Must Fall: Battlegrounds which was lamentably pushed out a YEAR EARLY.

Its hardly like Tekken was the Western hemispheres first introduction to fighting games, there were plenty of 2D ones before that, and subsequently the 3D ones are just as popular out east.

I agree that the 3D is largely irrelevant other than making the games look better, and as a result the perspective has no real bearing on the game. There are good 2D fighters and good 3D fighters. A game is not good because its 2D or 3D - that's just blinkered crap.

sabishii

Arbiter
I play fighting games more like fight simulations rather than a game with lists of moves to memorize. So I like the 3D games for the predictability of fluid animations (so I can react appropriately) whereas in 2D games the sprite animation is a lot harder for me to react to without memorization.

Vaarna_Aarne

Imbecile said:
I agree that the 3D is largely irrelevant other than making the games look better, and as a result the perspective has no real bearing on the game. There are good 2D fighters and good 3D fighters. A game is not good because its 2D or 3D - that's just blinkered crap.
Precisely.

The actual problem is that most 3D fighting games go for the inherently shallow and stupid combo system. By changing all moves into a large arsenal of dial-up combos, you eliminate deeper strategy and mind games, as well as causing a severe problem with balancing the character's moveset. That and the ridiculous attempts at realism.

There's a reason why special move centric gameplay is far deeper and provides room for improvisation and the use of actually different characters (ie: Ryu, Angel and Clark Steel), as well as the aforementioned mind games and strategy with the tricksy moves.

The shift of focus to special moves instead of dial-up combos in MK vs DC was one of the reasons that made the game so damn good. It was a teleporter trickster's paradise with characters like Sub-Zero and The Joker.

Vaarna_Aarne

Occasionally Fatal said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:
If it was like Ninja Gaiden....that'd be beyond amazing.

It'll never happen, but fuck yes.
Well, I always imagined that the best action RPG imaginable would be a Promethean game that used heavy amounts of dialogue and morality throws (as much as killing a human enemy in combat), with the combat in Ninja Gaiden style. In a way, a setting with high powered characters would benefit greatly from the high flying style and mechanics of Ninja Gaiden.

The only thing would be to make difficulty something that didn't affect game content (items, c&c and so on) but just the combat and encounters. The only complaint I had about Ninja Gaiden was that it felt so utterly stupid to play the game again with a higher difficulty just to try out a different weapon in the last few levels. They should have kept the Plus mode from the first one. And I learned that they didn't have such a thing AFTER I collected those 50 fucking scarabs that proved ultimately useless because True Dragon Sword was so much better than the stuff I got from them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom