Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher Officialsky Witcherovda 2 Impressiovna Threadskaia

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
TW2 is better and more of a RPG than Deus Ex. How about that? :smug:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Havoc said:
TW2 is better and more of a RPG than Deus Ex. How about that? :smug:

A shame that overall great presentation is marred by bouts of consolitis and some plot/quest inconsistencies.

curry

Arcane
I'm in Chapter 2 now and to be honest I'm bored. So far the game has been just pointless hack n slash, annoying QTEs and boring "go kill a mob" quests.

Is it going to get better or should I just uninstall now?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Graphics have broken. Again. In the same way.

Feat unlocked: advanced hatred of this game.

EDIT: Rebooting actually put it back to normal. T'would appear this game needs to be started on a 'clean' computer. Or it's just Guild Wars that kills it 'cause it's the only thing I played prior to launching.

Mrowak

Arcane
curry said:
I'm in Chapter 2 now and to be honest I'm bored. So far the game has been just pointless hack n slash, annoying QTEs and boring "go kill a mob" quests.

Is it going to get better or should I just uninstall now?

It won't. If it failed to pull you in till now it will be even less likely in Chapter 2.

Mrowak

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:

I guess after the previous rage bout you uninstalled NVIDIA 3DVision and you updated your GFX with the latest NVIDIA Beta drivers.

Try toying with Texture Memory Size, Shadows, Lights and Anti-Aliasing settings. Especially the first option is responsible for a number of problems. I hear that turning it to minimum helped a lot of people.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mrowak said:
Try toying with Texture Memory Size, Shadows, Lights and Anti-Aliasing settings. Especially the first option is responsible for a number of problems. I hear that turning it to minimum helped a lot of people.

I am trying all those, and nothing really works.

Also, ever since starting Chapter 1, the game has been notoriously freezing with only reboots helping. Fuck this game, I am waiting for fucking patches.

Quilty

Magister
Data4 said:
RK47 said:
Excidium said:
I think the dialog is pretty good. Better than Mass Effect, specially regarding characters animations during conversations.

OK. If this is true, then I feel damn reassured after the eye gouging experience I had to endure in the first Witcher. I was raped both audio and visually by the lackluster emoticons and shit delivery.

Will buy after I'm done walking through shit to export a save.

This trailer for the Troll DLC shows some dialog, and it's pretty typical of what you see in most exchanges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3hB-EkR-I

"Geralt: You have a troll in this forest?

A dude: Aye, he trolls by the river..."

:lol:

Quilty said:
Data4 said:
RK47 said:
Excidium said:
I think the dialog is pretty good. Better than Mass Effect, specially regarding characters animations during conversations.

OK. If this is true, then I feel damn reassured after the eye gouging experience I had to endure in the first Witcher. I was raped both audio and visually by the lackluster emoticons and shit delivery.

This trailer for the Troll DLC shows some dialog, and it's pretty typical of what you see in most exchanges.

In that shitty QTE fighting quest in Chapter 1, there's a fighter called smugface. :smug:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Quilty said:
I wish they'd made the game more like Outcast. Roam around freely, no unnecessary barriers between regions, explore small settlements and larger cities and do some gritty witcher's work no one wants to even touch. Avenging a king? Hunting down assassins? Getting involved in politics? Just give me my sword, a dark and gloomy world to explore and the ability to move freely. Hell, I wish the entire game was like that first chapter from TW1, at least when it comes to the atmosphere and actions that only impact the lives of small communities.

You just described the rpg of my dreams. Been waiting for one for over 20 years now, don't see it happen too soon. :(

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Trash said:
Quilty said:
I wish they'd made the game more like Outcast. Roam around freely, no unnecessary barriers between regions, explore small settlements and larger cities and do some gritty witcher's work no one wants to even touch. Avenging a king? Hunting down assassins? Getting involved in politics? Just give me my sword, a dark and gloomy world to explore and the ability to move freely. Hell, I wish the entire game was like that first chapter from TW1, at least when it comes to the atmosphere and actions that only impact the lives of small communities.

You just described the rpg of my dreams. Been waiting for one for over 20 years now, don't see it happen too soon. :(

Actually, he described what Geralt wants. He doesn't want to mingle in politics, just go and do his thing.

odrzut

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:

EDIT: Rebooting actually put it back to normal. T'would appear this game needs to be started on a 'clean' computer. Or it's just Guild Wars that kills it 'cause it's the only thing I played prior to launching.

I'm programmer, and it's very, very unlikely that game can crash or not depending on programs that were ran before it. Windows has memory protection, so programs cannot use each other memory. It's probably random crash bug (aka dangling pointer) in TW2. On CD Projekt site there is announced path 1.1 that should fix random crashes, sheduled for next week.

I've experienced a few crashes myself today, before it worked flawlessly. Also I had to save and reload game during Malena quest - she freezed instead of going where she should. After saving and reloading she did what she should.

curry

Arcane
odrzut said:
I'm programmer, and it's very, very unlikely that game can crash or not depending on programs that were ran before it. Windows has memory protection, so programs cannot use each other memory. It's probably random crash bug (aka dangling pointer) in TW2. On CD Projekt site there is announced path 1.1 that should fix random crashes, sheduled for next week.

I've seen quite a few 'shop in my day so I can safely tell you to suck a cock, potato.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Havoc said:
Trash said:
Quilty said:

Actually, he described what Geralt wants. He doesn't want to mingle in politics, just go and do his thing.

Precisely. You're supposed to feel awkward about the politics and shit. It's the central point that although Geralt really just want to be a liberal minding his own damn business, that's not the way the world works.

Darth Roxor said:

I see that the curse I placed on you is working as intended. :smug:

That'll learn yah!

Gerrard

Arcane
Finished the game. Damn, third act is really short.

I think I see where they're going with the Wild Hunt plot. Actually I did after the first flashback, but yeah.
Bring on the expansion!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gerrard said:

I think I see where they're going with the Wild Hunt plot. Actually I did after the first flashback, but yeah.
Bring on the expansion!
So, the end is shit, like some reviewers say?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Quilty said:
Data4 said:
RK47 said:
Excidium said:

Ok. Geralt improved. FFS. He passed English oral test.

B-

Will buy after I get a save game ready. In middle of TW1 will post more potato hating impression in another thread. Probably chapter by chapter.

Mrowak

Arcane
J_C said:
Gerrard said:

Bring on the expansion!

I've just finished the game as well.

To answear your question: yes and no.

For 'yes' - as a principal fanboy of Sapkowski's I must say: THEY FUCKED UP THE LORE!!! :x :rage: :decline: God fuck all of you dammit!!! :x There are so many things practically retconned at the end of the game it's a damn mockery. Light spoilers ahead - I'm not revealing the storyline only what agencies were fucked up most

The Lodge, Temeria, The Wild Hunt (poor, poor Wild Hunt :(), they all suck arse now in comparison to what they stood for in the books, hell in the first game!!
Bloody :decline:

For 'no' - if you are outsider, unless you call yourself 1eyedking and loved the follore of TW1/books in English that shouldn't be a biggie. You won't notice the difference.

Also, there is no definite ending. Till the very end you are allowed to make choices. It seems evident that those will have an impact in TW3 or an expansion. The impact is likely to be of greater magnitude than the choices from TW 1. On the flip side, the ending doesn't feel like a grand finale at all. It's more like a middle of the book than anything else. The story breaks off with definite 'to be continued'. I don't mind it myself being tired of epic awesome conclusions in my fantasy, but...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems I will be OK with the ending then. I don't mind if they messed with the lore, or if there is no grand finale. I just want a nice story of Geralt.

DraQ

Arcane
Mrowak said:
J_C said:
Gerrard said:

Bring on the expansion!

I've just finished the game as well.

To answear your question: yes and no.

For 'yes' - as a principal fanboy of Sapkowski's I must say: THEY FUCKED UP THE LORE!!! :x :rage: :decline: God fuck all of you dammit!!! :x There are so many things practically retconned at the end of the game it's a damn mockery. Light spoilers ahead - I'm not revealing the storyline only what agencies were fucked up most

The Wild Hunt (poor, poor Wild Hunt :()
More than in TW1?

How bad is it?
I'm not an ardent fan of the saga (but not an anti-fan either), but I'm somewhat sensitive to lore-rape.

Also, there is no definite ending. Till the very end you are allowed to make choices. It seems evident that those will have an impact in TW3 or an expansion. The impact is likely to be of greater magnitude than the choices from TW 1.
Sounds good, actually.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hamster said:
I just replaced my exe with the one from gog.com and received huge boost to performace and load times. How could they fuck up DRM so badly?

Where did you get it from? Torrent or Piratebay?

I bought the game box in the store. I would like to have some of the goodies that comes with the gog version like the HD wallpapers and artbook but I'm not paying full price for the game again.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mrowak said:
Rage against the lore rape machine...

Why should it bother you so? I would have thought that Geralt being back from the dead in the first place was a bigger problem! That resurrection pretty much makes everything subsequent in the game series as a kind of alternate world. Maybe that's how you should see it?

DraQ said:
I'm somewhat sensitive to lore-rape.

Really? I have it on good authority that something of yours got rigid with delight when Todd announced infinite dragons for the Elder Scrolls world. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom