Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Okay, Medieval 2 mods

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I'm feeling pretty burned out on Rome at the moment, and I don't want to figure out what's missing from my torrent of Empire, so that leaves Medieval 2 mods. So, which ones are worth a look? If Dominion of the Sword was already out I'd just go straight to that, but it's not, so it appears I have a lot of options. I guess what I'm looking for the most is a grand campaign total conversion, but I'll also be interested in smaller campaigns, or fantasy conversions like the Third Age. As far as the Grand Campaign mods go it seems the big three are Stainless Steel, Deus Lo Vult, and Chivalry 2. Any others I should be aware of?

Anyway, feel free to list any mods you think are worth a shot.

Shannow

Waster of Time
it ripped a bunch of data straight out of Mark of Chaos
Ah, that explains some of the shittiness.
CoW is unbalanced, has no free grand campaign and UI and music are very hit and miss. But the models are good.

Third Age feels very proffessional and is generally quite good. It sadly also suffers from bad balancing a little.

SS 6.4 is out, runs quite well, very few bugs, generally good balancing apart from ranged units, well done world map (could still be better). Those are totally messed up, but some sub-mods fix that. Suffers alot from "We want to make it realistic!". E.g. mongol composite bows had gread range, comparable to longbows. But because their tactics consisted of riding near their enemies, shooting and the retreating the modder(s) decided to give them a range of 70 whereas longbows would have something around 240 and some lithuanian horse archers would get 320 or something... But as I said, most of that is fixed by sub-mods. Turn-time is fucked up as Ed said.

If you're not jaded of the vanilla game, I'd simply suggest this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192625 adds regions, units and factions. I played it a few years back, so I'm not on top of what else they changed. But I'm not too impressed with SS 6.4 at the moment, so I'll give KGCM a spin myself...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's outdated now but was used as a basis for the AI in many other mods. Not that anyone ever managed to totally fix the retarded AI, they could just tinker around with parameters and such.

SS was probably the best and most polished mod around. Third Age is a good second. Never tried Broken Crescent but many speak highly of it. Deus Lo Vult apparantly turns MTWII in a larping sim but is very popular nonetheless. Even if it is buggy.

Personally I would go for SS. It's fun untill you start to figure out exactly how the AI works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom