Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open world hack and slash games?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not saying PoE is perfect, I stopped playing it a while ago, but give me a better alternative. D3? Torchlight 2? I laugh in your face!
Man, when you have Torchlight 2 and D3 as competion that speaks volumes of the quality of PoE.
It's shit.:troll:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
It's shit.

Meh, why not, challenge accepted.

PoE is the best Diablo 2 clone there is, period. Would you look at that, a no-name indie team made a better game than any other gaming studio could in 14 years, even the multi-billion Blizzard themselves.

Holy shit, and they did it WITHOUT jewing their vapourware on Kickstarter and begging people to pay for unplayable early access pre-alpha version. And it's free to play? Man, fuck this shit, I better go throw more money at the so called "incline of the year 20XX" games.

"B-but the game skill system is overly complicated, it doesn't have graphics as pretty and animations as fluid as D3, it can lag sometimes, they nerfed my broken cheese build and I got tired of it after only 3 months."

4286-kill-yourself.jpg

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
The original Zelda game on the NES is open, quick and pretty fucking good.

Or, if you already played it, you may try some Zelda Classic quests, they're all the same.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's shit.

Meh, why not, challenge accepted.

PoE is the best Diablo 2 clone there is, period. Would you look at that, a no-name indie team made a better game than any other gaming studio could in 14 years, even the multi-billion Blizzard themselves.

Holy shit, and they did it WITHOUT jewing their vapourware on Kickstarter and begging people to pay for unplayable early access pre-alpha version. And it's free to play? Man, fuck this shit, I better go throw more money at the so called "incline of the year 20XX" games.

"B-but the game skill system is overly complicated, it doesn't have graphics as pretty and animations as fluid as D3, it can lag sometimes, they nerfed my broken cheese build and I got tired of it after only 3 months."

4286-kill-yourself.jpg
Well, this could boil down to a difference of opinion but when I last played Path of Exile, I made a Marauder. He had a two handed maul, and I made almost 200 damage each hit with hard strike(without any decent weapon). Most of it was physical and the rest was fire damage. I was one clicking most of things and as I invested a lot in life, I was pratically immortal. Well, after a certain point, I thought: Hey, why I'm wasting time with this terrible slog? The maps are boring, the aesthetics is generic, the enemies aren't all that interesting to fight, the story is lacking and I have to play it two times before it starts getting really challenging. It feels more like an expansion to Diablo II, a game that was released a fucking tons of years ago.

Well, I will wait for a Diablo clone that is a little more ambitious and isn't only satisfied in aping Diablo II and just be a loot treadmill. You can get a similar gameplay to Path of Exile and others, if you make a program with a button called "click on me for loot" and an excel spreadsheet called "awesome build"on it. You click a lot in the button and after 500.000 clicks you get an item, when you get the item you look on your spreadsheet where your build is and see if it improves it or not, if not, you delete the item and continue clicking on the button. Well, you could say I don't want a Diablo clone, then, yeah... I want a good game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, you could say I don't want a Diablo clone, then, yeah... I want a good game.
Actually, I'd say that I want to punch you in the face for saying "Diablo clone" when you specifically mean "Diablo II clone".
My mistake, Diablo is still a good game, at least, Blizzard North put some effort in it before deciding to make Diablo II a prototype for WoW.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Sacred 2 was OK until I got tired of the insanely fast respawn rates.

Path of Exile is OK, but there really is no variety in maps.

Torchlight 2 is OK, but the skills are bland.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is there anything like this out there? What I mean is something along the line of diablo but without the linear progression through specific levels or story acts. I've played a few console games that more or less fit the bill for this (super hydrlide and record of lodoss war in particular), but they seem incredibly rare and I enjoy them alot; just roaming around murdering shit (or getting murdered if I wander into the wrong place) and finding loot and new places to explore.

What about Shining Force Neo and Shining Force Exa, both for PS2, both from Neverland (same developer as that Record of Lodoss War game).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've played through both of those twice. If I were going to go that route I'd dig out my Dreamcast to play Record of Lodoss War again. But it's buried in a garage since it never gets used for anything.

Gregz

Arcane
I've played through both of those twice. If I were going to go that route I'd dig out my Dreamcast to play Record of Lodoss War again. But it's buried in a garage since it never gets used for anything.

Well, it seems the best answer to this thread is:

NullDC Dreamcast emulator + Record of Lodoss War

Especially for those of us who have not yet played RoLW.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
CDs with integrated redbook audio were often used in the dark ages of sony cd tech. Syndicate wars for instance, has its cd playable on a cd music player, despite being, you know, a game too. A right pain it is for some dos games in dosbox too.

There was also lots of fuckery going on with standards and copy protections. Betrayal in Antara third CD for instance, isn't actually openable for anything besides a old cd player and microsoft explorer, so i had to recreate the fucking cd by copypasting the contents and making a new cd to make a iso to mount on demontools. King of the dragon pass CD has a mac version on a part of the cd you cannot see outside of a old mac etc.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Does Revenant keep constantly respawning enemies? I remember monsters coming up SECONDS after I got rid of them, not sure if demo or full game was thus.

It's in the full game, too. They *can* respawn immediately after you've left the screen.

I don't think Divinity 2 qualifies, it's not really open world and there's not all that much to do if I remember correctly.

Sacred 1 sounds almost exactly like what you want, I wonder if there are any games like Sacred that are not Sacred 2..?

Gerrard

Arcane
Skyrim has a jump key.

Though if you could transplant Amalurs combat into Skyrim it would be a huge improvement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom