Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oh noes, everything is shit

Servo

Arcane
I finally realized that this is true. I haven't truly felt the desire to play a video game since I got into PnP. Even the best CRPGs can only emulate the real deal. It all feels so shallow and pointless now. I just wanna PnP. What should I do?

Loriac

Arcane
Try Underrail. Its not PnP, but its a damn good cRPG.

kris

Arcane
I finally realized that this is true. I haven't truly felt the desire to play a video game since I got into PnP. Even the best CRPGs can only emulate the real deal. It all feels so shallow and pointless now. I just wanna PnP. What should I do?

Play PnP.

Servo

Arcane
I've been making my way through CRPG history one game at a time starting with U4, which I completed, but haven't completed any games since. The same thing happens every time: after reading the manual and playing for about an hour, I get what the game's all about and I lose interest. I'm sure these games were pretty revolutionary at the time (in the same way Ocarina of Time blew me away when I was 12), but the revelation is lost on me since we are light years away in terms of technology. New games aren't any better since the industry stagnated in terms of creativity ca. 2000 so anything past that is a waste. I will have to give Underrail a shot but my expectations at this point are abysmal.

What always fascinated me about games (before) was what seemed like the infinite possibilities they contained, but now compared to PnP games video games are kids stuff...

Maybe I'm just a miserable old cunt.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lower your expectations faggot

also, read books instead

Avellion

Erudite
Yes, CRPGs are not on the same level as proper PnP. But the advantage of CRPGs is that you dont need several other friends to play them, and finding someone to play with can be pretty hard depending on where you live.

CRPGs are still fun though, they may suffer from technical limitations, but that doesn't mean they occasionally do a good job at what they are setting out to do.

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
Lower your expectations faggot

You missed the part where I said I have zero expectations anymore. I can't think of the last time I was actually impressed by a video game.

Anyways, what's the point? You lower your expectations, assume that a game will be mediocre at best, spend $20+ on it, sink 20+ hrs into it for what? To realize that you were right in the first place? Who has time for that? Anyone older than 20? (A lot of 20's here...)

Sometimes I feel like I'm just trying to relive my childhood, to recapture that feeling when video games were amazing and magical. Of course they weren't but looking back I have this rose-tinted impression. In MrBTongue's Planescape video he talks about the game that actually exists and the one that exists only in our memories. We love and praise the one that exists in our memories but nothing can replicate that experience, because it was the experience and not the product that we remember. That kind of thing can only happen so many times in a lifetime before you're jaded beyond belief and nothing impresses anymore.

Fuck I'm depressed...

Edit: HAPPY CODEX BDAY TO ME LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME :negative:

Weasel
Luckily you've now been here a year and get access to GD... so you can put all your blogdex shit in there.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Soon the glamor of PnP will fall off and the facade will crumble as you begin to realize how most groups are filled with cretins; never mind the groups where the new guy gets thrown into the center of nerd cronyism. Then you'll become jaded by PnP as well. In the end the only thing that never truly fails us is masturbation.

Servo

Arcane
Soon the glamor of PnP will fall off and the facade will crumble as you begin to realize how most groups are filled with cretins; never mind the groups where the new guy gets thrown into the center of nerd cronyism. Then you'll become jaded by PnP as well. In the end the only thing that never truly fails us is masturbation.

I lol'd so hard I spat coffee everywhere :salute:

tindrli

Arcane
Stop playing pnp. find some pussy and bang her constantly for a month or two. then a Sunday banging time will come and you'll be begging for call of duty not to mention decent crpg. in my case i remember that i suddenly felt an urge to play that Homeworld space.. even managed to finish it

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
In the end, having kids and so building your own party without rerolls and ironman it all the way is the ultimate doom adventure. Dual DMing is quite the pain sometimes though.

mondblut

Arcane
But the advantage of CRPGs is that you dont need several other friends to play them, and we happen not to have any.

Corrected.

Also, in p&p you can't exploit and rape the system. Well, you can, but in best case, you won't be invited to play again. Fuck friends, fuck p&p, where is my quickload button?

mondblut

Arcane

Servo

Arcane

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You're not helping my depression.

e1babbbf629bd41e5e042d2b1a24b39ee9b3ae4fb5b3d4c5a80d70dc8ea4efdf.jpg

Servo

Arcane
I felt like this the first time I played PnP. Just remember that cRPGs are a totally different deal than PnP with totally different strengths.

Do elaborate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom