Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Omega Syndrome queries answered

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Omega Syndrome

For those looking for a little more info about <A href="http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/">Omega Syndrome</a>, <b>David Moffatt</b>, the man behind the game has <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=108">answered several questions</a> about the game and the background behind it. Here's a snippet:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><I>7.) You've recently decided that Omega Syndrome would be better turn based. Can you tell us why you decided to switch to turn based? How many people requested the change? How does it make the game better, in your opinion?
<br>
</I>
<br>
I've had a strong feeling since its release that Omega Syndrome would be a far better game with turn based combat. Since January I’ve been working to make Omega Syndrome’s control system easy to learn and use. I've had countless people test it over 8 months including friends, relatives and complete strangers and I noticed that the less experienced players found the combat in Omega Syndrome too difficult and were not enjoying the experience. I also noticed that players were more likely to favor ranged weapons in real time mode and this made the combat boring and repetitive. So I decided to write turn-based code for Omega Syndrome and as soon as I tested the first rough version, I knew I had made the right decision. With turn based combat the player can take their time and think about their next move. They also have more options in turn-based mode and can be creative and really mix things up. In one turn the player can break cover, shoot an enemy and then take cover again. Or they can shoot at an enemy and then movecloser to them and stab them. Or they can attack once and end their turn and convert their remaining action points to an armour class bonus. The possibilities turn-based combat offers are endless.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Hey, it's what made me look twice at the game.
<br>

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Still, it does not answer one question yet - why the game features non-transparent and meantime non-rectengular HUD/interface? Look into this screenshot -
http://www.rpgcodex.com/screenshot.php?file=omegasyndrome/demo005.jpg
its black rectangle with picture o_O. Its real mistery why the guy was able to create so advanced engine but still use non-transparent and not-rectengular style interface bar. Of course it helps reduce redraw area and increeases the perfomance, but why not adjust the style of HUD then?[I know I am repeating but still no answers.]

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Has anyone actually played this, and if so is it any good?
It is very good, one of the better games I've played in recent years. It just needs less combat-oriented play and it could be much better than the geneforge games.

Edit: Wow, nvm. I didn't know how old this news was. Thought it was fairly new, my bad. Please don't rape me.

Fez

Erudite
The rape was inevitable anyway. You'll secretly enjoy it, just like in Japanese stories.

Spazmo

Erudite
Digging up old threads is okay as long as your post is worthwhile.

Yours, however, is COMPLETE CRAP. Accordingly, Fez will now rape you.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Yours, however, is COMPLETE CRAP. Accordingly, Fez will now rape you.
Silly! That's a reward, not a punishment!

Get her into an od of black tar heroin, then when she passes out just call the local preach', have her rebaptized as catholic and marry her. If she has memory issues, I'm sure she won't mind.

Fez

Erudite
I dream of such a thing happening with you Spazmo, bring it on, I have all the KY jelly we will need. <3

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Still, it does not answer one question yet - why the game features non-transparent and meantime non-rectengular HUD/interface? Look into this screenshot -
http://www.rpgcodex.com/screenshot.php? ... emo005.jpg
its black rectangle with picture o_O. Its real mistery why the guy was able to create so advanced engine but still use non-transparent and not-rectengular style interface bar. Of course it helps reduce redraw area and increeases the perfomance, but why not adjust the style of HUD then?[I know I am repeating but still no answers.]

Hey Kamaz I just saw your comment a year after you posted it and I decided to fix the HUD just for you. ;)

Check the News Section http://www.ausgamedev.com/news_map_001.html and see the 2ND MAY 2005 link for details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom