Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

of gender and classes in rpgs

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Thats realistic of course. I like it. Morrowind had it too. I think even the first edition of DnD had something like that

But today that would equal misoguny or some other liberal BS

I believe 1st edition D&D had a cap of 18/50 strength for female humans (exceptional strength) and the other species had some max stat limits for strength in general. As this blog argues, the differences are actually far too small to be realistic, if that was your aim. The game doesn't come close to being a simulation on any front, so you're basically including a rule like that to pay lipservice to the idea of physical differences based on sex, but without truly committing to it. Don't bother with such restrictions.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Do you know any successful woman illusionist?

Just about every one. After applyin an inch thick screed o make up, hair extensions an dye, wonder bras, spanks, high heels, corset, fake tan, false nails, contact lenses, perfumes an probably a bit o plastic surgery, well thats a fuckin pretty good illusion right there innit?

Hyperion

Arcane
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Caliber, and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together before the PSP remake had completely separate classes for males and females. No overlap anywhere, not even starting classes. Ogre Battle made you place 5 characters in a 9x9 square to form a unit. Males were pretty much entirely front line with the exception of Wizards. Women were entirely back row from Archers, to Sorceresses, Witches, and Healers.

Stat growth was determined by a level up in your current class, so females generally had less life, strength, and defense, but with more magic, and magic defense. Agility was up in the air. Archers were clearly faster than a Paladin.

I miss those days a lot.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Didn't Arcanum have different stats if the PC was male or female? Thought it was a nice detail.

Thats realistic of course. I like it. Morrowind had it too. I think even the first edition of DnD had something like that
Until Skyrim eliminated attributes, every Elder Scrolls game had a player-character's starting attributes affected by both sex and race. +M

This can trace its origin to the first edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (not original D&D, where attributes had relatively minor effects) in 1978, though sex only affected maximum strength whereas race carried a few attribute bonuses and penalties in addition to setting maxima and minima for attributes.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
niggas who play female characters in RPGs because they like seeing ass: JOKE
negroid individuals whomst choose to portray thyselves as a character of a more feminine nature in computer role-playing video games to defy the social construct of gender: W O K E

Iznaliu

Arbiter
the fact that i have to play as a "half-orc" instead of an outright nigger to get my +3 STR -27 INT bonus to muh dik shows u how bitchmode video games r.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you"

differences in gender when it comes to character creation

Age being an RPG mechanic and stats changing due to age would be cool too.

Inquisitor? Can you be a woman at all?

Jeff Vogel was talking about how much he loved lesbian romances in DA:I

Should penalize strength but give better reaction from men, unless trying to exert authority. Also women should have it easier with black magicks/demon pact type of stuff since they are already evil by nature.

I think -1 Strength, +1 Dexterity is fair and realistic. If you have women get better reaction from men, you should have vice-versa. By the way, not all men are sex-obsessed maniacs; it is largely society which reinforces the perception that men are sex-obsessed

Rolling for stats

Have both rolling and point-buy options

costing more to resurrect non-humans

Stupid idea; humans=generic is overused. What about a game where there are 10x as many elves compared to humans, therefore elf rezzing is cheaper?

story events being random

Nice to have, but player choice is higher priority (however players should never be able to control everything)

osing your old abilities till you reached a high level in your new class when multiclassing

The best way to handle multiclassing is to have two different methods of multiclassing.

gargoyles having detachable wings

Never heard of this.

mutliclass XP penalties

The best way known to humankind to balance multiclassing.

When white people do bad things, they just happen to be mentally insane.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wizardry has gender locked classes, too. Valkyrie is female exclusive, Lord male exclusive for example.

That does not account for deep roleplaying choices, such as playing a character that was male at birth and got shoehorned into the Lord vocation but then realized that his gender was really just a social construct and decided to transition to Valkyrie. That is the reason why Josh Sawyer said he does not consider Wizardry a real RPG.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Go full progressive with "?" gender
zryr_elminage_2017-05-04_13-39-17-40.jpg

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
OK, let me be serious for a bit and repost this copypasta from TimCain on how they handled the gender thing in Arcanum's character system (by giving female characters -1 STR +1 CON):
As for the history of this decision, we didn't have this in the original game design specifications. We only had the race adjustments. We had hoped that the game would contain a great deal of content that would allow people playing different genders to have different experiences, and we did end up with some. For example, there are quests that have different solutions depending on if you are a man or a woman, and many dialogs take into account gender difference too. But as the game progressed, the difference seemed superficial.

That bothered some of us at Troika. We had wanted every stat to mean something in the game. Otherwise, why have it? If a male human fighter and a female human fighter have the exact same experience in the game, why even have both in the game? It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of art resources to make the gender-specific art animations, which was the main reason we dropped the gnome and halfling females from the game (we had planned from the beginning to not include dwarf or half-ogre females, for story reasons).

So it was during our balance phase that this issue came up. We had already deleted or replaced some skills and spells that were not being used, and to be honest, I was the person who pointed out that the gender stat seemed to do very little in our game other than determine whether the player was called "ma'am" or "sir". True, there were a handful of quests that had different solutions based on gender, but none of them were main-story arc quests, and there were not many of them.

At this point, someone suggested giving stat adjustments to gender, just like we did for race. Our initial reaction was "we can't do that, people won't expect to see that, no other game does that". But the more we thought about it, the more we realized that it fit our philosophy of making every choice matter. Gender should be more than just different art and a different title. Someone playing a male character and a female character should feel a difference between them.

But like all of our other adjustments, we wanted it to be balanced. Neither gender should be better, but we liked the idea of them being different. The first idea was a bonus tied into gender, so depending on which gender you picked, you got a bonus to some stat. But then someone pointed out that we didn't have female choices for four of the races, so you would always get the male bonus. So someone else said "Why not have a balanced adjustment for just females? A plus and a minus, so they are not better or worse but certainly different?". We played around with the idea and several adjustments, and everyone liked the "+1 constitution, -1 strength" adjustments. It especially made sense with the elves, who were matriarchal and stong magic-users. So we added it, along with a background to get rid of it if someone didn't like it.

And some people heard about this change and hated it.

I must admit I don't understand most of the objections. We didn't make one gender better than the other, we just made them different. We didn't pidgeon-hole any gender, since the ultimate potential is the same for both genders. It wasn't a decision made by a bunch of anti-feminist males, as all of the women here liked the idea and a few of the men were hesitant (if only because they were afraid of people misunderstanding the change, not because they didn't like the change itself). We simply made genders different.

Personally, I am offended by games that don't let me choose gender, or that treat different genders as identical, as if there is no difference between them. Difference is NOT a bad thing. Having men and women be the same is as bad as having elves and humans be the same. Elves are NOT pointy-eared humans. Women are NOT men with different art. But because we made them different doesn't mean elves are the race of choice or that women are better characters to play than men. They are just different.

I guess it all boils down to this: Troika wants every choice you make in the game to matter and to affect something. We don't care if the effect is good, bad or neutral, but we want the choice to make the game feel different for the chooser. Gender did not have this effect until we added the stat adjustments.

Hyperion

Arcane
If it's Sawyer we're talking, Resolve is the obvious choice since they always think they're right.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
It should be -1 Strength, +1 Charisma
Anything more than this is a step toward F.A.T.A.L

Men can use their sex appeal towards women much as women can use it towards men.

But men can't use their sex appeal toward other men(unless they are from my attractive boys folder) and most of important NPCs in RPGs are men.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It should be -1 Strength, +1 Charisma
Anything more than this is a step toward F.A.T.A.L

Why +Charisma? Men can use their sex appeal towards women much as women can use it towards men.
Except that is not nearly as useful since it is generally men who are in positions of authority that the player can benefit from.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Iznaliu, Inquisitor, not Inquisition lololololol

I swear it said "Inquisition". My vision is failing. Don't know much about Inquisitor other than "it's a weird Czech RPG"

But men can't use their sex appeal toward other men(unless they are from my attractive boys folder)

Fun fact; not all women are lesbians.

and most of important NPCs in RPGs are men.
Except that is not nearly as useful since it is generally men who are in positions of authority that the player can benefit from.

What about an RPG set in a harem?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom