Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OnLive is sooooooooo awsum

Suchy

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Kingston said:
There's a difference here. This shit requires a subscription fee! Do you think you'll find 25 million people who will pay 15 dollars a month to play rented games?
Sure, why not? I pay full price for a game which is $80 AUD ($50 USD). I play it for maybe a week or two and I've finished it. Uninstall, box goes on my shelf.

If I ever want to play it again, I have to re-install, download all the patches - oh and hope it still works on my PC by then and isn't out-of-date.

If instead, all I paid was $15 USD a month and that gave me access to a bunch of games, I'm ahead by a mile. I can play that latest game, if it sucks, I don't have to worry about it again or I can finish it and not worry about uninstalling it to free up some HDD. I can play it again 3 months later if I want without any re-installation. And all I've paid is my $15 a month.

And much like Steam, this is any computer, anywhere in the world. Only without the massive up-front download and Steam's constant "Oh, so you want to play do you? WELL STEAM WANTS TO UPDATE FIRST BITCH SO SUCK IT".
First you'll have to deal with 150+ ms pings between Australia and Kwa.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And much like Steam, this is any computer, anywhere in the world.

Umm, no. If this will actually work then they'll need to have servers everywhere in the world so you can play on "any computer, anywhere in the world". Don't expect to play it with your connection in Australia from a server in USA.

FeelTheRads said:

Umm, no. If this will actually work then they'll need to have servers everywhere in the world so you can play on "any computer, anywhere in the world". Don't expect to play it with your connection in Australia from a server in USA.

Don't even expect to play it in more then 25% of the USA land area. Too far from major data centers and/or too low quality connection to support it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
According to ToS, Onlive does not support games beyond 3 years. So if you were worried about Onlive taking away your games when you close your account or they go down, don't worry. They flat out tell you from the beginning that any game you buy is simply rented for 3 years.

Well, while that is pretty amusing and in direct contradiction to what Xi, our resident advertising plant, is saying keep in mind that this probably doesn't matter for their target consumers which think it's something socially retarded to play a game older than a year.

Silellak

Cipher
While I lean more toward the "OnLive is a piece of shit" faction, skyway's conspiracy theories never cease to amuse me.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
FeelTheRads said:
Well, that's why I think they're about 20 years too early.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
While I lean more toward the "OnLive is a piece of shit" faction, skyway's conspiracy theories never cease to amuse me.

$5 to use something that will cost them thousands of dollars every month? And you actually believe OnLive exists and there is no catch?
Free cheese is only in the mouse trap, bro.

Achilles

Arcane
Wow, that thing about not supporting games beyond 3 years is really scaring me.

Silellak

Cipher
Alexandros said:
Wow, that thing about not supporting games beyond 3 years is really scaring me.
Not as scary as this gem, from the TOS:
Suspending Your Account

You may suspend (i.e. temporarily deactivate) your Account at any time, for any or no reason, for up to twelve (12) months by contacting OnLive Customer Service from the Support section of the OnLive website.
Followed by:
Closing Your Account

CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT LOSS OF ACCESS, CONTENT, SERVICES AND VALUE ON THE ONLIVE SERVICE. ONLIVE URGES YOU TO CONSIDER SUSPENDING YOUR ACCOUNT, PER THE “SUSPENDING YOUR ACCOUNT” SECTION ABOVE. RATHER THAN CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT, PLEASE READ THIS “CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT” SECTION CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH CLOSURE.
That's right, motherfucker. Suspend your account for 12 months? Closed. Close your account? Say goodbye to anything you've purchased on the service.

:thumbsup:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also they can probably close your account for any reason at any time. Fuckers. I can't believe anyone bought into this crap.

Xor said:
Also they can probably close your account for any reason at any time. Fuckers. I can't believe anyone bought into this crap.

Troll Onlive users by using free accounts and reporting everyone you see who uses naughty words. :lol:

Despite the drawbacks, I can see myself using this for purely demos. Keep making new accounts that operate under the free time limit, stream every nextgen consoletard game demo instantly, if one happens to be decent I'll buy it outside of Onlive. Cost to me: $0, and its a bit quicker then actually downloading and installing crap. Its still nothing you would want to actually PLAY the games under, due to crappy input lag and horrible graphics downgrading.

Monocause

Arcane
Guise, check this out:

http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?t=3276

someguy said:
Not an impressive night for me onlive at ALL! First and foremost my biggest concern is the servers are struggling tongiht with E3 viewers and testers I assume but the service is Really laging all over the place in menu, games to the point its not playable..

QED, I guess. The system struggles when a relatively small traffic hits. But yeah, this is just a beta, sure. They struggle with a couple of hundred users but it surely will be a piece of cake to get it running well for thousands of them.

According to the forums, the cost of Crysis through Onlive is $50.

For comparison:

Crysis is $30 on steam. $15 on Amazon.

Crysis Maximum edition (include Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Crysis Wars): $40 on steam. $37 on Amazon.

Its almost like you are paying extra money to have them buy crappy hardware that can hardly run medium settings at low resolution, ontop of having rampant compression artifacts and input lag. You also can't play MW: Living Legends on your Onlive Crysis game, which is approximately 40% of the reason someone would be buying Crysis in the first place

Xi

Arcane
Monocause said:
Guise, check this out:

someguy said:
Not an impressive night for me onlive at ALL! First and foremost my biggest concern is the servers are struggling tongiht with E3 viewers and testers I assume but the service is Really laging all over the place in menu, games to the point its not playable..

QED, I guess. The system struggles when a relatively small traffic hits. But yeah, this is just a beta, sure. They struggle with a couple of hundred users but it surely will be a piece of cake to get it running well for thousands of them.

They are working out the kinks. It's brand new. Think of all the MMO troubles when they launch for fuck's sake.

Part 1:(Menus and explanation)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dorfdad

Part 2:(Gameplay)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cokWy-NOaAo

Also, keep in mind there is some slight frame drop from his capture.

Silellak

Cipher
Xi said:
Monocause said:
Guise, check this out:

someguy said:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dorfdad

They are working out the kinks. lol
Yes, I am sure it will only take a few weeks months years to get everything running acceptably with a 99.9% uptime.

So what do you think of their suspend/closure policy, Xi?

Xi

Arcane
Silellak said:

It's a pitfall for sure, and it's partially why I think you will see the price of games on this system drop. Still, it's not too bad. Activate for 1 month a year. If the service is worth a damn, you'd probably be using it regularly anyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's a pitfall for sure, and it's partially why I think you will see the price of games on this system drop

:lol:

Xi you didn't answer - where will they get all the needed millions of dollars to run all this with $5/mo subscriptions?

Silellak

Cipher
Xi said:
Silellak said:

It's a pitfall for sure, and it's partially why I think you will see the price of games on this system drop. Still, it's not too bad. Activate for 1 month a year. If the service is worth a damn, you'd probably be using it regularly anyway.
How is it reasonable or justifiable to strip away every game someone's purchased just because they close their account?

This means OnLive will always be nothing more than a glorified rental service. You don't even get the illusion of owning what you've purchased.

I mean, it's bad enough that you lose the games if OnLive goes out of business - a perfectly reasonable possibility, given that they're the first "out of the gate" with this tech and, arguably, 5-10 years early. But it's even worse that they'll take the games from you if you have the nerve to not pay them at least once a year.

Xi

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
It's a pitfall for sure, and it's partially why I think you will see the price of games on this system drop

Xi you didn't answer - where will they get all the needed millions of dollars to run all this with $5/mo subscriptions?

I don't know what their business model is, but I suspect it is profitable or you wouldn't have seen all of the investments by the likes of Time Warner, AT&T, etc. Also, if it didn't seem plausible none of the publishers would have ported games to the system. As it stands there are 23 games with another 30 on there way.

This questions revolves around your complete lack of understanding of server tech and operation costs. Not to mention, Onlive gets both $15 a month(after the initial free wave) and a cut of each game sale. Also, they get a piece of all rentals, and they plan to release movies for streaming over the service. There's a boatload of money in this.

Also, they are going to Europe with this next year. Steam has how many paying customers? Even if Onlive gets a fraction of what steam has they will make a killing. Also, we are talking about a new customer base the currently does not exist. Just like the MMO rage, initially no one knew how many people would be interested, but now we see that there are at least a 100 million MMO players world wide(if not more). I don't think onlive will struggle to get a few million subscribers. They had almost a million beta applications if that means anything. ;P

Kraszu

Prophet
Xi said:
MetalCraze said:

I don't know what their business model is, but I suspect it is profitable or you wouldn't have seen all of the investments by the likes of Time Warner, AT&T, etc. Also, if it didn't seem plausible none of the publishers would have ported games to the system. As it stands there are 23 games with another 30 on there way.

This questions revolves around your complete lack of understanding of server tech and operation costs. Not to mention, Onlive gets both $15 a month(after the initial free wave) and a cut of each game sale. Also, they get a piece of all rentals, and they plan to release movies for streaming over the service. There's a boatload of money in this.

So what it is 5, 10 or 15? You throw all those numbers now. Also can they change they pricing later? What if they had increased the price to 20? You either pay it or you loose all of your games.

Xi said:
I don't know what their business model is, but I suspect it is profitable or you wouldn't have seen all of the investments by the likes of Time Warner, AT&T, etc.

I think, you are new to the business world.

Micmu

Magister
So. The service, as they are offering now is way, way inferior to any existing one (like owning a console and physical copies of the game), both technically and economically for the customer.
Great success right there!

Xi

Arcane
Kraszu said:
So what it is 5, 10 or 15? You throw all those numbers now. Also can they change they pricing later? What if they had increased the price to 20? You either pay it or you loose all of your games.

It's free for the first year and then $5 for the next year, but only if you sign up from June 15 to July 15. After that it's $15 a month for everyone else. Also, after the second year, the price increases to $15 a month.

Black Bart Charley said:
I think, you are new to the business world.

According to who, some dumbfuck on the internet? Please.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom