Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oni

Korgan

Arbiter
It's a half-decent beat-em-up, but only if you're willing to ignore everything except combat. The fighting's satisfying, all the other aspects are HORRIBLE. The story presentation, the level design, the (absent) art direction, etc. There's also the matter of them somehow losing ALL the style while ripping off Ghost in The Shell. Bland. Console. Crap.

Andhaira

Arcane
It was a fun game. I liked that they stressed unarmed combat, but they didn't make it deep enough. There should have been different martial arts styles.

But you're a weeaboo faggot. You should fucking love it. Also make a wallpaper with the chick and eat your dinners as you stare at it.

Trithne

Erudite
The fucking checkpoint system. With the insta-death jumping puzzles. Mis-jump and you go back a fucking hour of playtime.

Devadatta

Novice
Korgan said:
the level design
They actually got some architects to design the levels, unfortunately real-world layouts apparently don't translate to good gaming environments, far too much open space and tediousness.

Trithne said:
The fucking checkpoint system. With the insta-death jumping puzzles. Mis-jump and you go back a fucking hour of playtime.

I hate that shit. You hate that shit. Most people here hate that shit. But we aren't the target market. I can see why 'hardcore' console fighting/platformer fans would insist on that, for the very same reasons we hate Bioshock's regen system - it means that in the age of infinite lives, death still packs a punch. For gamers seeking a post-arcade challenge, that's pretty vital for that type of game. Otherwise there's no skill, just keep on trying until you fluke it.

Asking console platformers to have sensible save systems is like level-scaling in an rpg. Makes it accessible for people who aren't actually fans of the genre, but screws the folk who love that genre to death and want to be challenged.

I used to feel the same way about the absurd difficulty and numbers required for endgame mmorpg raiding - i.e. what the hell would motivate developers to shut off the most complex content to anyone with a healthy life? But then I started to compare it to how pissed off I was at rpgs being dumbed down for shooter crowds, and realised that in the mmorpg world I was the problem. If I want rpgs to continue to cater to the hardcore, then I can't complain about the other genres that still care about their's.

Texas Red

Whiner
AndhairaX said:
It was a fun game. I liked that they stressed unarmed combat, but they didn't make it deep enough. There should have been different martial arts styles.

I remember that cheats enabled you to play with any enemy and all of them had a unique style.

Hory

Erudite
Korgan said:
There's also the matter of them somehow losing ALL the style while ripping off Ghost in The Shell.
Which is, incidentally, the main reason for you having played it.

Korgan

Arbiter
Hory said:
Korgan said:
There's also the matter of them somehow losing ALL the style while ripping off Ghost in The Shell.
Which is, incidentally, the main reason for you having played it.
Nope, I knew how lame the game would feel after looking at the screenshots. I was just hoping to kick some butt. Well, I got that, but hardly in the best way possible.

Trithne

Erudite
Yeah, it was pretty damn bland. There were a few attempts at anime-inspired games around then, and they all had that problem. (Shogo comes immediately to mind) Mostly because artwork and lurid hair colours does not anime make.

Asking console platformers to have sensible save systems is like level-scaling in an rpg. Makes it accessible for people who aren't actually fans of the genre, but screws the folk who love that genre to death and want to be challenged.
Honestly, I was fine with the system, except when there was a fucking insta-death jumping puzzle. That shit is just fucking obscene. Which is to say, if they'd put a checkpoint closer to it, and not half the level back, it would've been just great. Some of those levels were stupid long, with maybe 4 checkpoints in the whole thing.

Panthera

Scholar
I thought the fighting was really well done, especially with how it incorporated gunfighting with the close combat and gracefully switched between the two.

Oh, and the music was great.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Azrael the cat said:
By the way, am I the only one getting a 'What the fuck have you just done' message every time I post?

What the fuck have you just done ?!

Derek Larp

Cipher
I remember this game to be really fucking frustrating in later levels. Think I only played through it once.

But the game had some real moments of awesome emerging from gameplay, like fighting against several people, roll on the floor to grab a nearby submachinegun, empty the clip in two of the fuckers and throw the last one off a cliff with a grapple. :twisted:

J1M

Arcane
So Oni was too hard for half of the codex? Sounds like they got the difficulty just right.

This game was amazing because of the gameplay. For an action game, that is what matters. I can't think of another game that has done the mix of melee and gunplay as right as Bungie got it in Oni.

The weapon and ammo systems made you care about which weapons you had and the ammo you were carrying. The melee combat was also very well done and had multiple levels of mastery.

If the game was too hard for you, that's ok. Not everyone is supposed to be able to finish every game. Last I checked, that's pretty much a fundamental tenant around here. (But I'm sure you could finish it on easy if you could get over the ego issue of selecting that difficulty...) Personally, I enjoyed the challenge of it and the fluidity once you got good at it.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
It was just overhyped like a motherfucker. Solid game, but nothing spectacular at all and a few hang-ups to boot.

J1M said:
This game was amazing because of the gameplay. For an action game, that is what matters. I can't think of another game that has done the mix of melee and gunplay as right as Bungie got it in Oni.

Hmmm....it's a PS2 game right? Might look into it. If it isn't better than DMC I'm going devil trigger on your ass and doing a Stinger into a buffered Real Impact. Codex led me to God Hand....so is Oni that high caliber of an action game?

However...female protagonists never bode well....

Double Ogre

Scholar
It's a bland and dull pseudo-anime style game with mediocre gameplay.

However, there weren't many third person beat 'em ups on the PC at the time, so the game got a small cult following.

There's absolutely no reason to play it now.

Korgan

Arbiter
Edward_R_Murrow said:
J1M said:

Hmmm....it's a PS2 game right? Might look into it. If it isn't better than DMC I'm going devil trigger on your ass and doing a Gunstinger into a buffered Real Impact. Codex led me to God Hand....so is Oni that high caliber of an action game?
No it isn't. The fighting's rather good, but has nothing on DMC, and it's also shit in every other regard. Not really recommended at all.
Also, it looks like a PS1 game, despite having been developed for PS2 and PC. Nuff said.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
J1M said:

Hmmm....it's a PS2 game right? Might look into it. If it isn't better than DMC I'm going devil trigger on your ass and doing a Stinger into a buffered Real Impact. Codex led me to God Hand....so is Oni that high caliber of an action game?

However...female protagonists never bode well....
I own both, for PS2 and PC. Get the PC one, it plays a lot better with a mouse.

Trithne

Erudite
Was Oni too hard? No. It was deliciously hard. There's a difference between hard and shitty level/savesystem design.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Codex led me to God Hand....so is Oni that high caliber of an action game?
No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom