Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

B
Escalate measures to C if he resists
This. We can move from B to C easily if the nice approach doesn't work.

Also, fuck the Choice and the religion, all that leads to is stagnation and death if our limited food sources fail for whatever reason. As Collage said, we either find more food here or move to the surface - there is no other way to survive.

ScubaV

Prophet
B

I do find the collar-grabbing option to be rather enticing, but it risks destabilizing our society which I don't think is wise at this point, especially with almost all our soldiers outside the city.

Vernydar

Learned
B

I have decided to go for B for now. We're always in time to torture them to death later. But at the smallest sign of deceit, they will feel our wrath. One wielder of fire was enough, thank you very much

oscar

Arcane
B. We need to keep our people unified and focused so let's not go Shepard on his ass.

Monty

Arcane
Yes, let's start with B.

Hopefully the 'Choice' won't be an issue for a while. After all, given our current choice of action, we're either going to find new caves or a way to the surface - or lose lots of men in a futile attempt to do so. So we'll either have more resources or fewer people to feed.

GameOver

Educated
B. We shouldn't openly refute the temple, but wear it down over time. If we are going to survive in the caves we must innovate. This means expanding, finding other sources of food or breaching the surface. I admit the religious laws have served us well, but to grow as a people we must move forward.

My thoughts exactly. Nice LP here!

Internet

Scholar
So I go on vacation for a few days and when I come back I find out that you guys opted for a grimdark dwarf-fortressy civilization where the only resources are fish, stone and metal (what do these guys wear anyway?) with a religion based on consential suicide.
Yeah for the step forward towards trade, polytheism and interesting cultural advancements after the death of the primitive Obsidian Embers.

Anyway,

B

Anabanana

Augur
Finally all caught up! I must say that people have made some hilariously horrible choices over the course of the LP. Thanks for the entertainment, everybody. :love:

As for the priest, B for now with a move to C if he doesn't talk.

Curufinwe

Learned
(Almost) unanimous decision for B. Let's see if the priest will be so kind as to spill the beans.

An amicable conversation.

"And so the head priest, seeing the disappointment in the eyes of his young king, felt shame. Shame at his subterfuge, shame at the subterfuge of his predecessor, and he broke down crying...."

(From 'Life and Deeds of King Saras the First')

The king nodded. The head priest wasn't a good liar. He was obviously hiding something, but just the right amount of pressure, Saras though, would be enough to make him talk. From past dealings with the man Saras knew he wasn't dealing with a paragon of courage.

The young king moved to a cupboard and took out two stone cups. He filled them with mushroom liquor. He brought a cup to the head priest and motioned for him to sit on a chair: "Here, have a seat and a drink."

As for himself, he stood, immobile, holding his cup without taking even a sip. He waited a few seconds, until the priest had taken a long draught and started to seem more comfortable.

The king spoke: "So. My faithful advisor, my head priest... why are you lying to me?"

The head priest choked on his liquor and started coughing. The young king, an expression of concern on his face, approached and gave a few amicable slaps on the priest's back.
The fit of coughing continued for a few seconds, until the priest took a deep breath: "My... king?"

Saras smiled: "Jordian – that was the high priest's name – I have known you my whole life. I can see right through you. You are holding something back – Saras held his hand up – no, don't speak. You are not in trouble... yet. You still have time to tell me what I want to know."
"My king, I... I don't know what you're talking about!" Jordian protested, too vehemently.
Saras smiled again: "Don't you now? Think carefully, my faithful subject – the tone was growing almost mocking now – you are starting to annoy me..."
The head priest gulped, emptying his cup in one long drink.
Saras approached and held out the stone bottle: "More liquor?" then he poured without waiting for an answer.
Saras sighed: "Again, one last time before I grow angry. Anything else you want to add? Where have you seen that kind of writing before?"
Jordian shook his head, sweating profusely: "I swear, king Saras, you are mistaken. As I said, it is the first time..."
Saras slapped the palm of his hand on the table, loudly: "Enough with the lies! My patience is growing thin! Where. Have. You. Seen. That. Writing!"
Jordian's face drained of all color: "My king... please... I can't..."
Saras moved his face inches from the priest's: "You can't. I see. - he moved to a stone shelf, where his crown was resting. He took it, holding it in front of Jordian's face – Do you see this? Do you remember what this is? - he put it on the table, carefully – I am still speaking without wearing it on my head. I still haven't given you a royal order. Do not force me to do that. You know what the consequences would be..."
The priest took another long draught from his cup: "Please, Saras... I have been your advisor since you ascended to the throne... and your father's before that. Please, I can't... it is nothing important, I swear..."
King Saras sat on the table, growling: "Nothing important? Nothing important? Do you take me for a fool, Jordian? Would you lie to me about 'nothing important'? Damn you. Before this really turns ugly, speak!"
Jordian gulped down some more liquor, spilling most of it on his robe: "Yes... yes. I have seen something like that. It is true. But it's nothing that concerns the crown!"
King Saras narrowed his eyes: "There is NOTHING that doesn't concern the crown happening in these caves. What is it?"
The high priest took a deep breath: "Very well. I will speak, out of the respect I have for you and your father before you."

"I have seen that kind of writing in one of the oldest books in the Temple's posession. The former high priest, may he rest in peace, took me to the oldest part of the library the day after he named me his successor. He moved a brick from the walls, and inside, covered in dust, was a bundle of papers...."

"Jordian, he said, read these papers. Then put them back here and forget they are there. You will take them out only when you name your own successor. All the high priests before me did the same. It speaks of the origin of our nation. The secrets within must never be revealed, lest they ruin our way of life..."

The high priest continued: "I have read the book and, as my predecessor said, put it back in its place and never looked at it again. I assure you, my king, the secrets within are of no concern to us in our current situation."
King Saras frowned: "Alright. Take me to the book, now."
Jordian paled again: "I beg you, my king! Please reconsider! Trust me in this, what is written in those books is of no use to us!"

Saras stood silent, for a few long seconds, then:

A. He said: "I cannot trust you on this after you lied to me, priest. Take me to the book now, or I swear, I will dismantle the Temple stone by stone until I find them myself!"
B. He sighed: "Very well. I will trust you. The matter is dropped. But Jordian... do not ever, ever lie to me again. Next time, you will face my wrath."

Vernydar

Learned
A

Why would we trust this guy anyway? There will be consequences, but knowledge is power. We HAVE to know how our nation was created. Besides, maybe the priest is not lying, and he thinks what is inside is useless to us. But he might be wrong. What he considers useless might be important, maybe later on.

I think this is worth angering a priest.

And besides, our "way of life" plainly suck. It is one of stagnation, of stable, never increasing population. Let's face it, we either want to leave these caves, or at least to expand powerfully.

m4davis

Scholar
B. as nice as a origin story sounds it really isn't important and we already know he's a bad liar and he showed no signs of lying

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A

It might not be important now but someday it will.

Curufinwe

Learned
So I go on vacation for a few days and when I come back I find out that you guys opted for a grimdark dwarf-fortressy civilization where the only resources are fish, stone and metal (what do these guys wear anyway?) with a religion based on consential suicide.
Yeah for the step forward towards trade, polytheism and interesting cultural advancements after the death of the primitive Obsidian Embers.

Anyway,

B

The glowing lichen. They make textiles out of it. I did mention it in an update, I'm pretty sure. If it doesn't make a lick of sense, put it down as Science!!! :D

ScubaV

Prophet
A

Why would we trust this guy anyway? There will be consequences, but knowledge is power. We HAVE to know how our nation was created. Besides, maybe the priest is not lying, and he thinks what is inside is useless to us. But he might be wrong. What he considers useless might be important, maybe later on.

I think this is worth angering a priest.

And besides, our "way of life" plainly suck. It is one of stagnation, of stable, never increasing population. Let's face it, we either want to leave these caves, or at least to expand powerfully.

oscar

Arcane
A. May as well. Besides it seems that in the long-run our existence is unsustainable and something drastic needs to be done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom